Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12325 Discussions

Intel Display Audio doesn't offer 5.1 as a choice

Poulsbo2
Beginner

I have connected my NUC7i5BNH to my Bose home theater receiver and new LG 4K OLED TV.  When I connect via HDMI, the Intel Graphics Settings shows it as Bose Display which only offers HD1080 instead of 4K.  I suspected this was caused by the Bose receiver not passing the proper IDs through, so I bought an HDMI to HDMI+Optical splitter. I connected the HDMI directly to the TV and ran the optical connection to the Bose receiver.  This solved the video issue and I now get 4K. However, the Intel Display Audio driver was automagically installed and now I only get Stereo as an option.  Is there a way to get 5.1 audio? 

I downloaded the SSU scan utility and ran it. The report is attached. Let me know if there is anything else I should send.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
In a nutshell, the answer is no. The TV is going to report its capabilities, which only include 4K+stereo. Same goes for the receiver; even with a 4K TV downstream, a 1080p receiver is still only going to report 1080p.
There are two possibilities for resolving this. First and best, get a 4K receiver. Second, some TVs support downstream connections (of sound bars, etc.) and will pass on these capabilities to the input.
Hope this helps,
...S
Poulsbo2
Beginner

Scott,  thanks for your quick response.

Actually, this TV (LG OLED65C1PUB) does support surround sound modes including Atmos.  I get the part about the receiver only reporting that it only handles 1080p, but since I am bypassing the receiver with the audio (via the fiber optic half of the splitter).  I don't get why, in this case, the driver doesn't see the audio as coming from the NUC (independent of the TV) which should support multi-channel modes as well.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Have you verified that this HDMI+Optical splitter will actually return EDID data that indicates that the abstract downstream device supports surround sound (5.1 or otherwise)? There are tools around that will display the EDID data. I can only suggest that you look with one of these.

...S