Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12513 Discussions

Intel Driver & Support Assistant (Intel DSA) update "ALC1220 Audio Driver for Windows11 for NUC Kit"

juggernautjp
Novice
On Dec. 23, 2022, Intel Driver & Support Assistant (Intel DSA) notified "1 software update available" and further information as follows:

ALC1220 Audio Driver for Windows 11* for Intel® NUC Kit NUC13RNG & Intel® NUC Extreme Compute Element NUC13SBB Products

Description:
This package contains the driver for the Realtek ALC1220 Audio for Windows 11* for Intel® NUC Kit NUC13RNG and Intel NUC Extreme Compute Element NUC13SBB products.
Version: 10.0.22000.1
Release date: November 8, 2022
Size: 151.24 MB

See the following figure:

SnapCrab_NoName_2022-12-23_2-18-37_No-00.png

I updated the above driver, then it installed "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)" as the following figure:

SnapCrab_NoName_2022-12-23_2-52-59_No-00.png

My audio was set to "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)", and I had NO SOUND!

In order to fix the problem, I disabled the "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)", and I enabled "DELL S2721 QS" (see the following figure). Then I had sound, again.

SnapCrab_サウンド_2022-12-23_2-53-31_No-00.png

My computer's motherboard is "Gigabyte Technology X570S AERO G" (see the above Intel DSA page).

So I am wondering if the above driver for "Intel NUC Kit NUC13RNG & Intel® NUC Extreme Compute Element NUC13SBB Products" is related to my motherboard (Gigabyte Technology X570S AERO G) or not.

Also in order to fix the problem, I installed the "Realtek HD Audio Driver (v6.0.9235.1) " for "Gigabyte Technology X570S AERO G".

It uninstalled "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)" and installed "Realtek Digital Output" (with ready status) 
as the following figure:

SnapCrab_サウンド_2022-12-23_2-53-41_No-00.png

For your investigation, I attached the logs from C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA in this post.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello juggernautjp,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA).

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Just to confirm, you have a desktop computer and Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) provided you with a NUC audio driver. Is that correct?

2. Just to confirm, when you installed the driver provided by Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA), did you lose the sound?

3. Have you try uninstalling and reinstalling Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)?

4. Did you have any audio issues before installing the driver provided by the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

juggernautjp
Novice

> 1. Just to confirm, you have a desktop computer and Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) provided you with a NUC audio driver. Is that correct?

I have desktop computer built by myself, with the following parts:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X570S AERO G

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

And I installed Intel® DSA to it.

But I have no NUC audio driver. See the following figure, output by Intel DSA.

SnapCrab_NoName_2023-1-6_2-1-21_No-00.png

> 2. Just to confirm, when you installed the driver provided by Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA), did you lose the sound?

No, before December 22, 2022 update by Intel DSA.

I lost the sound, after I installed 

"ALC1220 Audio Driver for Windows* 11 for Intel® NUC Kit NUC13RNG and Intel® NUC Extreme Compute Element NUC13SBB Products" by Intel DSA.

Currently, my computer's situation is the follows:

SnapCrab_NoName_2023-1-6_2-9-21_No-00.png

I currently have sound, after I uninstalled it and reinstalled "Realtek audio driver for Gigabyte X570S AERO G".

> 3. Have you try uninstalling and reinstalling Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)?

No. I think I do not have to reinstall Intel DSA, because the problem is related to only the above "Realtek sound driver for NUC".

So I do not install it, which advised by Intel DSA. (In the above figure, "Installation unknown" means "Not installed".)

> 4. Did you have any audio issues before installing the driver provided by the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)?

No, I did have no audio issues, before installing the above "Realtek audio driver for NUC".

Also, I have no sound problem on another computer built by myself, with the following parts:

Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 BOX

I think that Intel DSA misidentified "Gigabyte X570S AERO G" is "Intel NUC kit" or "Intel NUC Extreme Compute Element".

juggernautjp
Novice

> Also, I have no sound problem on another computer built by myself, with the following parts:

> Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

> CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 BOX

Because Intel DSA do not show the

"ALC1220 Audio Driver for Windows* 11 for Intel® NUC Kit NUC13RNG and Intel® NUC Extreme Compute Element NUC13SBB Products"

update on the computer with "MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI" motherboard.

Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @juggernautjp

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @juggernautjp

Thank you for the information provided. 

Please be aware that the Intel® DSA is only recommended for Intel products, you have a Gigabyte motherboard and Realtek audio driver. 

This audio "Realtek ALC1220 Audio for Windows 11* for Intel® NUC Kit NUC13RNG and Intel NUC Extreme Compute Element NUC13SBB products" is only for Intel® NUC products and you have a Desktop computer, so you need to check with your Motherboard Manufacturer the audio driver you need for your system or check this audio with them. This might be the reason why you have audio issues, since the driver you installed was not made for your system. 

However, I would like to investigate why the Intel® DSA recommended you an Intel® NUC driver when you have a Desktop computer, could you please send us an Intel® SSU report and the DSA folders? 

Intel® SSU Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Steps to get the DSA Folders:  

1. Go to C:/ProgramData/Intel/DSA 
  2. Sometimes the ProgramData folder is a hidden folder, so if you cannot see the folder, change the settings to show all hidden files
  • For Win7: In File Manager, choose Organizefolder & search options, click View tab, under Advanced Settings and make sure the radial button is marked for Show hidden files, folders and drivers. 
    • For Win8, 10 & 11: In File Explorer, choose the View tab at the top of the page and check the box for hidden items to be shown. 
  1. Right click on the DSA folder. 
  2. Click on Send to. 
  3. Click on Compressed (zipped) folder. 
  4. Save it in the desire location and post it here. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

juggernautjp
Novice

Both MSI and Gigabyte motherboards that I have built to my desktop are having Intel Bluetooth chip and Intel Wireless adapter for Wifi (see. the figure output by Intel DSA posted before).

So I usually update those drivers by Intel DSA, and it is convenient for me to update the correct driver by Intel DSA to Intel chips on my motherboards.

According to your request, I attached Intel SSU report (named SSU_2023_0114.txt) and DSA folders (named DSA_2023_0114.zip) in this post.

Thank you in advance,

Katsutoshi Harada

Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @juggernautjp

While Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) can detect and offer upgrades for many of the drivers and software that are available on Download Center, you may have an Intel product that isn’t supported by this tool. Before you use Intel® DSA, refer to this page to ensure that your product is compatible with Intel® DSA. 

In any case, you installed an Audio Driver that was designed for our Intel® NUCs and you have an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) system, your issue is caused due to a drivers conflict since an Intel NUC Audio driver was installed for a non-Intel product. 

Our recommendation is contacting your OEM Manufacturer for further assistance and install the drivers directly from them as they were designed for your system. 

Regarding the IDSA issue, we will proceed to investigate further. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

juggernautjp
Novice
Thank you for your information.

> Before you use Intel® DSA, refer to this page to ensure that your product is compatible with Intel® DSA.

According to your advice mentioned above, I checked if "Gigabyte Technology X570S AERO G" motherboard is compatible with Intel® DSA or not.

The "Gigabyte Technology X570S AERO G" has the device drivers of "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)" and "Inte(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz". (see. the following figure)

SnapCrab_サウンド_2023-1-18_4-2-6_No-00.png

"Inte(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz" is supported by Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters of Intel DSA,
and "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)" is supported by Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 and Windows 11* of Intel DSA.

So I think that Intel DSA support (i.e. can update) both the Intel chip drivers on the "Gigabyte Technology X570S AERO G" motherboard.

Katsutoshi Harada

Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @juggernautjp

It is correct that you have Intel Components (Bluetooth and wireless), however, the IDSA tool provides Intel Generic drivers, Generic software is an off-the-shelf product designed for many consumers and can meet many clients' general requirements. Since you have an OEM system (third party unit), you need to contact or search in the OEM's website for the customized drivers for your system accordingly, Custom software is a bespoke design developed to meet one client's specific needs (like OEMs). 

As additional information, we recommend you to contact your OEM for a customized driver tool that was designed for your system to avoid this situation, as is the audio driver issue you have now. 

Regarding the NUC audio driver offered by IDSA, the issue was fixed during the day, on December 22nd and it should not happen anymore. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.