Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11308 Discussions

Intel Driver & Support Assistant resulting in an endless scan.

MrMinks
Beginner

Hi,

So over the month of December 2020 the Intel Driver & Support Assistant has stopped working - noticed it at the end of November / early December.

When I go to click "Check for new drivers" in the system tray it loads my default browser as it should (Edge Chromium) and tries to scan for the updates... however, it doesn't finish, it never stops spinning ("Scanning your system...").

IDSA version: 20.11.50.9

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
37 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

MrMinks, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

For this specific scenario, we recommend to try scanning with a different browser, the Intel® DSA only works with the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox and Edge. You can also try to clear the browser cache then try rescanning the Intel® DSA tool again.

If the problem persists, run the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller version 20.11.50.9:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30068/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant-Uninstaller?v=t

Restart and install the latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant tool version 20.10.42.5:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28425/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant?product=128824

-If the issue remains, please provide the latest file from Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

-The latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller log file: using File Explorer, search for DSAUninstaller.log

-The latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant log files: using File Explorer: go to folder = C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA, and zip the Log files or entire folder.

Note: Uncheck "Hide System Files" to see the AppData folder.

Show hidden files

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

MrMinks
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Thank you for getting back to me.

So, I have tried the uninstaller and DSA reinstall solution multiple times now (trying before I created my original post from the various other threads on this forum), but it still will not work. I have also tried with multiple browsers (of what has been suggested), to no avail.

I am wondering if the problem is to do with the latest update to the Intel DSA, because I had no problem with scanning before December 2020 and that's when it got updated to the latest version (20.11.50.9). Furthermore, you have suggested to install version "20.10.42.5", while the only version that is available to install is the latest (20.11.50.9), from the link you have provided. I can see why, but having a version list of downloads would be nice - you' know, to self-troubleshoot the problem.

Anyway, since I can't download that specific version (which I suspect would actually fix the problem), I have bundled my log files for you. Please see attached.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi MrMinks, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the reports.

You mentioned, "you have suggested to install version "20.10.42.5", while the only version that is available to install is the latest (20.11.50.9),", yes, that is correct, let me apologize for that, actually, that version is newer and is the one that we recommend to currently use in order to fix the problem. We will also take into consideration your recommendation about "having a version list of downloads".

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

MrMinks
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Thanks. I'll await your update.

- MrMinks

MrMinks
Beginner

Hi Albert,

So, I've got some news.

A Windows 10 notification came to my surprise today, telling me I had Intel driver updates (specifically the Intel UHD Graphics 630 Windows 10 DCH driver)... Somehow, for some reason, it just worked... Well, I thought so anyway.

No more endless scans at that point. I'm not quite sure why it wanted to work but it did. However, this is where another novel issue resided; once it finished scanning and told me to update the DCH driver, I pressed download and it would just linger on 0% downloading for ages; long enough to make me find the driver version in the Driver and Software tab (Download Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers) and install it manually. The manual download and install worked and I'm now up to date with the latest DCH graphics driver (27.20.100.9126). The version of the DCH graphics driver I had previously was 27.20.100.9030 released on 11/27/2020.

After restarting my machine twice for the install to do it's thing, I went back to the DSA in the system tray to Check For New Drivers, and behold the endless scanning was yet again prominent... I cannot get anywhere from this Scanning your system screen, again.

So, I've managed to install a new update (albeit manually), and I'm back at the same place as before; endless scanning.

Best,

MrMinks

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi MrMinks, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates, I just received an update on this matter.

Thank you very much for sharing your files as well. Just to let you know, our Developer Team has reviewed the documents and they determined that this is actually a known issue that will be addressed in our upcoming driver release at the end of January. Once installed, you should be able to successfully re-scan after that update. Details will be posted in our Intel® Community Announcements:

https://community.intel.com/

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MrMinks, I just received an update on this matter.

I just wanted to inform you that there will be a new driver release at the end of the month with the fix for this issue. Please watch the Community Announcements for the specific day it is released and then re-try the scan then. The new version will be released next January 28th.

Regards,

Albert R.

MrMinks
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Thanks for the information and notification. I'll be sure to watch out for that January 28th update.

If I still have issues for whatever reason after updating, I will reply here.

Best,

MrMinks

tns49
Novice

Hopefully the update comes out today as planned.  I don't see it at the moment.

For those of us who were having a problem with this earlier, it was determined to me something in the way it was handling some Seagate External drives.  If the Intel DSA fix doesn't come out soon, a bypass is to Shutdown, temporarily disconnect the Seagate Drive, Start the computer and run Intel DSA.  

tns49
Novice

Fix did come out 1/28/21.  Note it  is a bit odd in the install as their is a message about uninstalling, But it now seems to work.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi MrMinks, Thank you very much for your response.

Perfect, excellent, no problem at all, take your time to test the new driver release and once you get the chance please let us know the results on this thread so, if necessary, we can further assist you with this topic.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

MrMinks, I just received an update on this matter.

The new version of the Intel® Driver Support Assistant is now available:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28425/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant

Please install it, and if the problem persists after that please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

And the latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant log files: using File Explorer: go to folder = C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA, and zip the Log files or entire folder.

Show hidden files

tns49, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

It is great to hear the problem got fixed for you after installing the latest version of Intel® Driver Support Assistant.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MrMinks, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

MrMinks
Beginner
Hi Albert,

Sorry for not getting back to this thread sooner. I updated the software and it managed to scan successfully (scanned and found both a Graphics and Bluetooth update). However, once I tried to download either of them, the same thing would happen as before - the download would just linger on 0% and wouldn't move (waited at least 15 minutes).

So, I ended up just searching for the updates the scan found, and downloaded and installed them all manually. Scanned after a restart and the scan didn't find any more updates. A workaround to a degree, but really the download should work, too.

If you require any log files again (for this download issue), just ask and I’ll send them here.

Best,
MrMinks
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi MrMinks, No problem at all, thank you very much for letting us know those results.

We are sorry to hear part of the issue still persists regarding the download of the drivers.

Sure, please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

And the latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant log files: using File Explorer: go to folder = C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA, and zip the Log files or entire folder.

Show hidden files

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MrMinks, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

MrMinks
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Sorry for the delay.

Here are my up-to-date DSA (whole folder) and SSU logs.

Best,

MrMinks

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi MrMinks, No problem at all, thank you very much for providing the Intel® DSA and SSU logs.

We will continue with our research on this subject, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MrMinks, I just received an update on this matter.

After that our developer reviewed the files they said that the logs provided are from after the drivers were manually installed, so we cannot see any information in the logs about the download issue being reported. That was most likely a temporary network issue, it should be resolved by now but if it still persists, please provide the new logs if you run into this issue again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MrMinks, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.