Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12546 Discussions

Intel Driver & Support Assistant stuck at Scanning Your System, exception in logs

Leamsi
Beginner

I've been having this issue for a few (2 or 3, I can't remember) weeks now. Before that, Intel DSA had been working fine for the last 2 years or more. Then one day I got a notification that I had some updates to install. When I opened the site it showed me a few updates, I tried to install one of them but it said it had an error... I refreshed the page and ever since then it's been stuck on "Scanning your system".

I have tried uninstalling DSA using the uninstaller, then rebooting, then reinstalling again. Several times. Yet it still stuck.

I went looking for the logs and I find this line at the end of the service logs for today's attempt at fixing it:

04/18/2022 10:20:23 -07:00 13804:11 Error DSAServiceCore.Controllers.Session.SessionController OnStart () Exception while starting session: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.|| at DSAServiceCore.Controllers.Session.PopulateSessionController.PopulateResults(ISettingsRead readOnlySettings, OsDetails computerDsaOperatingSystem, Boolean isIntelSystem)|| at DSAServiceCore.Controllers.Session.PopulateSessionController.<Populate>d__1.MoveNext()||--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---|| at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)|| at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)|| at DSAServiceCore.Controllers.Session.SessionController.<Populate>d__3.MoveNext()||--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---|| at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)|| at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)|| at DSAServiceCore.Controllers.Session.SessionController.<StartActions>d__12.MoveNext()||--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---|| at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)|| at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)|| at DSAServiceCore.Controllers.Session.SessionController.<OnStart>d__8.MoveNext() { }

The full logs are attached.

Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Leamsi, I just received an update on this matter.

While we were working on this matter, just to let you know, the Intel® DSA developers did find an issue with the app and have implemented a fix which will be pushed live to production by Wed May 11. The new version coming next week is (v22.3.20) and it should resolve this issue.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

Leamsi, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the Intel® NUC?

Is this a new Intel® NUC?

When did you purchase it?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

-For this scenario, we recommend scanning with different browsers. The ones that are supported by Intel® DSA are: Chrome, Firefox and Edge. 

-Then you can also try to clear the browser cache and then rescanning the Intel® DSA tool again.

-Also, click “Refresh Results” on the menu on the left-hand side of the Intel® DSA scan page (this acts as a complete “start over” for the service).

-Reboot the system. (in case the “Refresh page” isn’t enough of a “start over”)

If the problem persists, even though you mentioned that you already tried to uninstall and reinstall the tool again, just to confirm, run the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller version 22.2.14.5:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19333/intel-driver-support-assistant-uninstaller.ht...

Restart and install the latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant tool version 22.2.14.5:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18002/intel-driver-support-assistant.html?wapkw=dsa

If the issue remains, besides the files that you already provided, please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Leamsi
Beginner

Thanks for getting back at me Alberto!

Let me answer your questions:

> What is the model of the Intel® NUC?

NUC8i7BEH

> Is this a new Intel® NUC?

Not new by any of my measures

> When did you purchase it?

Nov 2019

> Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

No hardware changes at all.

I don't think there were any software changes before this.

> Which Windows* version are you using?

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 (21H2)

> Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Home

> For this scenario, we recommend scanning with different browsers. The ones that are supported by Intel® DSA are: Chrome, Firefox and Edge. 

Thanks, I just tried with Chrome (100.0.4896.88 (Official Build(64-bit) (cohort: Stable)), and also with Edge (Version 100.0.1185.44 (Official build) (64-bit)). 

> Also, click “Refresh Results” on the menu on the left-hand side of the Intel® DSA scan page (this acts as a complete “start over” for the service).

I don't see any menus at all, all that I see is the "Scanning your system..." message with an animated circle above (attached a screenshot)

> Reboot the system. (in case the “Refresh page” isn’t enough of a “start over”)

Thanks. I've tried rebooting several times and rerunning DSA after rebooting, and I get the same results.

> Uninstall and Reinstall

Tried one more time with your links just in case... still not working

> please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components

Done.

Thanks!

Alberto_R_Intel

Leamsi, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists after trying the troubleshooting steps provided previously. We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel

While we are currently working on your case, could you please provide the following logs, these folders will provide information on all the changes that happen during updates and initialization of the Intel® DSA., there are two methods to do it:

Method #1:

1. Go to C:/ProgramData/Intel/DSA
  2. Right click on the DSA folder.
  3. Click on "Send to."
  4. Click on "Compressed (zipped) folder."
  5. Save it in the desire location.

Method #2:

1. Open Intel® DSA on the browser of your preference.
  2. Go to "Settings."
  3. Find the "Folder Location" field.
  4. Click on the hyperlink of the location.
  5. Select the three folders shown and then, right click.
  6. Click on "Send to."
  7. Click on "Compressed (zipped) folder."
  8. Save it in the desired location.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Leamsi, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Leamsi
Beginner

Hi Albert!

Please find the zip for the DSA folder attached.

Thanks for your continued help!

Alberto_R_Intel

Hi Leamsi, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing the logs.

We will continue with our research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel

While we were working on this matter, just to let you know, the Intel® DSA developers did find an issue with the app and have implemented a fix which will be pushed live to production by Wed May 11. The new version coming next week is (v22.3.20) and it should resolve this issue.

Regards,

Albert R.

Leamsi
Beginner

Looks like I got the update and I can see DSA working again

Thanks a lot Albert and team!

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Leamsi, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

"Looks like I got the update and I can see DSA working again", Perfect, excellent, it is great to know that the Intel® DSA tool is now working properly again after installing the update.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.