Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11294 Discussions

Intel Hades Canyon NUC8i7HVK not booting!

Prymefactor
Beginner

Hi all,

I have an NUC8i7HVK hades canyon, and its been a  great experience until lately. The desktop has stopped booting. 

When you push the power button, the skull logo flashes on briefly and then it does off.  I've tried checking online but i can't see the issue. 

Help, please? Has anyone had this before? i'm attaching a video here to show the issue.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Disconnect the Power Adapter and the CMOS Battery Connector. Reconnect them after 15 minutes.

Leon

Prymefactor
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Thanks for the response. I tried this, but unfortunately it still isn't working. 

After disconnecting the CMOS battery connector for 15+ minutes, The power (skull) LED initially lt up for about 3 seconds (up from the 1 second earlier) but still goes off.   After trying for a while, it's now back to going off after a second.

I also noticed that the desktop  skull LED comes on  for a few seconds when I plug the power adapter, even with the power button not being pressed. 

Not sure what else to do 

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Looked at the video clip, attached to your first post and I notice that your NUC is white? I assume that this is color distortion in your video. You may try the following:

2. Check the supply voltage on the Power Adapter connector. It should be 19.5 VDC (+/- 10%). Or, check with other power adapter (the power consumption in idle, whiteout any devices connected >30W).

3. Power ON your NUC with CMOS Battery disconnected (if NUC will boot, you will see CMOS battery warning).

4. Power ON your NUC in minimum hardware configuration. Remove the SSD and leave only one SODIMM in slot at time. In this configuration (only with one SO DIMM), you should see the INTEL NUC logo and after clicking on F2, be able to enter BIOS.

Leon

LeonWaksman
Super User

One question more - what event proceeded this failure? Did it occurred after attempt to update BIOS?

Leon

Prymefactor
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Thanks for your suggestions

I will try to get an alternative power brick to test it out with. Its the standard 19.5V, 11.8 A adapter i've been using so far.

I tried booting with the CMOS battery disconnected and also with the minimum configuration (SSD unplugged, just one RAM stick). Still the same issue of the desktop powering on for just one second. 

I don't recall trying to update the BIOS prior to this failure. I do recall having some boot issues in the past when it would go to Bios and I would have to force reboot to get into Windows, but that happened infrequently.  Another odd quirk that would happen once in a while would be the system no powering up until i unplugged and plugged back in the power cord at the back, then it woud power up. But other than that, it had been working fine.

I've attached videos of the tests i did

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi,

When testing boot with one RAM stick only, did you checked both sticks in both slots?

Leon

Prymefactor
Beginner

Hi Leon,

I'd tested the RAM in both slots earlier. 

I went out and found a similar rated power adapter (19.5v, 11.8A) and tested it with the NUC. Same issue. So i believe that rules out the power adapter. 

I wonder if this is a power related issue? Because as soon as i plug in the power supply, the LED light comes on, even without hitting the power button. And in the past (when the desktop was working),  sometimes it would fail to power on until i unplug and replug the power cable at the back. 

LeonWaksman
Super User

Well, could be that you have failure in the Power Supply Circuit. I don't have any other idea right now to help you. Wait and see tomorrow if somebody from Intel Engineering will help you. In the mean time check the Warranty Coverage for your NUC. If it is still covered by the three years warranty, you may issue a request for RMA.

Leon

Prymefactor
Beginner

I checked, and it's still covered until April 2022. I think i'll try the RMA approach. 

Thanks for your help!