Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12309 Discussions

Intel NUC 11 with vPro does not recognize 2.5" SATA ssd

awoodendoll
Beginner

I bought my NUC and assembled it with the parts. I use 2 SSDs which are M.2 NVMe and the SATA 2.5" drive. M.2 works totally fine but NUC BIOS does not recognize the 2.5" SSDs (WD wds500g2b0a). Also, I found some sharp folded lines on the SATA flex cable. 

I wonder if the folded cable is the reason why my SSD is not recognized or is that becasue my SSD is bad out of the box? Can the community give me some advices?

I will add some of the folded lines in the flex cable

IMG-7702 - Copy.jpgIMG-7703 - Copy.jpgIMG-7704 - Copy.jpg

IMG-7706 - Copy.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

I would also check if the 2.5" SSD is inserted up to the end, making good contact with the Drive Bay connector. This video showing how to build similar NUC may help you (you may start to watch at 11:10) How To Build An Intel Gen 11 NUC

Leon

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @awoodendoll 

The fold in the flex cable doesn't look like a problem. On the images attached to your post, I can't see how the flex cable is seating in its connector (see the red circle in the attached image). Can you check this connection? Can you attach an image showing it?

Leon

awoodendoll
Beginner

Hi @LeonWaksman 

Thank you for the reply

These are the images of the connector. I try to push it down and think that it is already tightly connected. The images may be hard to see because there is another flex connector above it (I cannot pull it out).

IMG-7707 - Copy.jpgLower left of the pictureLower left of the picture

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @awoodendoll 

Tank you to provide the images. I can see that the flat cable is seating well in the connector. Try check how does it works with an other 2.5" SSD or HDD. You may borrow one from laptop? Could be that there is a compatibility problem or the NUC has a hardware failure.

Leon

LeonWaksman
Super User

I would also check if the 2.5" SSD is inserted up to the end, making good contact with the Drive Bay connector. This video showing how to build similar NUC may help you (you may start to watch at 11:10) How To Build An Intel Gen 11 NUC

Leon

awoodendoll
Beginner

Thank you for the reply

It finally works but I am not sure why. (It probably the connections?)

I have done the re-installation of the ssd many times and it doesn't work at all. And I did set the BIOS to default settings (F9 optimized options). After that, not immediately but I try few more times and it just work...

I did restart many times and SATA ssd still read. So, hopefully the good condition persists. Now I can proceed to the OS installation.

Thanks a lot for the help! I will mark the thread as solved.