Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12532 Discussions

Intel NUC 12 Pro Kit Ram issue

Henrimon
New Contributor I

Hello,

I have an Intel NUC12WSKI7 and unfortunately it won't boot when I use two sticks of rams.

The following happened: I wanted to install an OS on my NUC and I wasn't able to boot on a usb stick. I had some trouble in the past and I noticed I had not the last bios version. So I updated the bios by downloading the version "OS indenpendant" on the page

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/739909/bios-update-wsadl357.html

First I had the 0085 version and I updated to 0086. With version 0085 I was able to enter in the bios with two sticks of RAM. After updating the bios, I switch on my nuc and the light on the power button turn off after 2-3 seconds. I'm not able to enter in the BIOS. I see nothing on my screen. I use two sticks of RAM Crucial 16GB 3200 MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM.

By chance, I discovered if I use only one stick of RAM, I can access my bios. It doesn't matter which stick I use. With both sticks, it works. I haven't tested the two slots in the nuc. As soon as I put the two sticks in the two slots, my nuc won't boot. With bios 0085 I was able to get in my bios with the two sticks in the two slots.

I have another stick at home of 8Gb. It's interesting to note, if I use one stick of 16Gb and the stick of 8Gb, I can access my bios and it recognized the 24 Gb RAM, even if they are not from the same producer.

Any idea what could be the problem ? I would like to know where is the problem.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello Henrimon,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with your Intel® NUC 12 Pro Kit NUC12WSKi7, I will be glad to assist you.

Please provide the following information:

As well, have you tried changing the memory modules from one slot to another?

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

Henrimon
New Contributor I

Hello @Steven_Intel ,

thank you for your answer.

• to update the BIOS I have used the F7 method. I have donwloaded the os independant BIOS version and put on an usb stick. I'm not sure anymore my usb stick is formatted with fat. But for sure the nuc was able to find the CAP file on my usb stick and update my BIOS.
  • with only one ram stick, my nuc starts without problem. So I have installed linux on my nuc. My system works at the moment, I can access it remotely with ssh. But only with 16Gb of ram, not with 32Gb.

If I switch the memory modules, it also doesn't work. If I switch on, I see the light of the power button and it disappears after 2-3 seconds. I can hear that  my nuc is not powered off, because I can hear some noise.

I tried each memory modules in each slots. Each time I put a memory module in a slot and I tried to get into the BIOS. Let's say I have memory module 1 and 2. On the nuc, there is an "above" and "below" slot. For memory module 1, I can get to the bios without problems with the two slots. With module 2, in the above slot, it works. In the "below" slot, I have trouble to access my bios. Very often nothing happens on my screen. After the start, I only see one black screen.

By the way, when I start my nuc, I don't see the splash screen with the information with which key I can get to the bios. If you have a fix, it would be welcome.

Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your detailed response.

I am going to work on this. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Hello Henrimon,

Since there is one memory module that works just in one of the slots, please try another memory kit and check if the issue persists.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Henrimon
New Contributor I

Hello @Steven_Intel ,

I had to think about it, because I had no other memory module of 16 GB. So I bought other memory modules and it works! But I find it really strange. I have replace my memory modules with some modules with the same specifications: 2x16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz SO-DIMM 1.2 V. The only difference I can see, this time they are not from crucial, I have bought corsair vengeance. I have bought from corsair, because before my nuc was able to boot with one module of crucial and one module of corsair.

I have at home a nuc 11 (Nuc 11 Pro Intel Core i7-1165G7) and if I put the two memory modules of crucial in it, I can access the bios without problems. If I do the same on the nuc 12, it doesn't work.

For me it works now, so it's ok. But I don't know on your side if you think it's necessary to search for a possible issue. Just let me know.

Regards.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Henrimon 

Please write the P/N of the Crucial and Corsair SO DIMMs, you have.

Leon

Henrimon
New Contributor I

Hi @LeonWaksman ,

what you mean by P/N ? Where can I find the information, on the modules ?

Sorry but it's the first time I hear about this.

Thank you!

LeonWaksman
Super User

The P/N (Part Number) is located on the SO DIMM label (see the attached images for an example).

Leon

Henrimon
New Contributor I

Thank you @LeonWaksman .

On the Crucial modules:

- CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FRS

- CT16G4SFRA32A.C8FB

On the Corsair modules:

- CMSX32GX4M2A3200C22

- CMSX32GX4M2A3200C22

Interesting, the P/N numbers are the same on the Corsair modules. Perhaps an interesting infomation. I bought a set of 2x16Gb memory modules for the Corsair. For the Crucial, they are from two different sellers, so I didn't buy them as a set. Could it lead to a problem ?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Henrimon 

Thank you for the information. The Corsair modules you bought, having the same P/N of memory kit containing 2x16GB modules. Buying a kit assures proper operation of memory in double RAM mode.  Good to know that this set is compatible with NUC12WSSKi7.

The Crucial memory modules are of the same P/N as well, however with different extension, which I don't know the meaning. I presume that there are from different series of production.  This however should not cause the problem you got (not be able to boot).

Leon