cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel NUC 6CAYH: BIOS Update hangs and NUC doesn't restart

Hello,

yesterday I started a BIOS update out of Windows 10 on my Intel NUC 6CAYH. After the nuc restarted, I saw, that some tasks of the installation have finished, but then it stuck for a longer time at a task named something like boot partition. Not sure anymore, sorry.

As it was running for approximately 30 minutes, I decided to go to bed and let the installation run over the night. After 10 hours I again had a look on the state of the installation. And it still was at that task I mentioned above.

I then tried to restart the NUC in hope, the update broke and made a roleback. But that wasn't the task. I googled a little bit and found information on the official Intel page how to restore the bios. Following that I should press the power button for three seconds and release it. Afterwards I should see something on the screen, but that wasn't the case.

Can you please help me, how to restore the old bios? Are there perhaps also some jumper I can set like for other NUC models?

Thanks and kind regards,

Felix

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

You may try to recover BIOS using Bios Security Jumper Removed Method:

1. Prepare USB stick (8GB - 32GB), fully formatted to FAT32. Download the latest bios file AY0066.bio and save on this USB.
  2. Disconnect the Power Adapter from your NUC.
  3. Remove the bottom cover (after unscrewing the 4 screw).
  4. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. See page 50 in Technical Product Specification.
  5. Insert the USB stick with the bios file into rear USB slot.
  6. Reconnect the Power Adapter and power ON your NUC.
  7. The recovery process should start automatically after 30 sec - 60 seconds and en within few minutes.
  8. After Bios recover is completed, depress and hold the Power Button unit NUC is OFF. Remove the USB stick.
  9. Disconnect the Power Adapter.
  10. Replace the Bios Security Jumper between pins 1-2. Close the bottom cover.
  11. Reconnect the Power Adapter and power ON your NUC.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Good morning Leon,

thanks a lot for your fast response. I'll try this as soon as I'm at home tonight. Hopefully I have a usb stick with at least 8 gb, otherwise it'll take some days until I bought one. ;)

Kind regards,

Felix

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Felix,

Since the size of AY0066.bio file is less than 12 MB, you can use any USB stick you will find at home. Do not forget to fully format it to FAT 32 (disable the quick format option). Format the USB stick only in Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC).

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Leon,

thanks a lot! I was not sure, if the file is unpacked and something additionally downloaded, or something like that, so there is a need for at 8 GB. I now did it with a 1 GB stick and it worked quite fine. Now, the whole NUC is running again as before the crash.

Thanks for your great help!

Kind regards,

Felix

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I was glad to help you.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos