cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel NUC 6i7KYK Headless

Hello,

There are a lot of topics on this, but - it's possible to run NUC without a monitor? It looks like when it boots up it dies as there is no attached display.

- normally to kill the device it's necessary to keep the button pressed for a few seconds

- when there is no display, it got killed immediatelly (thus I suppose it dies even before any system got booted up)

So - do you know how to solve this quite annoying feature of a device without any kind of "dummy" dongle? For me it's on the edge to return the device .

Thanks for the help,

M.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello marek-hanzal,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC Community. I can sure help with your question.

First I would like to confirm in which scenario will you be using the Intel® NUC headless. Will you be using RealVNC?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello - thank you .

The purpose is just headless SSH server as a member of Docker Swarm; basically I do not need dongle to have hi-res output, but probably it would be the only solution to keep the machine booting (ok, I must be fair to say that small thing is *** powerful!).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Marek,

The NUC is designed to boot and work without monitor attached (also keyboard and mouse need not to be attached). See para. 3.7.2 in Product Technical Spec.: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC6i7KYK_TechProdSpec.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC6i7KYK_TechProdSpec.pdf

What happens with your NUC after Power Button is depressed, depends on system settings. In my NUC (with Windows 10 Pro), after short depressing, the NUC shuts OFF. You can verify that your NUC is working after booting without monitor. Just connect a monitor after some time and you will see that it is working.

Leon

0 Kudos