cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dveneski
Employee

Intel NUC 6i7KYK

Good evening - 

I opened up a NUC 6i7KYK today and finally dropped in 32 GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.  Booted up, installed windows, and it worked for most of the day.  Rebooted, and it failed to turn on.  I've cracked it open, reseated the RAM a couple of times (different combinations - 1 stick, 2 sticks, swapping slots, etc), reseated the hard drive.  Still no power.  I press the power button and the fan clicks and jigs back and forth slightly - no rotation.  I'm stuck - any advice?  Even though it's an older machine, it is literally fresh out of the box and I'd like to put it to good use.  Do I need to remove the fan, clean/lube it and put it back in? Thanks in advance.....kind of bummed as I was excited to use it.

Best,

David

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello dveneski

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

If the fan of the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK is not spinning or working properly, it may lead to overheating issues and cause the NUC to not boot to prevent further problems or damage.

Just to make sure, are you able to reach the BIOS on POST? If the answer is yes, could you please try the following:

Try different fan control settings in BIOS:

1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. In the CPU Fan Header pane, experiment with setting Fan Control Mode to Balanced and Cool.
  3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup.

If the fan is not spinning at all check if RPM is zero: Go to Advanced > Cooling > Performance Monitoring. Please check if something is obstructing the fan. You may also try to clean the fan and radiators with compressed air.

Also, just to discard power issues, are you connecting the Intel® NUC directly to an AC outlet? Or by any chance have you tried different power adapters?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

dveneski
Employee

Hi Andrew - 

Thank you very much for the reply. I can manually spin the fan when I crack open the case - doesn't seem to be an issue, however when I press the power button, it doesn't spin - rather just gyrates back and forth and I hear a clicking noise.....  I have disengaged the power from a power strip and straight into AC - same result. I've also tried an alternative power source - again, same result.  It was working just fine until I tried to activate windows.  Weird.

Thanks,

David

AndrewG_Intel

Hello dveneski

Thank you for your response.

We would like to recommend performing a BIOS Recovery on your Intel® NUC. Please kindly refer to the following link for the proper instructions including a video for guidance:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/intel-nuc.html

There are two options to perform the BIOS Recovery process:

• BIOS Recovery by Power Button Menu
  • BIOS Recovery by Security Jumper (recommended)

You can download from the below link the .bio file required for this process:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29814/BIOS-Update-KYSKLi70-86A-?product=89187

Please let us know if this helps to solve the problem or if you have additional concerns.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello dveneski

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

dveneski
Employee

Thank you - I am still working on this and will try some of your suggestions below.  I really appreciate the help - I will circle back.

David

AndrewG_Intel

Hello dveneski

Thank you for your response.

Perfect! Take your time and feel free to post any details or feedback regarding the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello dveneski

We would like to know if you were able to try the last suggestions provided. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello dveneski

We are checking this thread but we have not heard back from you. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. Thank you for your understanding.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.