Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AMEDV
Novice

Intel NUC HVK - does not boot (broken) ?

Jump to solution

I can not boot nor reset BIOS in my NUC anymore

Before that. Did nothing bad - after getting feedback about other problem, (with the fan, here ) that running with "cool" profile setting for some time can fix the fan I switch to "cool" profile and run AIDA stress testing for 5 min. Even with "cool" profile there was some throttling (<7%) but CPU temp did not go over 98 degrees so nothing criminal. I stopped the test normally, and rebooted the unit. After that it won't boot

Here the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq6OOw5KlVs Intel NUC Hades Canyon - YouTube

Resetting BIOS does not help, upgrading BIOS does not work (all hangs in the same place after showing the NUC logo, to be more precise, the unit just turns off)

I paid lots of money for it, invested in the best on the market SSD PRO Samsung drive and spent holidays setting up the environment, all in hope to have fast and reliable machine. This is not what I am getting.

This is the worst, most unstable piece of hardware I have seen for years. I am regretting my purshace and frankly want my money back. This piece does not cost the money I paid for it. With Intel support nonexistent (I have not yet heard back from them about fan problem ) and time running off since the date of purchase, I am deciding what to do it, (in any case it would be a problem to return it) It is a very strange piece of hardware, does not cost your time or money

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Andrew again,

I'm sorry for your troubles. But don't worry, you are not alone in this word. First, in this forum you may get good advice from other users and from Intel agents as well. Beside this, your NUC is covered by 3 years of international warranty. So, if for some reason NUC stop to work, you may ask for RMA and it will be replaced.

But now I wan't go back to your current problem. It's look to me that your bios was in some way corrupted. Instead form updating from the bios screen, you shall recover it. There two methods for bios recovery

- from the Power Button Menu ( I saw on your clip that you know how to boot into this menu)

- bios recovery with the security jumper removed.

Since recovery from Power Button Menu is an easy method, I'll give you description how to do this:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file HN0048.bio (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28038/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126143 Download BIOS Update [HNKBLi70.86A] ) on this stick and insert it into USB slot (NUC shall be OFF).
  2. Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. Alternately, the system will emit three short beeps from the PC speaker or headphones, if connected, then stop. If you see the LED color change or you hear the beeps, release the Power Button - NUC shall reboot into Power Button Menu.
  3. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
  4. When the recovery finishes, pull out the power cord.
  5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
  6. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  7. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
  8. If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings.

Note:

If for some reason you have difficulty to boot into Power Button Menu, you shall recover your Bios using Security Jumper method https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

One more thing - your Windows should be installed with the UEFI boot option. In the past I've given you link to the tutorial how to do this using Windows Installation Media: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html Windows 10 Help Forums

Wishing you success to fix your NUC

Leon

View solution in original post

4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Andmed,

I watched your video. I understand the frustration as I only just sorted mine out as well after whole week of testing.

I guess that's the price we pay for for early adopters.

I see you used the UEFI to update BIOS. Have you tried using the recovery function instead then load default setting to see if it works?

Also resetting the CMOS battery is also worth a shot as well as another user in another thread had the same no longer boot issue after an

BIOS update. He reset the CMOS battery and everything worked normally after.

Also try simply turning on the NUC without anything plugged in beside the power cord obviously just to rule out any connections/peripherals.

Hopefully something will help...

idata
Community Manager

Hi Andmed,

Okay from your video I noticed something not right with your CPU settings.

Below is from your video, i noticed the Max Processor Speed is at 0.8 Ghz. That is definitely not right, for HVK at

default setting should be 4.2 Ghz.

Here is mine in comparison.

Your CPU settings definitely got some issues in the BIOS. This may perhaps explain why it doesn't even boot as

the clock settings are somehow way off.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Andrew again,

I'm sorry for your troubles. But don't worry, you are not alone in this word. First, in this forum you may get good advice from other users and from Intel agents as well. Beside this, your NUC is covered by 3 years of international warranty. So, if for some reason NUC stop to work, you may ask for RMA and it will be replaced.

But now I wan't go back to your current problem. It's look to me that your bios was in some way corrupted. Instead form updating from the bios screen, you shall recover it. There two methods for bios recovery

- from the Power Button Menu ( I saw on your clip that you know how to boot into this menu)

- bios recovery with the security jumper removed.

Since recovery from Power Button Menu is an easy method, I'll give you description how to do this:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file HN0048.bio (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28038/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126143 Download BIOS Update [HNKBLi70.86A] ) on this stick and insert it into USB slot (NUC shall be OFF).
  2. Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. Alternately, the system will emit three short beeps from the PC speaker or headphones, if connected, then stop. If you see the LED color change or you hear the beeps, release the Power Button - NUC shall reboot into Power Button Menu.
  3. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
  4. When the recovery finishes, pull out the power cord.
  5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
  6. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  7. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
  8. If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings.

Note:

If for some reason you have difficulty to boot into Power Button Menu, you shall recover your Bios using Security Jumper method https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

One more thing - your Windows should be installed with the UEFI boot option. In the past I've given you link to the tutorial how to do this using Windows Installation Media: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html Windows 10 Help Forums

Wishing you success to fix your NUC

Leon

View solution in original post

AMEDV
Novice

Hello Leon

Thank you for this detailed post!

I am sorry I wrote OP but I was really disappointed at the moment, and problem with cooler just added to it(

I was able to recover just by resetting BIOS settings to defaults. I recall that I tried to reset BIOS from menu (when there is "disable fast boot" etc, there is also "reset BIOS" or something similar) but for some reason that did not work. Resetting BIOS settings just inside BIOS helped, NUC works fine

I like its design and engineering, I wish quality would be impeccable as well.

I got reply about defective cooler btw, hope this is going to be fixed soon