Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel NUC Kit NUC8i3BEK really slow - CPU clock stuck at 399 MHz

I just got this Intel NUC Kit NUC8i3BEK with these components

• Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT1000P1SSD8
  • Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 CL14 260-Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory HX424S14IB/16

I installed Windows 10. It took around an hour to install (in an older NUC5i3, using same SSD, it installed in around 15 minutes, from same USB key).

Once inside Windows, it's barely usable, opening windows start menu takes around 5 seconds, opening file explorer takes like 8 seconds.

I see no much CPU activity, or process using CPU (less than 5%) or memory

Already installed all windows updates, all intel drivers are up to date, BIOS is up to date.

I ran some benchmarks using geekbench, and I get really low scores.

I ran geekbench on an ubuntu live usb, just to discard a bad windows installation, and I got slightly better scores.

These are my geekbench results

windows: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1760956 105 single-core | 198 multi-core

linux: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1761446 118 single-core | 271 multi-core

I'm comparing against same NUC models

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/search?q=NUC8i3BEK

~950 single-core | ~2200 multi-core

Any suggestions of what could be wrong

Update:

Troubleshooting with suggestions in here, I noticed that the CPU clock is "stuck" at 399 MHz even when running performance tests like GeekBench.

Did some googling, and found some fixes that worked for other people, I tried them with no luck for me. SO here's what I tried so far:

• For the CMOS battery, disconnect, wait ~30 seconds and connect back
  • Check the fan is working properly (it's clean and not obstructed) and the CPU temperature is within limits (I saw from 30 to 40 C)
  • An app TPD from Intel crashing at the beginning of Windows boot
  • Enabling high/maximum performance profile in Windows power settings
  • Updating to latest BIOS
  • Reset BIOS to default settings
  • Recovery BIOS by Security Jumper
  • Reinstall Windows without internet access (no microsoft drivers), I downloaded all drivers for this NUC model from intel and installed them all, specially the chipset one being the first. And management engine. Then I connected the NUC to the internet to download any updates.
  • Just in case,, I check the voltage output from the ACDC adapter, and it's 19.23 V

( Added screen captures as a comment below )

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. Could be problem with the SSD? Can you check the SSD performance? Try to use the Crucial Storage Executive Tool. Check if the firmware is updated.
  2. Check if NUC Bios is updated to version 0078

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Other possibility is borderline bad memory. Kingston is on my sh!t list right now; try Crucial memory.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the reply LWAKSMAN

I check the SSD with Crucial Storage Executive Tool, firmware up to date P3CR013 and drive is in good health.

The BIOS is in the latest available version 0078 from 3/9/2020

What else could I try?

Omar

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the reply n.scott.pearson

How would you identify if the RAM is the issue?

So far I ran memtest86 without errors detected

And I don't have other DDR4 available to test.

Omar

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Frankly, the only way is to try different memory. MemTest86 and MemTest86+ are not infallible. I have memory (albeit DDR2) that passed all tests (including 48 hour burnin) yet failed in Windows operation.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I know Scott's opinion about Kingston RAM. However I'm using Kingston memory (both types: the Value RAM and the HyperX) and never get any problem. To verify if there is no RAM problem, you may power ON your NUC with only one SO DIMM module at time - first in the bottom slot and then in the upper. Use the CPU-Z (or similar) application to see the frequency that your RAM works. Click on the "memory" tab to see the actual speed and timings your ram is running.

Click on the "SPD" tab to see the memory rated speed and JEDEC and EPP timings.

Please set your Bios settings to default: press F9 followed by "Y" and then F10 confirmed by "Y"

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

In that case I would need to buy another one, as I have only one at the moment. Just that shipping are taking like a month to arrive and prices aren't that attractive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Usually, for a nominal charge, computer repair shops will let you use their memory to run a test like this or run the tests for you.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

So I checked with CPU-Z, and I don't see anything wrong.

I put here the screen captures in case I missed something.

I already tried restoring to BIOS defaults.

cpu-z_memory.jpgcpu-z_spd.jpg

Something I just noticed is the CPU clock is "stuck" at 399 Hz even when running geekbench, or CPU-Z stress CPU.

I'll update the top ticket and title with some screen captures

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Adding screen captures from Task Manager and HW Monitor a little after running some performance tests

TaskManager_performance.jpgHWMonitor.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

"So I checked with CPU-Z, and I don't see anything wrong." Yes, there is something wrong, the rated Frequency for your RAM has rated frequency 1200 MHz, but is running at 665.1 MHZ only. Your CPU has Based Speed 3.00 GHz and actually runs 10 times slower. So, at least now we know why your NUC is so slow. The question remains why the CPU is not running in as expected? If as you say, the Bios is set to default settings and you have saved those settings (i.e. pressed on F10 confirmed by "Y"), the problem may be hardware failure or unsuccessful Bios update.

Start with Bios update, using BIOS Recovery from Power Button Menu method:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BE0078.bio on this stick and insert it into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF). You may use also one of the rear USB ports (do not use front blue USB port, since sometime the USB stick is not recognized during boot process).
  2. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.
  3. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
  4. When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.
  5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
  6. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  7. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

In order to test your CPU, download and install Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool (64 bit). Run the test.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

So I did a BIOS Recovery by the Power Menu Button, and the CPU clock still fixed at 399 MHz when running some performance tests.

As I don't know the difference between BIOS Recovery by power button and Jumper Security, I did a second BIOS Recovery by the Security Jumper. And the same issue, CPU clock at 399 MHz, following the instructions from here:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/BIOS-Recovery-NUC.pdf

I set the BIOS to its default settings (F9), confirmed (y), Save and Exist (F10) and confirm (Y) after both BIOS Recoveries finished.

I confirmed the checksum of the BE0078.bio file matched the one from the intel download page.

I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool. In parallel I was monitoring with CPU-ID HW Monitor during the IPDT tests and the CPU clock stayed constant at 399 MHz.

All tests passed including the CPU Frequency Check, which is really strange.

(Adding the CPU-Z cpu tab screen shot in case something from here doesn't make sense, besides the clock frequency)

cpu-z_cpu.jpg

ProcessorDiagnostics.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The clock multiplier is way, way wrong (set to 4 when it should be set to 36). This is why it is stuck at 399MHz.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Scott,

It is clear that the CPU is working in low speed and the multiplier is low, however there is no way how to control it in NUC8i3BE (the Bios was recovered and set to default settings, both cores working)? This NUC has hardware failure.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I see two possibilities, (1) BIOS has bug and F9 is not resetting multiplier, or (2) there is a failure in the hardware. Checking #1 is simple; do F9 reset and then reenter BIOS setup and check the processor configuration. I rather doubt #1 is the case, however.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks @LWAKSMAN​  and @n.scott.pearson​  for helping me troubleshoot the issue.

I opened a Support Request and the Intel NUC is going to be replaced.

0 Kudos