Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12538 Discussions

Intel NUC M15 LAPBC710 - fn +num lk key issue

Max101
Novice

I am able to press Fn + all hot keys except for "fn + num lk" key. Does anyone know how to make it work?

fn + f5 = mute volume and the light on the f5 key lighted up

fn + f7 = disable touch pad and the light on the key also lighted up

fn + scr lk = nothing happened and the light on the key doesn't light up.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ziang
Employee

Hi Max.

Just ran into this topic, actually the num lk key has to be enabled in BIOS, you can press F2 when booting to enter BIOS menu,

then go to 'Advanced'->'onboard device' and you will see the num lk knob there disabled, simply turn it on and you are good to go

BTW though I'm not customer service guy but I work in Intel, so the Kudos button bellow will be really helpful for me Thanks!

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello Max101,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand you are having issues with your Intel® NUC M15 Laptop Kit - LAPBC710.

In this case, bear in mind that this key (Scroll Lock) is an option designed for old keyboards that allow scrolling the entire window because at that time there was no scroll button on the mouse. Nowadays, there are not many apps that use this option and some laptop do not have any lights or a specific key for it (some laptops have a command to enable it).

Based on the LAPBC710 datasheet, seem that the "num lock" and "scroll lock" are at the same key, can you confirm that?

Also, can you test any of the apps that allow this feature (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Lotus Notes, or any that you know) and confirm if the key works?

Intel® NUC M15 Laptop Kit - LAPBC710 datasheet: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/intel-nuc/laptop-kit/BC57_KIT_PROD_SPEC.pd...

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

Max101
Novice

Hi Deivid,

I can confirm that the Scroll Lock key works perfectly fine in Microsoft Excel.

Yep the "num lock" and "scroll lock" are at the same key. However, the "Function" key + "Scroll Lock" key combination to active the "Num Lock" isn't working for some reason.

I even went to the computer shop with the display LAPBC710 laptop there and tried "Funtion + Scroll Lock" key to see if the Num Lock will activate... and it didn't work on that laptop either.

DeividA_Intel

Hello Max101, 

Thanks for your response. Before we continue further I would like to confirm the following:

1. How the shop test the "Num Lock" since the laptop does not have the number section that is linked to that key?

2. As mentioned before, the laptop does not have the number section to the right (the numbers between the letters and the "F" keys are not affected by the "Num Lock"). Can you try an external keyboard to confirm if the key works or not (see image)?

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Max101
Novice

Hey Deivid,

Attached external keyboard work fine with the numlock.

I am actually talking about the stuff I circled in red in the attached image here. It's from the laptop' manual. The keyboard shortcut doesn't work and there is no way to enable the Embedded Keypad.

Thank you

Screen shot of the manual.jpg

DeividA_Intel

Hello Max101, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Max101
Novice

Hi Deivid,

Thanks! Please let me know when you found out something.

DeividA_Intel

Hello Max101, 

We have tried to replicate this issue in our LAB and we were able to make the key work (fn + SCR lk ), the "NUMLK" lights up and the numeric keyboard gets activated.

To confirm if we have the same environment, please check the following:

1. What operating system were you using? We used Windows 11.

2. Have you updated the BIOS? We have the latest version 0072.

3. Is the BIOS set to defaults? We have the BIOS set to defaults.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Max101
Novice

Hi Deivid,

1. I can confirm that I am using Windows 11

2. I have BIOS version 0072 installed

3. BIOS set to defaults

It still doesn't work.

DeividA_Intel

Hello Max101, 

I am sorry to know that the issue persists. I will continue with the investigation, I will keep you informed about any updates.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel

Hello Max101, 

Thanks for all the information provided so far and for your patience. We would like to let you know that we have tried several times to replicate this behavior but we did not face the same issue.

At this point, the last recommendation would be to check with the place of purchase for RMA (replacement) details.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

ziang
Employee

Hi Max.

Just ran into this topic, actually the num lk key has to be enabled in BIOS, you can press F2 when booting to enter BIOS menu,

then go to 'Advanced'->'onboard device' and you will see the num lk knob there disabled, simply turn it on and you are good to go

BTW though I'm not customer service guy but I work in Intel, so the Kudos button bellow will be really helpful for me Thanks!

Have a nice day!

Max101
Novice

Hi Ziang,

Thank you!! I followed your reply and it works now **thumb up!!**