Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12506 Discussions

Intel NUC M15 LAPRC710 fan noise

Ornan
Beginner

I recently bought Intel NUC m15 laptop from Costco and right out of the box I hear fan noise. Wasn't expecting this from a brand new machine. Is there a way I can fix it as I hear fans when it's plugged for charging and on battery. Secondly, the boot up time isn't the great and fast. Is there anything to make it faster. 

Thanks,

Ornan

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

Ornan, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, please attach the SSU report from your laptop so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

Any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Ornan
Beginner

This is the report generated from the tool. 

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Ornan, Thank you very much for providing the SSU report.

Accroding to the SSU document, all the parts seemed to be properly detected. So, based on the fact that you just recently bought this machine, we would recommend to get in contact directly with the place of purchase to claim the warranty or refund on this product. Normally they have a 30-day warranty period. 

Once you get the chance please let us know if they were able to further assist you, otherwise, we will be more than glad to provide additional assistance with our replacement process.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Ornan, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Ornan
Beginner

After performing some windows updates the performance got better and fan noise got less.  So far haven't heard loud fan noise. 

Alberto_R_Intel

Ornan, Thank you very much for your response and letting us know those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to know that the problem with the loud fan noise got fixed after performing some windows updates and now the laptop is working properly.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

S-AHMAD
Beginner

I have same problem. I bought Intel NUC M15 laptop from Costco.ca and fans are runny crazy. I do not play games or watch youtube. The fans run loud after every few minutes. The laptop looks so nice but Intel did not manage the heat properly and it looks like laptop is overheating a lot. I did factory twice and ran updates to see if that fixes the problem but still fans run loud. Now someone suggested to update BIOS. not sure if BIOS update will fix this.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

OMG! Thermal Management (i.e., Fan Speed Control) is *always* managed by the BIOS, regardless of whether passive or active. If you are having a problem with thermals or fan noise, update your BIOS!

...S

S-AHMAD
Beginner

I am looking for an Intel tool that can take care of BIOS update. I do not wan to brick the laptop by selecting BIOS my self.

n_scott_pearson

Intel Driver and Support Assistant can do this, but I don't recommend it if you are still running on the original BIOS.

...S

S-AHMAD
Beginner

Hi Scott:

Thanks for your guidance. last night, I printed the BIOS updating instructions and updated the BIOS via windows method.

I will use laptop today to see if it's still doing the same.

I will return it if it is still causing problems. I enough time to return it.

I see reviews about Intel Driver and Support Assistant and people said it messes up the computers too.

I thought Intel is a Technology Giant and the NUC laptop would be super awesome.

n_scott_pearson

It's not an IDSA issue, per se; it is an issue with BIOS update. I do not believe that the Windows-based method should be used when doing the initial BIOS upgrade - especially when there is a significant difference between the initial and current versions of the BIOS. I also do not believe in using the Windows-based method if the goal is to ensure that the Management Engine (ME) and/or Embedded Controlled (EC, which actually controls the blowers (they're NOT fans!)) firmware is to be updated. Can you get away with using the Windows-based method? Yes, certainly, but IMHO, the chances of bricking the system are actually higher doing it this way.

Back to IDSA... 

• IDSA is really most effective for the Intel NUC products. Most of the issues that exist are people using it on non-Intel products - and especially laptops, where my guidance is to not use it anyway. See Things to Know Before I Start to Use Intel Driver & Support Assistant for more information.
  • IDSA is a maintenance tool, designed to inform and support the installation of driver and BIOS upgrades. When installing Windows, all driver and BIOS updates should be manually downloaded and installed as part of the process. IDSA is NOT the tool to do this for you (nor, really, is the Windows installer; Windows Update is chock full of bugs and bad versions of the drivers (yea, that's partially an Intel problem too)).
  • IDSA also does not support all motherboard hardware (see Intel Driver & Support Assistant Exclusions), so there are driver packages that *must* be downloaded and installed manually - and, more importantly, these other packages (especially the Chipset Device Software and Management Engine driver packages) are a prerequisite for some of the driver packages that IDSA does support.

Off my soapbox now,

...S