Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel NUC Motherboard Ambient Temperature Location?

Am facing issue of NUC temperature over threshold causing the system to unexpectedly shutdown.

Upon observing the temperature range in BIOS, it was notice that the motherboard ambient temperature rose drastically while CPU and Memory temperature is within acceptable range.

CPU Core Temp = 43°c

Memory Temp = 39°c

Motherboard Ambient = 102°c

PCH Temp = 41°c 

I've change the thermal paste but no improvement seen and was wandering where is the Motherboard Ambient temperature sensor located that i might have missed out covering it? BIOS screen shot attached.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Typically, the sensor is placed on the board somewhere under the M.2 board. I don't see any way that the temperature in the area around this sensor could get this hot. You must have a failing component on the board.

Is this a new system? If you can return it to the place of purchase and have them replace it, then do so. Other wise, you should contact Intel Customer Support directly (via phone, email, chat or forms service) and arrange a replacement via RMA.

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Bummer, the system is out of warranty; down to the recycle bin it goes.

Thanks for the advice Scott (^_~)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Don't be silly.

First of all, this is a BN NUC - which hasn't even been on sale for three years, sop it warranty can't be expire yet. The only way this could be the case was if you purchased it used or received it via some shady activity.

Secondly, you can just ignore this sensor. Just configure the fan speed control to use the memory temperature sensor, instead of the Motherboard temperature sensor, as its Secondary temperature input.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Oh, just realized; you voided the warranty removing the heatsink...😨

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

This brings up a good question. My NUC was replaced because Intel doesnt have a repair facility/solution. But are board components replaceable, with installation by an expert? For that matter, can complete boards be purchased from Intel? I notice the board slips right out of the case and a board would be cheaper than buying a complete NUC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Intel always replaces. Whether they perform any repair afterwards is an unknown. Intel does not release information (schematics, etc.) regarding their designs, so having an expert repair the board is not an option.

Only certain boards are sold standalone. Here is link for page where the available boards are listed: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/boards.html

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos