cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel NUC Skull freeze and unusable !

Hi,

My NUC Skull is unusable. After a few minutes it goes into freeze and what is connected USB does not work and the screen is mnero to flashing dots !!! updated drivers, bios, software, saving energy is not used but after a few minutes hangs and there is no way to awaken if not with a forced shutdown!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Intel NUC Skull freeze and unusable !

Hello pampero,

I apologize for any inconvenience.

I would like to gather more information regarding your Intel® NUC Kit, this will help to address this matter in the most accurate way. So, please respond to the following;

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you,

I attach the file generated by SSU
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

/thread/112695 pampero, thanks for the file.

I checked your report, and noticed that your RAM speed is at 2400 MHz. So, just for testing purposes; could you please test a different memory type? I would recommend DDR4-2133+ 1.2V, 1.35V SO-DIMM which is the supported memory type for this Intel® NUC.

I would also like to confirm the following information;

• Did the unit work before?
  • Have you recently made hardware or software changes?
  • Could you please add some pictures of the dots you see on the screen?

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

the nuc was immediately assembled with this configuration and always gave these problems. I thought they were teething problems that would be solved with some firmware or software, but now the problem seems to worsen with the video problem.

I have no other memories with which to do testing, sorry.

I just tried it with other monitors but nothing changes !! Unfortunately now I think the nuc is dead and I had to buy another PC to make up for the failure of this nuc.

So to answer your questions,

The NUC has never worked properly but has always had this "sleep or freeze" problem;

the hardware has always been this;

As soon as I can I ask you a picture of the video blocked but there is little to be seen but a black screen with dots ...

I really hope you can solve my problem, I'm in serious trouble with the work.

Thank you
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

/thread/112695 pampero, my apologies for any inconvenience.

I just want to know; is there any chance you can take the Intel® NUC to a computer shop and test different memory? At this stage that would be my suggestion before considering replacing the unit, well of course if that is an option for you.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

No, I'm sorry!

I bought the NUC online and I have no opportunity to request more memory to borrow.

I need a other units NUC functional to work.

I see no other opportunities.

The NUC, despite all my attention does not work.

Please tell me what I need to do for this, I am really mortified.

Thank you
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Are you able to access your BIOS screen? Does your computer freeze while you are in the BIOS?

If you are able to access the BIOS try updating your BIOS version to the latest, version 045 is the latest; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26671/NUCs-BIOS-Update-KYSKLi70-86A-?product=89187 Download BIOS Update [KYSKLi70.86A]. I recommend the BIOS recovery method, find it here; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Ok, check this evening.

Meanwhile attaching the video of the monitor in sleep ...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Let me know how it goes.

For some reason I was not able to play the video, I tried on different computers and different video players.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

Resend the video.

I have properly updated the bios.

The procedure is successful but the NUC has the same problems. It is unusable !!!

I hope it will help to replace the NUC in the shortest possible time.

I'm waiting for instructions.

Thank you
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I had this problem with the ram I purchase. I ended up exchanging it for patriot ram and the problem went away.

amazon has same day and next day delivery in a lot of metropolitan areas.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Anonymous,

I tested the ram several times and with more applications. The Ram is perfect!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks for the video, I was able to see the it.

I would like to confirm some information that I am missing from the previous; does your Intel® NUC freeze while you are in the BIOS?

AA_Anonymous, thank you for the suggestion.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I tried in the BIOS.

After a few minutes the mouse stopped working while the keyboard still worked: The video was ok.

The problem seems to originate from the USB ports and then in the graphics card because when the system freeze USB ports do not work and the video stops with blinking dots.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

/thread/112695 pampero, please let me review your thread, as soon as possible I will update this conversation.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

OK, I am waiting, so ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi /thread/112695 pampero,

I am really sorry to hear that you are having issues with one of our products (I work for Intel Customer Support).

I read the whole conversation and I would think that you have a memory issue but you clearly stated that you have no other memory to test and that you have tested this memory and it is okay. I am not thinking that the memory is defected, I am leaning to believe it could be just not fully compatible. I didn't find the brand and model, did I miss that? Have you checked on the compatibility list: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020648.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020648.html

Finally, I would recommend that you contact our support line via chat or phone for a quicker resolution, make reference to ticket # 02722153.

Here is the contact information: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html please make sure you select your region and I am pretty sure that via Chat or Phone we are going to be able to provide you with a quicker resolution.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi rguevara,

This is my ram:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B019FRCV9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Crucial Kit Memoria da 32 GB (2x16 GB), DDR4, 2400 MT/s, (PC4-19200) SODIMM, 260-Pin - CT2K16G4SFD824A: Amazon.it: Infor…

Crucial Kit Memoria da 32 GB (2x16 GB), DDR4, 2400 MT/s, (PC4-19200) SODIMM, 260-Pin - CT2K16G4SFD824A

I have tested the RAM in multiple ways and ram it works.

The NUC is defective and should be replaced.

I curse the day I made the purchase.

I have the computer unusable !!! It had never happened to me like that!

I need a functioning NUC !!!

Thank you

Gianpiero
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee

This happens over and over and over. People don't listen, they purchase unsupported memory and then they blame the NUC when it doesn't work properly. The situation is quite simple. The KY NUC is not designed to work with and is not validated to support 2400MHz memory. If you want this unit to function properly, get the 2133MHz memory that was intended to be used with it.

Ronny - this is partly Intel's fault as well. There should not be any 2400MHz memory on the validated memory list. It may work initially but will fail like this over time as components wear. If you aren't going to properly design for and fully validate 2400MHz memory, don't include it on the list; its that simple!

I am getting off my soapbox now.

...S

0 Kudos