Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GRose4
Beginner

Intel NUC VR Starts With Black Screen Unless Powered Off With On/Off Button

As stated, my NUC VR will start with a black screen unless powered off before by holding the power button until the computer is off. This seems to have started around the time of a Windows update but I have noticed the behavior before but not consistently. I have eliminated my bluetooth drivers for my Mac keyboard and trackpad as a cause with usb substitution. When I disabled the Radeon graphics driver, the latest, the problem went away. Does this mean I should blame the graphics driver?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello GRose4,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

In order to find out and help you in the best way I will need some more information of your system, please follow the steps below to generate a DxDiag: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 

4. Attach the report to this thread. 

This will give me more information of the currently installed drivers and more system information that could be related.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

GRose4
Beginner

I am using email and hope this reaches you directly and also hope the attachment makes it as I’m not sure if the forum will accept them. There were some “Fault Buckets” at the end of the text file that seem to be related to my black screen problem.
GRose4
Beginner

Because I don't see the attachment I will try and post it in this reply:

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello GRose4,

Thank you for your response.

I want to confirm something, the issue you are facing is related to just the Intel ® NUC it self and not the VR headset correct? In other words, you mean to say that the system starts with a black screen and only comes back after pressing down the power button to turn it off and back ON, correct? 

I want to make sure so I can assist you further with this.

Regards,

David V

GRose4
Beginner

You are correct about the need to force the NUC to "off" using the on/off button. I hold the button until after it it turns blue. I could release it at that point and sleep would be activated or just wait a short moment for off. In short, if I forget to use the power button to shut down I would have to get rid of the black screen with another shutdown using the power button There is no problem with another power up whether immediately or the next day as long as Windows is shut down with the power button.

In the case of sleep, my bluetooth drivers for the Mac Trackpad and keyboard no longer function so I must grab a Logitech trackball to resume from sleep. It also takes a long time for the screen to come back on making sleep useless. I blame this on the bluetooth drivers needing to load as they take a long time to reload and function properly. I was told to make the driver accessory folder an exception for Window anti virus and that helped speed up things a little It has something to do with how the drivers are "signed". Taking a long time is one thing with sleep but they never respond if a shutdown is done through Windows. I suspect the drivers for the keyboard and trackpad could be an issue but hooking up a usb keyboard and having the Logitech trackball should have worked with the possible exception that I did not disable the bluetooth drivers for the Mac keyboard/trackpad.

At this time I am not planning on adding a VR headset. My main purpose for the Intel VR is for viewing high end video and listening through an AVR with high end audio. The video and sound over HDMI with the AMD "card" is what I thought would be the best way to go for my needs now and in the future. HDR and Dolby Atmos can be problems for many computer setups. Fortunately I have been able to get things working well with some effort beyond just plug and play. I also plan on sharing photos with an audience at home as well as some other activities. I am not much of a gamer but do have an Xbox One S for a few games and of course video as well. Unfortunately the Xbox can't handle video files that are over 10 GB and can only use a "synthetic" Dolby Atmos whereas the Intel NUC can do both. I believe some TV's may be able to handle the files but could not send Dolby Atmos sound as two way HDMI doesn't work for Hi Res audio.

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello GRose4,

Let's start by re-installing the latest validated drivers for your Intel ® NUC, please refer to the links below and download both the Intel ® HD drivers and the Radeon drivers: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28599/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-N...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28600/Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-b...

Once downloaded, please follow the steps below: 

1 - Disconnect the unit from the internet. 

2 - Go to "device manager" 

3 - Look for "display adapters" and uninstall both the Intel HD Graphics and Radeon until you only have Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

4 - Install the previously-downloaded drivers, starting with the Intel ® HD Graphics.

5 - When done with the installation, restart your system. 

6 - Re-connect the internet and try to see if the issue persists. 

Let me know the outcome please. 

Regards,

David V

GRose4
Beginner

Before I delete the drivers and reinstall them with the drivers you suggested, I have a question about the Intel graphics driver I am currently using. I use the Intel driver and support assistant app to maintain my drivers and follow the update recommendations for drivers and BIOS updates. I just ran it and according to the app everything is up to date. Below I have cut and pasted the entries from the app for my graphics drivers:

Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for NUC8i7HNK, NUC8i7HVK Latest version: x.x.x.6519 Installed Version: x.x.x.6861

Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for NUC8i7HNK, NUC8i7HVK Latest version: 25.20.15002.58 Installed Version: 25.20.15002.58

What puzzles me is why the Intel driver is described as "installed" has a higher number than the one described as "latest". I have no idea whether Windows snuck in the driver or the Intel app did this. It is confusing to say the least. Before I change to the lower numbered driver, the "latest" , do you have any answer for this odd situation or how this could have happened.

One other question, I know my 4K TV works without any Windows drivers as I have no trouble seeing the BIOS setup on my TV but I am hoping the Windows screen will be as legible as it was during installation without the drivers as the device manager only lists the two drivers above. I have no other monitor to use other than the TV. I'm pretty sure this will not be a compatibility problem but it will be a mess if I can't get the TV to scale legibly.

Below is a link for my Intel graphics driver description.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2019/05/16/intel-graphics-driver-26201006861-for-windows-10-r...

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello GRose4,

This could be due to the update being done with the generic graphics drivers instead of the latest one validated for the Intel ® NUC. It is important to try with the validated one which is the one I provided.

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,

David V

GRose4
Beginner

Thanks for the explanation about the "generic" vs "validated" driver issue. I will replace both drivers as you described before my last question. Since it's Friday evening I will need to do it on the weekend. I need things to run "as is" for tonight.

GRose4
Beginner

I deleted both graphics drivers including the check box for deleting files. I then added the "validated" Intel graphics driver after a reboot from the link you sent. It not only added the correct Intel driver but also and older Radeon driver when I restarted. I then re updated the Radeon driver to the "validated" driver from the link you sent. The "generic" Intel driver that was the one I had been using was from a Windows update that I found in my Windows update history. I have had problems with driver updates that were not for my Intel NUC in the past and had to call Windows support to get them "deactivated". They insisted that they would have to do it themselves with a remote logmein app. If this happens again I will have to attempt to handle this myself or insist that they give me a procedure for doing this on my own. Hopefully, this will not occur again.

The result after doing this is the same. I must shut off my NUC by using the power button in order to see my screen after another power on. I should also note that the screen is blank and doesn't even show the Intel opening screen with the spinning wheel prior to the start of Windows. Restarts have no problems with a black screen. I don't know if that is a clue to anything specific but thought I would throw that in. I should also add that disabling the Intel graphics driver does not cure the problem either so that is no longer a "clue". I received a BIOS upgrade from Intel today that I added and everything works the same, no surprise there.

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello GRose4,

This could point at an issue with the operating system itself, if possible, try re-installing the operating system while using a clean installation; however, only do so if you can backup your data and if you are able to do it.

Let me know if you can or the outcome if you do it.

Regards,

David V

GRose4
Beginner

Since I know disabling the Radeon graphics driver "cures" the problem of not being able to shut down with Windows and I can't rollback to an earlier driver I'm going to see if one of my two Paragon disk images has the older Radeon driver and if the problem goes away. I made one of the the images before the most recent Windows update and it may contain an earlier driver. Even if the driver is the same it may give me insight in to what to look for if Windows shuts down properly from the image backup. Should have thought of this option before!

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello GRose4,

I was checking and I can see here that you opened and internal case, I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with the feedback of what you are attempting, please reply to the case you have created when you are done with the testings.

Again, thank you for providing the feedback.

Regards,

David V

GRose4
Beginner

I was going to restore a disk image from my free paragon backup image software but found that I would have to plug in a usb keyboard to proceed and kneel down in front of my 70 in TV. I'm old and tired of doing those kind of gymnastics because bluetooth on Widows is "dumber" than the Mac version. I ordered an inexpensive Logitech keyboard to go along with my Logitech trackball. I have work arounds for bypassing a usb keyboard with my Logitech trackpad by entering the BIOS by way of Windows 10 using the shift key with restart from inside Windows but my disk images are password protected and thus need a keyboard for the restore. This also gave me another option to boot from my usb stick to run the Paragon restore software in addition to the choice of entering the BIOS.

My subconscious perpetual problem solver startled me into checking if holding the shift key while clicking on shutdown from the Windows menu would do anything. To my wonderful surprise it worked as my screen was no longer black and the NUC startup screen was visible once again prior to Windows starting in visible mode. I had to know why and found out that indeed adding the shift key causes Window to do a "complete" shutdown as opposed to a "hybrid" one, whatever that means.

It is a practical workaround for my black screen problem. I still plan on trying to restore a Paragon disk image to see if an older version works correctly but that will be for a later day when I have more free time. I have already burned through a lot of free time on this black screen problem and am happy to take a break.

Should I use a separate email to inform Intel customer service about this or is this forum reply sufficient?