Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11300 Discussions

Intel NUC no HDMI output

reiser
Novice

I have a NUC6i5SYH which suddenly doesn't output anything on video/hdmi

Tried steps:

1. Power cycle

2. Power cycle, took out the supply, pressed power button for 30 seconds.

3. Changed the output device/cable - completely different device with different cable which both are working fine with another device.

Observations: Power led lit; when pressing at first CAPS LOCK on USB keyboard the CAPS LOCK led lits, after a couple of seconds only the Scroll Lock and Num Lock keys lit up/down when pressed, CAPS LOCK doesn't respond.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. How does it happened? Did you performed some BIOS or Windows update?

2. In addition to the Power LED, is the HDD activity LED (near the Power Button) blinking, showing that computer is booting into Windows?

Leon

reiser
Novice

Thank you for your response.

1. Reboot. I had proxmox instalation on it and after reboot ...

2. It's SSD based so there's no HDD Led Activity on the device.

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. No, I'm right. There is an HDD activation LED on your NUC. See Item "F" page 17 in Technical Product Specification. This LED is blinking when SSD is accessed. I know NUC6i5SYH very well. In order to have this LED working, you need to enable in BIOS Advanced > SATA HDD Activity LED and M.2 PCIe Activity LED. See the attached image.

2. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber. From this menu you can enter BIOS.

3. You may try to power ON your NUC, without SO DIMMs. In this case, if your NUC is not bricked, the front panel LED should blink three times for 1 sec (on - off) and pause for 2.5 sec. This shows the memory error.

Leon

reiser
Novice

2. Tried number 2 for 10 times, 2 times I got the amber and released the power, some other  didn't get amber but released before the 4 sec shutdown - led remained blue

3. Tried 3 and I have the 3-blink.

Thank you.

reiser
Novice

Did you have had any cases in which the internal hardware HDMi connector was damaged? Or internal video card damaged? I don't have any means to think that this happened still ...

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @reiser 

1. There is no video card in your NUC. The graphics and video is generated in CPU. Since you saw the LED is blinking when you remove the RAM, means that your CPU is working. We have still two possibilities to try. First to recover BIOS and second to disconnect the CMOS battery. Disconnect the CMOS battery, requires removing the board from its case, so, we will start with the BIOS Recovery with the Yellow Security Jumper Removed:

2. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios  File SY0073.bio . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows.

3. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.

4. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 55 in Technical Product Specification)

5. Insert the USB with the SY0073.bio file into rear USB slot.

6. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 3 -6 minutes.

7. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.

8. Power your NUC ON.

9. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.

10. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

11. If the recovery process will not help, I'll give you instruction how to disconnect the CMOS battery.

Leon

reiser
Novice

Hi @LeonWaksman

Thank you for your help.

I tried the procedure twice and had no success. I;m guessing that when the recovery process is starting I should get some video output right?

Moreover since I moved the NUC to my desk I noticed that the fan revs to what seems to maximum all the time.

I'm guessing that this means the NUC it's bricked and I can throw it to garbage?

Thank you.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @reiser 

I don't give up yet. You should see video output on the screen during BIOS recovery, describing the recovery stage. However, since the video is corrupted, you may no see a video. If the recovery was started and all the time during recovery, the front LED should blink.

I suggest now that you remove the board from the case and disconnect the CMOS buttery connector. Reconnect the battery after 15 minutes. You should start with removing the SO DIMMs and the SSD. Then carefully disconnect the antennas cables from the WiFi module. Only then you can remove the two screws holding the board and remove the board. While the board is removed, in addition to disconnecting the CMOS battery, you may use compressed Air Duster to clean the cooling blower. See this instruction and this video clip. which may help you in this task.

Leon

reiser
Novice

Hi @LeonWaksman 

I did the steps and it's the same :((((((((((

Details:

As I was always using the bottom USB from the back I gived it a try on the top one.

On boot NUC blinked twice and the USB stick was inised(blinked) then it was blinking like it was transferring data for two time, the blink-blink.......... etc

Also the NUC started blinking slowly for some 30-60 seconds. Like ON for 15 seconds, on for another 15(do not take values as exact timing).

Yet I still get no video output.

I guess I'm out of options for now, ain't I?

Thank you for your support.

Maria_R_Intel

Hello reiser,

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped. You may also find the Discontinued Products (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) website helpful to address your request.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

reiser
Novice

Hi @Maria

I was just asking for help from the most knowledgeable community.

Which @LeonWaksman did very kindly and I thank him for that. He's for sure a great contributor of yours.

@Maria as an observation: some thinks may well be left untold. Your observation was completely out of the discussion or scope.

Thank you!

Maria_R_Intel

Hello @reiser , 

We are moderators in the community, and we review all the threads. For us is very important to let the customers know that Intel Moderators will not jump in when the product is discontinued, so customers will not be waiting for our support. 

It is just an FYI, I know Leon is doing a great job helping you, as usual. We will not close your thread so it is open to all the community members, so they can help you with very useful information.  

Thank you for your understanding, we hope you can solve your issue. 

Best regards,
Maria R.
Intel Customer Support Technician

reiser
Novice

@maria thank you for your kind assistance.

Your addition to this can be only categorized as: shigata ga nai.

Which is unneeded.

Thank you.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @reiser 

Please keep cool.  Maria just informed you that you can't get any support from Intel. Just now I had no other idea, except to disconnecting the CMOS battery for 15 minutes (see my post above).

Leon

reiser
Novice

@LeonWaksman Thank you for all your help and patience with me

About coolness: I really dislike when something can be left unsaid because it doesn't help anyway but it gets said.

Thanks again, I wasn't anyway hoping to get this un-bricked. The topic can be closed from my pov.

Happy holidays!

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @reiser 

Happy Holiday to you too !

Leon