Intel® NUCs
Assistance in Intel® NUC products
13296 Discussions

Intel NUC power led blinking

sony557esd
Beginner

Hi,

I have been using Intel NUC for 4 years without issues until yesterday. When I tried to start the device, the power led started keep flashing 16 (?) times and it does not respond.

When I googled the issue, I found the corresponding reason : Thermal trip warning. As a matter of fact I did not do anything unusual. What do you think I should do to make it work back again ?

I do use it for listening music (Roon OS is installed only).

My configuration

Intel NUC (NUC7i5BNK (Intel Core i5, Slim Version)
Crucial 8GB Single DDR4
TCSUNBOW M.2 2242 120GB SSD

Excerpt :

Thermal trip warning

Blink primary color .25 seconds on, .25 seconds off, .25
seconds on, .25 seconds off. This will result in a total of
16 blinks (blink for 8 seconds)

Thank you for taking your time

Cheers,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello sony557esd,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.  

Discontinued Products: 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @sony557esd 

1. Could be that the cooling blower is clothed with dust. When you depress the power button, can you hear that the blower is spinning?

2. In case that you suspect that the cooling solution need to be cleaned , please see this tutorial how to do this.  The last steps (replacing the thermal paste) is not necessary to do.  This tutorial is for NUC BE, but is should be very similar to your NUC. 

3. An additional thing that I advice to do (take the opportunity that the board is removed), is to disconnect the CMOS battery connector and reconnect it after 15 minutes. This will reset the BIOS. You should check if the CMOS battery is not discharged and in case that its voltage is bellow 3VDC, replace the battery.

Leon

0 Kudos