Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12510 Discussions

Intel NUC11BTMi7 and NUC11BTMi9 upgrade to RAID 1

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi, both of the above have Intel RAID, so if we install a single drive and install Windows, is it / how to upgrade that single drive to RAID 1 after adding a second identical M.2 drive without loosing any of the original data?

This would be known in the server industry as "online upgrade", ive not looked at the driver fully but it doesn't seem very comprehensive, not found an "upgrade" or "migration" button with a single drive installed.  If it used the Intel RAID Web Console v3 (RWC3) that did support this, but then that only works with a real hardware RAID card (which the above does not have).

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. RST version.
  2. Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application version. 

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi, i dont have the hardware yet, i can get the RST and Storage Management versions later this week (around 3-4 Feb i think)

JosueO_Intel

Hello GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for the information provided, we will wait for you to get the hardware, in the meantime, we will check the inquiries internally and post back soon. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

JosueO_Intel

Hello GRIFFCOMM,

In this case, the process you want to perform is possible if the NUC was installed as "RAID ready", in other words, one drive and SATA mode as "RAID". You just install an identical drive and boot to the OS, Open the RST app, and change or modify the drives. 

Instructions:

Follow the procedure illustrated below:

1.  Start the Intel Rapid Storage Technology UI application:

Start Menu ->intel optane memory and storage management

2.  Under CreateVolume. Click the array or volume to which you want to modify.

3.  After the migration starts, you can view the migration progress under status.

4.  When the Status field indicates volume as ‘Normal’, the migration is complete.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030046/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-m...

Regards, 

Josue O.  

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

As requested, the version appears to be v18.1.1021.0, driver version 18.3.0.1003

I do see the "create RAID, i cant test this right now as i only have one drive, but assume it will not clear the data on the main volume selected only "migrate" it to RAID1 after going through the steps?

JosueO_Intel

Hello GRIFFCOMM,

That is correct, the data will not be deleted and the volumes will just be added to the array. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Thanks, this can now be closed, i will test this once i have 2 identical M.2 drives.

JosueO_Intel

Hello GRIFFCOMM,

You are very welcome, I am glad to hear that the information provided was useful. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.