Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12529 Discussions

Intel NUC11PHKi7C i225 LAN disappears when it is disabled

SkullTrail
New Contributor I

If you disable the i225 LAN adapter either through the Control Panel or Device Management Console, it disappears. It is no longer populated on the list. The only solution is a complete shutdown WITH the power cord removed and restart. Rebooting does not work, neither does a shutdown and restart.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello SkullTrail,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Was it working before?
  2. When did the issue start happening?
  3. Have you reported this issue to Microsoft*?

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

SkullTrail
New Contributor I

Thanks for the response. Through serendipity came across an Intel solution to the problem. Too bad it is extremely hidden and difficult to find, but here it is. Did not report to Microsoft as requested as it does not appear to be a Microsoft problem as Intel has issued a fix. One of the conditions of the fix is that it needs BIOS revision 0066 which has not been released yet. 

"Summary

Intel and Microsoft have developed a BIOS and OS patch to fix Ethernet Controller i225 issues on Intel NUCs in Windows 11/10 Modern Standby

Description
  • Wake on LAN functionality doesn't work in Modern Standby on Windows 11 or Windows 10 on Intel NUCs with Intel® Ethernet Controller i225 Series
  • Intel® Ethernet Controller i225 Series disappear from Device Manager after the controller gets disabled and then enabled
Resolution

Step 1. Update affected Intel NUC with Intel® Ethernet Controller i225 Series to the BIOS version containing the fix from the table below

NUC model

BIOS version

NUC11TN[x]

0060 or later

NUC11PH[x]

0066 or later1

NUC11PA[x]

0042 or later1

LAPKC[x]1E

0040 or later1

1- the exact BIOS version may not be posted yet or the version number may be changed. Please check the BIOS release notes to find a list of fixed issues available on the Download center 

Step 2. Apply the Windows Registry patch

1. Download the Patch for LAN issue on Intel® NUC Gen 11 (step 2) .zip folder with Windows Registry file
  2. Unzip AUTO_GEN_PEP_DISABLE.zip the archive to your system
  3. Double-click on the file AUTO_GEN_PEP_DISABLE.reg to run the patch

These two steps should fix your issue with the LAN functionality on your Gen 11 intel NUC product. If after performing both steps the issue still persists, contact support."

Link to fix:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088377/intel-nuc.html

JosueO_Intel

Hello SkullTrail,

Thank you for sharing this information with the community. In this case, the fix hasn't been released yet, our recommendation is to keep checking our download center for the latest BIOS releases for your product. 

Hope this information is useful, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician