Just a heads up with those using 4K monitors with the Intel NUC6i7KYK with an HDMI cable.
When the Intel NUC 6i7KYK was connected to a 4K monitor using the HDMI cable, two things happened.
- Sleep mode no longer worked. The computer would lock and required a hard reset after going into sleep mode.
- Powercfg set to display off (not sleep) would resize all active windows and lock the keyboard
- When you forced the computer into sleep mode, the active windows would be resized to tiny windows and randomly placed on the screen.
- Keyboard would stop working
- HDMI 2.0 specifies 4K60 otherwise you will get 4K30 for < HDMI 2.0 (i.e 1.4 etc.)
- The HDMI port on the NUC is run through a DP (display port) converter. The power commands do not translate well for some monitors.
Things that do not work:
- Registry edit resizing the dummy EDID monitor specifications
- Deleting the monitor configuration from the registry
- Deleting the graphics driver and reinstalling the graphics driver
- Changing the monitor driver
Fix (things that work):
- Run a native small DP to full sized DP cable to the monitor.
- If you are going to buy a 4K monitor for this NUC, make sure it has a DP port.
Hope this helps someone.
Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.
First of all, we would like to thank you for the great troubleshooting steps provided and taking the time to share this steps with us.
Hopefully, other community members will find this information helpful.
If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.
Intel Technical Support Technician