Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dpostolov
Novice

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Hi! Sorry for my bad English...

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Intel BOXNUC7PJYH2 Version #: J67992-404, Date of Manufacture: 22 May 2020.

With previous BIOS 0057 all OK with Linux, Unix-like OSes and Windows. After upgrading the BIOS by F7 to version 0058 and F9 - Load defaults and configure Bios (with Linux or Windows boot profile and disable Secure Boot), Windows 10 installer is loading successfully from USB stick, but Linux and Unix-like (FreeBSD and NetBSD) are not loaded.

Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce edition -> blank screen when loading and system stops
FreeBSD 12.2 Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/OvWKz7XfLH_EGA
NetBSD 9.1_STABLE Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/-uSPJoVtqTr0gA

1. Please remove Intel NUC7PJYH Bios 0058 from Download Center to avoid problems with Linux and Unix-like users.
2. Please fix this Bios bug for Linux users

Probably this is a problem with ACPI BIOS settings for Linux and Unix-like OSes.

144 Replies
LeCaNo
New Contributor I

Since Intel contributes a lot to Linux, I think that customers can expect that BIOS updates are also tested extensively for Linux.
LeCaNo
New Contributor I

@Victor_G_Intel

please let remove the BIOS version 0058 from the download page to prevent that more users, which uses Linux or Unix-like Distributions on theJune Canyon NUCs, upgrade to this version and have the problem. We need ASAP a fix for the issue.

AlexGusev
Novice

Hello!

Remove the BIOS version 0058 from the download page!!! Same problem with Fedora Server Edition 33. I got the brick!!!

BR.

Tags (1)
Ondrej
Novice

Hello,

it would be nice to just write some note on download page that this bios was reported to cause problems. Right now I have just useless brick which I need to replace...

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The people that need to make this kind of change are not available until Monday. There will be some ICS engineers available tomorrow (Sunday), but I am unsure any of them can make the modifications to the web pages. I have sent a note to the persons that I believe need to handle this, but they may not see this note before Monday.

I hate to say it, but, based upon past experience, the absolute minimum amount of time to see a fix for an issue such as this is on the order of one to two weeks. There is investigation time, fix development time, fix testing time, fix regression time, BIOS integration, BIOS validation and BIOS regression steps that all have to performed before a BIOS is released.

Have any of you tried installing Linux into a VM on top of Windows 10?

...S

pleasefixthis
New Contributor I

Thank you! In the meantime it would be acceptable to just have a downgrade to 0057 enabled, until they've fixed the other one. At this time I just need my machine to work properly and cannot wait two weeks without loss of productivity...
Users of "old" machines can be the customers of new ones tomorrow... or go to the competition if they don't feel treated well.

sgs77
Novice

I'm in the same situation, I was going crazy doing tests, with SSDs of different brands and Memoirs. You can't leave a computer without being able to work by a simple bios update, I don't understand how on the support website it said that the downgrade procedure is the same as for updating, and the board doesn't allow it. It's impossible to downgrade. And now we have an updated bios that is uselessly related to Linux.
Ondrej
Novice

Thanks for answer... For my use case to fiddle with windows and vm is a pain in the ass. Waiting two weeks for something which should happen at all is no go to. So I bought different small factor PC, hopefully the other manufacturer will not block me from downgrading bios if something goes wrong.

Michael_B2
Novice

Hi, same Problem in my case, NUC7JYB version J67969-400 Ubuntu 20.04 doesn't boot after bios update. Please INTEL, give us a chance to change back to the old BIOS version or fix the problem!

Vorasilp
Novice

Intel customer support rep in Thailand told me that using NUC with linux is not supported and she asked me to seek help from linux community instead.

However I have some progress. By adding boot option 'acpi=off' to grub boot menu allows me to boot into Linux Mint but there are problems with restart and shutdown using both menus and command line.
JMarty
Novice

Thanks for the info. Running an OS without ACPI is not option, but that is a start. Appreciate.

Ubuntu is officially supported by Intel. See here.

I have also contacted with the customer service and they are investigating the issue. I had to send them log file (SSU Utility). I guess there is nothing we can do but waiting for the fix.

LeCaNo
New Contributor I

acpi=off is absolutely no option, we really need a fix asap. My NUC7PJYH is a 300€ paperweight since a week. The BIOS Update is still available for download.

AlexGusev
Novice

Is Intel doing anything to solve our problem caused by them???

@Victor_G_Intel 

sgs77
Novice

Hi! I don't know if someone has been able, but there's no way to go down to 57. Neither using the jumper is bios secure, nor by pressing the ignition button for 3 seconds, and then F4. Neither method allows bios 57 to pass.
Ondrej
Novice

It looks like bios 0058 has some build in mechanism to prevent downgrading, I was not able to downgrade, I just gave up and right I have paper weight to show my customers what not to buy

LeCaNo
New Contributor I

BIOS 0058 is no longer offered for download.

A downgrade is not possible because of the microcode update included in 0058.

A tip from me: read the changelog before upgrading
pleasefixthis
New Contributor I

I gave my local Intel Hotline a call yesterday. The person on the other end didn't appear to be aware of the issue and just told me, that Linux would need to be "boot order three". Since I don't think that's related to the issue and I don't want to set up my PC without a good chance of it working again, I haven't tried it. If someone wants to, they can feel free to do so and post the results here.

All in all, I am somewhat disappointed we haven't got any official Intel statement concerning this issue so far. Makes me wonder if Intel really is a good choice for Linux users.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Just so everyone understands, Intel does not compromise on security. The impact of this statement is that, once an firmware upgrade that includes a security fix is installed, you will not be able to uninstall this firmware upgrade. Why? Well, if you could, it wouldn't be a very secure system. Rogue software would simply downgrade the firmware and then be able to take advantage of the vulnerability(s) that were addressed by this firmware. You simply cannot downgrade the firmware; there are no exceptions.

It is unfortunate that this issue slipped through the cracks. That it should have been caught goes without saying - but it wasn't. All that Intel can do now is investigate both why it slipped through the cracks and why it prevents Linux initialization and address both issues as quickly as possible. I can assure you that they are doing so. I would be surprised if they made an official statement, however. They don't have much of a track record for doing that. As for when the fix will be available, Intel policy does not allow them to say. When it's ready, they will make it available.

...S

tomb31
New Contributor I

Well, evidently if I have the choice between a slightly less secure firmware and a paper weight, I'd pick the former any day.

Not even being able to set a jumper to be able to downgrade is ridiculous.

Thank god I stumbled over this thread. I usually jump on bios upgrades as they are released. Never had issues with the many NUCs I've owned. But thank god I didn't this time around...

Guess what I'll be doing from this point on: I won't be upgrading the BIOS regularly anymore. I simply don't want to be stuck with a paper weight. I'm sure I won't be alone, the end result is less security because people are too afraid to brick their computers with evidently untested firmware that can't be rolled back at all.

tomb31
New Contributor I

The other choice Intel has right now would be to take version 57, and release it as version 59. This way, at least people could "upgrade" again and un-brick their computers. This should be an easy task that they should be able to do in less than a day.