Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dpostolov
Novice

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Hi! Sorry for my bad English...

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Intel BOXNUC7PJYH2 Version #: J67992-404, Date of Manufacture: 22 May 2020.

With previous BIOS 0057 all OK with Linux, Unix-like OSes and Windows. After upgrading the BIOS by F7 to version 0058 and F9 - Load defaults and configure Bios (with Linux or Windows boot profile and disable Secure Boot), Windows 10 installer is loading successfully from USB stick, but Linux and Unix-like (FreeBSD and NetBSD) are not loaded.

Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce edition -> blank screen when loading and system stops
FreeBSD 12.2 Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/OvWKz7XfLH_EGA
NetBSD 9.1_STABLE Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/-uSPJoVtqTr0gA

1. Please remove Intel NUC7PJYH Bios 0058 from Download Center to avoid problems with Linux and Unix-like users.
2. Please fix this Bios bug for Linux users

Probably this is a problem with ACPI BIOS settings for Linux and Unix-like OSes.

144 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Gee, this happens to be is EXACTLY the guidance that Intel always provides.

Having physical access is not acceptable in a chassis design that does not support a locking capability.
Just saying,
...S

n_scott_pearson

No, that won't work. But even if it did, you would be violating Intel security rules and they won't do that.
...S
mvignol
Novice

man, i wish they'd heeded your advice earlier and removed the 0058 from the downloads.  i grabbed it on the 16th or 17th.  luckily a google search brings up this post or i'd have been way more upset.

i was able to boot using acpi=off, but my machine felt craz slow.  i installed cpu-g and it's reporting only a single core.  not sure if that's from the acpi flag or something else in the bios "upgrade".

n_scott_pearson

Sorry, I forgot that Monday was a holiday for the Intel Oregon folks (Martin Luther King day). None of them were online on Monday. They didn't see my alert until Tuesday.

It's good that you mention that tidbit. There may be a clue in that information that could help speed up issue identification.

...S

tomb31
New Contributor I

Why wouldn't it work? You take the old binary, or revert all changes and rebuild the blob, bump the version number and sign it or whatever mechanisms are used to secure it. And if there are sub-firmware blobs that can't go backwards, you do the same with those. Looks like a new release, but internally reverts the code back. I work in software, but we've had our firmware guys do exactly this on more than one occasion. Not that there wasn't a way to go backwards, but because it was simpler/easier to deploy.

As a customer I don't give c*** about this security nonsense. I don't want an expensive paperweight. There are ways to securely provide rollback mechanisms.

mvignol
Novice

hmm... poking around "acpi=off" seems to cause linux to get confused about the core counts.  so it's not part of the root issue, it's a side effect of the workaround.  so it's not a paperweight, it's just horribly crippled until a fix.

tomb31
New Contributor I

You can only use one CPU because APIC provides the MADT (Multiple APIC Description) table contains all the information to discover the other cores and APIC. So, without ACPI the OS has to assume that your system only has one CPU, there's no way to use more than one core.

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi everyone,

I dont really have much to add to this conversation other than apologize for the issue caused with BIOS 0058 and offer warranty replacement for the affected NUCs.

Please reach out to our Intel Customer Support Service via phone, chat, or web ticketing (we don't provide warranty services over the Intel Community) and make reference to case number 4937159.

Here is our contact reference information:

Regards,

Ronny G

sgs77
Novice

The previous message, which means? That our Nuc have no solution? Those who have been updated, you won't read it, have to be able to install another bios, to fix the problem.
Moto-Bro
Beginner

I've been struggling with the same problem for a few days, tried every combination. Won't boot from hard drive or USB stick. I upgraded to Bios 58 only because I thought it might solve the problem that I was having with the SD card slot not being recognized by the OS - it shows up fine and is enabled in the Bios Setup. BOXNUC7CJYH1 running Ubuntu 20.04. Can't restore Bios, and can't downgrade (if that option is not available, why do they even have it in their power button menu? It would be a good idea if Intel provides an interim upgrade - God I hope that will work, while they fix the problem. Otherwise they will have a lot of "bricks" showing up on their doorstep.

tomb31
New Contributor I

On the bright side, you now have the most secure firmware that can't even be rolled back. It's so secure, it doesn't even run the security nightmare called Linux. It's so secure, it won't even show up on your network anymore, so there's a whole lot fewer security risks now.

TCCGeek
New Contributor I

Thanks for posting this case on Intel Forums concerning bios update that cause Linux OS unable to boot and stuck at blank screen. The day you post your issue is the exact date when I also experienced a blank screen when I try to reinstall LMDE4 on my dual-booting NUC7PJYH1. After recent bios update, when I select LMDE4 to operate, I got stuck on Initial ramdisk and nothing happens after that. I try to use a live-usb with LMDE4 on it to try to nomodeset just to fix this issue but it stuck to blank screen. I even try to use several live-usb from Ubuntu 18.04.5, Ubuntu 20.04.1, Ubuntu Mate 20.04.1, Linux Mint 20.1 Mate, and even try the lightweight RPI Desktop but to no avail. I tried those live-usb on my laptop, it did boot up and have no problem with it. Surely, Intel will fix this problem with another bios update to be able to boot the Linux OS kernel esp on dual-booted PC. Glad you presented this well so that they can address this issue as soon as possible.

pleasefixthis
New Contributor I

@Ronny_G_Intel Could you please elaborate a bit on what you mean by that? Most here would probably be happy with just getting a BIOS update that fixes the issue. It would be good to know when/if we can expect that to be released. Or do we have to get a new NUC?

Vorasilp
Novice

I got a call from Intel customer service staff yesterday about the case I submitted earlier on this bios issue. She asked me whether I want to do RMA replacement. If we can get a bios fix in a few weeks I can wait but if it is going to take more than that for new bios to be released I will go with RMA. 

mvignol
Novice

my guess is they can't really give a timeframe on a fix.  i they offer an rma, i'd be inclined to take it.  i filed a support ticket a few days back but haven't heard anything...

Animal666
Beginner

Same issue here with my NUC7PJYH, 0058 BIOS has been pulled offline now, so its definitely a BIOS issue.

Had alive chat with support, and they tried telling me that because Ubuntu isn't officially supported, so it's not their fault? I've had ubuntu running fine on it for 2 years.

The normal work around is to uncheck the UEFI boot option box and the enable it again,  but they have the box greyed out on this version of the bios.

I've tried every method to downgrade the BIOS, and tried the recovery bios method, all with no joy.

anyone else find a fix?

robimo
Novice

I appreciate Intel's warranty replacement offer.
I would like to know if Intel plans to release a fix to the bios or if replacement is the only way forward.

pleasefixthis
New Contributor I

Any news on this, Intel? I need to use my NUC again!

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I don't have a quick solution for this issue, we dont have a BIOS update that can fix this issue right away (this will take some time) and after running BIOS 0058 the system BIOS cannot be downgraded to a previous version. 

The only solution at this point is to replace the unit under warranty, I know that is not what you would like to hear but I dont have any other option to offer you at this point. I really apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Ronny G

Animal666
Beginner

I think they’re just replacing the NUC’s, mine’s being picked up in 2 days and going back to them, they’ll send me my replacement after my old one has been checked over, however long that takes🤷‍