Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dpostolov
Novice

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Hi! Sorry for my bad English...

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Intel BOXNUC7PJYH2 Version #: J67992-404, Date of Manufacture: 22 May 2020.

With previous BIOS 0057 all OK with Linux, Unix-like OSes and Windows. After upgrading the BIOS by F7 to version 0058 and F9 - Load defaults and configure Bios (with Linux or Windows boot profile and disable Secure Boot), Windows 10 installer is loading successfully from USB stick, but Linux and Unix-like (FreeBSD and NetBSD) are not loaded.

Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce edition -> blank screen when loading and system stops
FreeBSD 12.2 Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/OvWKz7XfLH_EGA
NetBSD 9.1_STABLE Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/-uSPJoVtqTr0gA

1. Please remove Intel NUC7PJYH Bios 0058 from Download Center to avoid problems with Linux and Unix-like users.
2. Please fix this Bios bug for Linux users

Probably this is a problem with ACPI BIOS settings for Linux and Unix-like OSes.

144 Replies
robimo
Novice

I appreciate Intel's warranty replacement offer.
I would like to know if Intel plans to release a fix to the bios or if replacement is the only way forward.

pleasefixthis
New Contributor I

Any news on this, Intel? I need to use my NUC again!

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I don't have a quick solution for this issue, we dont have a BIOS update that can fix this issue right away (this will take some time) and after running BIOS 0058 the system BIOS cannot be downgraded to a previous version. 

The only solution at this point is to replace the unit under warranty, I know that is not what you would like to hear but I dont have any other option to offer you at this point. I really apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Ronny G

Animal666
Beginner

Bit of a shame if you have a dual boot system,
I suppose it’s Bye Bye Windows OS License if it’s a non-retail version?
Animal666
Beginner

I think they’re just replacing the NUC’s, mine’s being picked up in 2 days and going back to them, they’ll send me my replacement after my old one has been checked over, however long that takes🤷‍
mvignol
Novice

i've been offered the same solution -- send mine in and wait till they send me a replacement.  or pay $25 for them to ship me one overnight and w/ a return label.  frankly, since this was their mess up, it seems that $25 should be waived.  spending $25 to get back up and running is what happens when you install ransomware, not official bios updates.

tomb31
New Contributor I

Just beware that Intel MAY send you a refurbished replacement unit. I had to exchange a brand new defective NUC about 2 years ago and luckily they sent me (I'm in the US) a brand new one. But at no point were they able to guarantee me that I would receive a brand new unit. I was quite annoyed because it was literally only a month or so old. I guess I got lucky. I did however pay the $25 because I needed a replacement asap, and it really was a very, very quick process. They did place a temporary charge for the full retail price on my credit card that was dropped once they received the defective unit.

OM-1
Beginner

I have the exact same problem, after going through this thread, looks like it's a BUG with the 0058 version. Whats the solution, we wait for them until they release a patch? My unit is only a month old. Lesson learned, never upgrade the bios if the system if running fine.

tomb31
New Contributor I

That's how security is achieved. Security that you don't end up with a paper weight. Never touch a working system, especially if the manufacturer doesn't allow to roll back updates when they create problems.

Luckily I missed the 58 update, usually I jump on them right away. But 57 was the last update I will ever install on my NUC, it's just not worth the risk going forward.

Animal666
Beginner

They're not sure when the BIOS fix will be out, so I think they're replacing them? 

open a live chat with support, and message them?

Mine is being picked up by courier tomorrow.

OM-1
Beginner

As a work around, I installed Hyper-V Core 2019 (free) and then installed Ubuntu on the top of it. It's holding up pretty good. But you need 8GB of ram.
LeCaNo
New Contributor I

Today i got my replacement NUC7PJYH from Amazon Germany.

In the future i will wait with the BIOS updates. Or i let my new NUC7PJYH at BIOS 0057.

Moto-Bro
Beginner

OM-1: Open up a support request with Intel. They will replace your NUC, turnaround could be up to 2 weeks including shipping times.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

@pleasefixthis asked a question and then deleted it, but I will answer it anyway since it was asked more than once.

You cannot downgrade by installing an older version over top of a newer one. This would be possible only if every pertinent firmware capsule in the package was regenerated with a new 'hotfix' version number. Since the NUC BIOS team does not own all of these capsules - and thus cannot regenerate them - this can't be done.

Sorry,

...S

tomb31
New Contributor I

Intel owns it. I don't think customers should be expected to care about the internal (dysfunctional) organization of their teams and how they operate. Sometimes managers need to go up a few levels to make things happen. It *can* be done, they just don't want to. Probably not enough people being screwed right now. Can you imagine if firmware updates happened automatically? I don't see them asking thousands or millions of customers to send in their device for a replacement...

robimo
Novice

no news of a new BIOS?

n_scott_pearson

I haven't heard anything. Pinging the team...

...S

n_scott_pearson

BIOS is in validation. One or two users have been provided with the test BIOS to verify it works for their issue. Everyone else will see it once validation is complete.

It's taking way too long...sigh!

...S

Aroshigami
Novice

Hi, testing takes how many days, months? Maybe you can suggest

Cornelius
Novice

I can not believe that Intel is not releasing an update, I have not been able to use the computer for weeks. I will never update my other 3 Nuc's bios again. NEVER. I will never buy an Intel computer again. NEVER!

LeCaNo
New Contributor I

@Cornelius 

reach out to the Intel Customer Service and ask for a warranty replacement. See the reply from @Ronny_G_Intel 

community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/Intel-NUC7PJYH2-BIOS-Upgrade-to-0058-causes-boot-failure-Linux/m-p...