Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dpostolov
Beginner

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Hi! Sorry for my bad English...

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Intel BOXNUC7PJYH2 Version #: J67992-404, Date of Manufacture: 22 May 2020.

With previous BIOS 0057 all OK with Linux, Unix-like OSes and Windows. After upgrading the BIOS by F7 to version 0058 and F9 - Load defaults and configure Bios (with Linux or Windows boot profile and disable Secure Boot), Windows 10 installer is loading successfully from USB stick, but Linux and Unix-like (FreeBSD and NetBSD) are not loaded.

Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce edition -> blank screen when loading and system stops
FreeBSD 12.2 Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/OvWKz7XfLH_EGA
NetBSD 9.1_STABLE Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/-uSPJoVtqTr0gA

1. Please remove Intel NUC7PJYH Bios 0058 from Download Center to avoid problems with Linux and Unix-like users.
2. Please fix this Bios bug for Linux users

Probably this is a problem with ACPI BIOS settings for Linux and Unix-like OSes.

87 Replies
HeathGT
Novice

I have the exact same problem! I was running Linux Mint 20.1 and as soon as I updated to v58 I can no longer boot into the OS, no matter what I try. I have tried everything, resetting all bios settings etc. This latest update bricked my NUC7PJYH as far as Linux is concerned! I can install Windows 10 on it now but that's it. I have tried rolling back to v57 but it wont let you! Please Intel! You have bricked our machines! Please release a new BIOS update fix soon!

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I have a nagging suspicion. Someone try installing a distro using UEFI Boot (instead of Legacy Boot) and see if that works. While I didn't think they were going to do it via BIOS release (I thought they were going to make decision on a product-by-product basic), I wonder if they've dropped Legacy support. Hopefully this isn't the case...

...S

dpostolov
Beginner

Hi!

Intel NUC7PJYH2 Bios supports only Uefi mode and Linux and Unix-like OSes boot in Uefi mode.

Bios screenshot: https://yadi.sk/i/e1QIOl5G4p5DNg
Uefi Boot checkbox is unsetable.

IntelNUC7PJYH2_Bios.jpg

HeathGT
Novice

Yes only UEFI is available! I've tried to reinstall Ubuntu and Linux Mint, neither will install either, just a blank screen! Windows 10 installs! Intel needs to let us roll back to 57 until they get this fixed!!
Victor_G_Intel

Hello dpostolov,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We appreciate the information provided and we will use it to do further research about your issue on our end, and we will update this thread as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

Lorca
Beginner

Same issue on my box.
Ubuntu 20.04, with Seciure Boot enabled boot hangs with "EFI stub: UEFI Secure Boot os enabled" on the screen. With Secure Boot disabled just a black screen. Also tested with live USB of Ubuntu 20.10 and Fedora 33.

HeathGT
Novice

Mine is NUC version NUC7PJYH by the way. Secure boot is not enabled.
JMarty
Novice

@Victor_G_Intel 

I have the same exact problem. I have received my new NUC NUC7PJYH2 and updated to the newest bios straight away. I tried to boot the following systems without success:

- Ubuntu 16.04 (officially certified as compatible)

- Ubuntu 18.04

- Ubuntu 20.04

- Fedora 33

- Manjaro

- FreeBSD

Windows boots and works fine. Please Intel fix it as soon as you can. I can not use my brand new computer (I specifically bought this because of linux support).

Bios downgrade is also not possible due to the microcode patch.

HeathGT
Novice

Same here! Please Intel we need this problem fixed ASAP my NUC is basically bricked right now because of this BIOS update. And take note, my model is just NUC7PJYH. Not NUC7PJYH2. Not sure what the differences are.
LeCaNo
Novice

I have the same problem. My NUC7PJYH is currently unusable
HeathGT
Novice

Any ETA on a fix? Should I just return my NUC? I still have about 16 days left to do so from the place I bought it from if it is going to take a while. Thanks for looking into the issue!

Vorasilp
Novice

Same here, 

NUC7PJYH bios 0058, these are things I tried to boot

what is working:

- Windows 10 Home installed on internal SSD

- Windows 10 Installer in USB drive

what's not working:

- Linux Mint 20.1 installed on internal SSD

- Linux Mint Installer in USB drive

- KDE neon installer in USB drive

- Acronis True Image 2020 bootable media (USB drive)

JMarty
Novice

@admin @intel 

This is crazy. I tried to reach Intel live chat to solve my problem, but the agent disconnected the chat. Now I am no longer able to open a new one.

It is unacceptable! I purchased a device 2 days ago for a specific purpose which is clearly stated on the specs, that is officially supported. I updated the BIOS therefore it doesn't boot Linux anymore. No rollback is possbile due to the new microcode update. My NUC is now totally useless.

I need immidiate soultion:

- Rollback possibility

- Immediate fix

- New device (with older bios) or refund

I don't have months to wait for a new update. I need soultion ASAP!

Balazs
Beginner

Dear @Victor_G_Intel 

I have exact same issue like the others, I purchased the NUC7CJYH 3 days ago. Out of the box, I was able to install Linux based op system (Home Assistant NUC image, https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ ). It was a successfull installation.

Following the installation, I updated the BIOS to 0058 and from this point the NUC did not boot at all, it freeze as soon as it would load the op sys. 

I tried installing different op systems (Debian 10.7.0 stable, Proxmox VE 6.3) and tried to re-install the Home Assistant OS as well, but all failed at the same point. On the other hand, I managed to install Windows 10 without any issue to the same storage from the same USB key.

As the NUC was practically bricked and not usable for me, I returned it to the store.

As I found this forum, I purchased the same NUC7CJYH again and out of the box with BIOS 0057 I was able to install all the mentioned op sys without any issue.

I used exact same SSD storage, USB keys, op sys images, same installation process and all went ok with BIOS 0057 but all failed with BIOS 0058.

I hope it helps.

Balázs

HeathGT
Novice

Are we going to see a fix to our bricked units soon or not? Just give us a straight answer. Should be easy to let us roll back to v57 if you take the microcode upgrade out that keeps us from downgrading. I just need to know if I need to go through the trouble of returning my device.

pleasefixthis
New Contributor I

I just upgraded my bios. I thought "Well, this has been released since December 2020, so it will be fine". What a mistake! Now my Linux boot hangs at "loading initial ramdisk" and not even a fresh Arch image on a USB-Stick will boot (screen just stays black after selecting the first, default install option).

As many others have stated, this makes our NUCs completely useless atm (no, windows is not an option for me right now - my files are on the linux installation).

Why don't you put any warning on that bios download, intel?! Please give us a fast fix, even it is temporary. E. g. option of downgrading until 0058 has been worked on.

HeathGT
Novice

For real! Why is this not getting more attention! I don't even feel like Intel knows about this. They bricked my machine. Completely unacceptable !!
pleasefixthis
New Contributor I

I was just trying to contact their support hotline. But here (Germany) they are closed on weekends... Will try again on monday, if nothing has changed until then.

LeCaNo
Novice

I check weekly for new BIOS updates and the BIOS version 0058 was not available before January 2021. So, it was released and uploaded by Intel in December 2020, but released in January 2021 for all customer.