Hi! Sorry for my bad English...
Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems
Intel BOXNUC7PJYH2 Version #: J67992-404, Date of Manufacture: 22 May 2020.
With previous BIOS 0057 all OK with Linux, Unix-like OSes and Windows. After upgrading the BIOS by F7 to version 0058 and F9 - Load defaults and configure Bios (with Linux or Windows boot profile and disable Secure Boot), Windows 10 installer is loading successfully from USB stick, but Linux and Unix-like (FreeBSD and NetBSD) are not loaded.
1. Please remove Intel NUC7PJYH Bios 0058 from Download Center to avoid problems with Linux and Unix-like users.
2. Please fix this Bios bug for Linux users
Probably this is a problem with ACPI BIOS settings for Linux and Unix-like OSes.
NUC7PJYH bios 0058, these are things I tried to boot
what is working:
- Windows 10 Home installed on internal SSD
- Windows 10 Installer in USB drive
what's not working:
- Linux Mint 20.1 installed on internal SSD
- Linux Mint Installer in USB drive
- KDE neon installer in USB drive
- Acronis True Image 2020 bootable media (USB drive)
I just upgraded my bios. I thought "Well, this has been released since December 2020, so it will be fine". What a mistake! Now my Linux boot hangs at "loading initial ramdisk" and not even a fresh Arch image on a USB-Stick will boot (screen just stays black after selecting the first, default install option).
As many others have stated, this makes our NUCs completely useless atm (no, windows is not an option for me right now - my files are on the linux installation).
Why don't you put any warning on that bios download, intel?! Please give us a fast fix, even it is temporary. E. g. option of downgrading until 0058 has been worked on.
I was just trying to contact their support hotline. But here (Germany) they are closed on weekends... Will try again on monday, if nothing has changed until then.
The people that need to make this kind of change are not available until Monday. There will be some ICS engineers available tomorrow (Sunday), but I am unsure any of them can make the modifications to the web pages. I have sent a note to the persons that I believe need to handle this, but they may not see this note before Monday.
I hate to say it, but, based upon past experience, the absolute minimum amount of time to see a fix for an issue such as this is on the order of one to two weeks. There is investigation time, fix development time, fix testing time, fix regression time, BIOS integration, BIOS validation and BIOS regression steps that all have to performed before a BIOS is released.
Have any of you tried installing Linux into a VM on top of Windows 10?
Thank you! In the meantime it would be acceptable to just have a downgrade to 0057 enabled, until they've fixed the other one. At this time I just need my machine to work properly and cannot wait two weeks without loss of productivity...
Users of "old" machines can be the customers of new ones tomorrow... or go to the competition if they don't feel treated well.
No, sorry, supporting a downgrade capability is simply not possible. This has been explained ad nauseum; I won't discuss it any further. When the fix clears validation, it will be released. When it is released, you will be notified.
If you want to have your unit replaced, this is certainly possible. I am willing to bet that the fix will be here before that process could be completed, however.
Your other option is to install Windows 10 Pro and run your Linux distro in a Hyper-V VM. Remember that you can (still) install Windows 10 Pro essentially for free if you have an old, unused license for Windows 7 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro.
Thanks for answer... For my use case to fiddle with windows and vm is a pain in the ass. Waiting two weeks for something which should happen at all is no go to. So I bought different small factor PC, hopefully the other manufacturer will not block me from downgrading bios if something goes wrong.
Hi, same Problem in my case, NUC7JYB version J67969-400 Ubuntu 20.04 doesn't boot after bios update. Please INTEL, give us a chance to change back to the old BIOS version or fix the problem!
Thanks for the info. Running an OS without ACPI is not option, but that is a start. Appreciate.
Ubuntu is officially supported by Intel. See here.
I have also contacted with the customer service and they are investigating the issue. I had to send them log file (SSU Utility). I guess there is nothing we can do but waiting for the fix.
acpi=off is absolutely no option, we really need a fix asap. My NUC7PJYH is a 300€ paperweight since a week. The BIOS Update is still available for download.
I gave my local Intel Hotline a call yesterday. The person on the other end didn't appear to be aware of the issue and just told me, that Linux would need to be "boot order three". Since I don't think that's related to the issue and I don't want to set up my PC without a good chance of it working again, I haven't tried it. If someone wants to, they can feel free to do so and post the results here.
All in all, I am somewhat disappointed we haven't got any official Intel statement concerning this issue so far. Makes me wonder if Intel really is a good choice for Linux users.
Just so everyone understands, Intel does not compromise on security. The impact of this statement is that, once an firmware upgrade that includes a security fix is installed, you will not be able to uninstall this firmware upgrade. Why? Well, if you could, it wouldn't be a very secure system. Rogue software would simply downgrade the firmware and then be able to take advantage of the vulnerability(s) that were addressed by this firmware. You simply cannot downgrade the firmware; there are no exceptions.
It is unfortunate that this issue slipped through the cracks. That it should have been caught goes without saying - but it wasn't. All that Intel can do now is investigate both why it slipped through the cracks and why it prevents Linux initialization and address both issues as quickly as possible. I can assure you that they are doing so. I would be surprised if they made an official statement, however. They don't have much of a track record for doing that. As for when the fix will be available, Intel policy does not allow them to say. When it's ready, they will make it available.
Well, evidently if I have the choice between a slightly less secure firmware and a paper weight, I'd pick the former any day.
Not even being able to set a jumper to be able to downgrade is ridiculous.
Thank god I stumbled over this thread. I usually jump on bios upgrades as they are released. Never had issues with the many NUCs I've owned. But thank god I didn't this time around...
Guess what I'll be doing from this point on: I won't be upgrading the BIOS regularly anymore. I simply don't want to be stuck with a paper weight. I'm sure I won't be alone, the end result is less security because people are too afraid to brick their computers with evidently untested firmware that can't be rolled back at all.
The other choice Intel has right now would be to take version 57, and release it as version 59. This way, at least people could "upgrade" again and un-brick their computers. This should be an easy task that they should be able to do in less than a day.