Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dpostolov
Novice

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Hi! Sorry for my bad English...

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Intel BOXNUC7PJYH2 Version #: J67992-404, Date of Manufacture: 22 May 2020.

With previous BIOS 0057 all OK with Linux, Unix-like OSes and Windows. After upgrading the BIOS by F7 to version 0058 and F9 - Load defaults and configure Bios (with Linux or Windows boot profile and disable Secure Boot), Windows 10 installer is loading successfully from USB stick, but Linux and Unix-like (FreeBSD and NetBSD) are not loaded.

Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce edition -> blank screen when loading and system stops
FreeBSD 12.2 Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/OvWKz7XfLH_EGA
NetBSD 9.1_STABLE Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/-uSPJoVtqTr0gA

1. Please remove Intel NUC7PJYH Bios 0058 from Download Center to avoid problems with Linux and Unix-like users.
2. Please fix this Bios bug for Linux users

Probably this is a problem with ACPI BIOS settings for Linux and Unix-like OSes.

144 Replies
jmmantel
Novice

same problem on 3 x NUC7PJYH with dual-boot win 10 and debian. impossible to use the linux partitions since the bios upgrade from 57 to 59... and i did not find anyway to downgrade. i wonder if a 60 bios version is in process.

jmmantel
Novice

did someone succeed to downgrade the bios, from 58 or 59 to 57, by using the security jumper technique?

porkchop999
Beginner

jmmantel
Novice

does it mean that you tried the security jumper technique and the downgrade failed?

porkchop999
Beginner

Yes tried that and reset the bios no go
Michael_B2
Novice

A big step forward, the version 0059 is removed again from the download page.  What will be your next surprise Intel? This is really is a great tragedy ...

jmmantel
Novice

yes, i saw that. they offer the 57 version instead of the 59. the 58 can still be downloaded. it means that they took in consideration this bug.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

BIOS 60, which purportedly has a fix for this issue, is in the process of being released. It should propagate to the various WW Download Center servers sometime in the next 8-24 hours.

...S

P.S. Just the messenger!

LeonWaksman
Super User

The new version 0060 is ready for download.

Leon

porkchop999
Beginner

Working for me. Thankyou

dpostolov
Novice

Hi! Sorry for my bad English...

With Bios 0060:

Windows 10 starts successfully!

LinuxMint 20.1 starts successfully!

FreeBSD 13.0-RC3 starts successfully!

NetBSD 9.1 starts successfully!

Intel, Thanks!

jmmantel
Novice

it works! Thank you.

Aroshigami
Novice

Excuse me for my english, but there is a complete changelog regarding update 060.

AlHill
Super User

As complete as we will get...

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/30329/eng/JY_0060_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

jmmantel
Novice

what does a "complete change log" mean?

Aroshigami
Novice

Forgive me for my bad English, well, is it not that in the 060 version only the loading of GNU/Linux was fixed? that some strange updates.

>> Fixed booting issues with LINUX OS systems when upgrading BIOS
version.

jmmantel
Novice

thank you. in anyway, it works for our common trouble to work with linux systems.

Aroshigami
Novice

This is good, well, maybe there are some other changes in terms of optimization and safety of the device, here is my question about the update.

TCCGeek
New Contributor I

With the recent BIOS Update 060 on my Intel NUC7PJYH1, I'm back again on dual-booting Windows 10 and Linux OS specifically Linux Mint MATE 20.1. This works perfectly on my machine. More thanks to Intel on this matter.