Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KBoe
Beginner

Intel NUC7i5BNK WLAN driver issues: what else can be done?

Problem description: cannot find any wireless networks and when running the Win10 troubleshooter, it says I might have a driver issue. So I ran the Intel support tool, updated all drivers but the problem remains the same. Interestingly, the Intel support tool does not detect any issues with the driver or the AC8265 and says that the device is running properly.

I did delete all network devices, resetted, rebooted and all. But I am running out of options. Any ideas on how to go on?

System:

NUC 7i5BNK

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

Driver Version20.70.5.2; Driver Date26.11.2018

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)

Version1803OS Build10.0.17134

Build Branchrs4_release

0 Kudos
21 Replies
NS13
Novice

Looks like you have a wrong driver. IDSA reports the latest driver as 20.70.3.3 (Driver Date 3.09.2018)

Also, AC 8265 is not supported in your driver version: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28444/eng/ReleaseNotes_WiFi_20_90_0.pdf

KBoe
Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply. I wish the solution would be that one. If you check on https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/product/94150 you will see that there is a new version out since January 15. For the fun of it I tried finding the 20.70.3.3 version but it cannot be found on the Intel download center anymore

KBoe
Beginner

Oh.... and it gets even worse: the Intel Driver and Support Assistant tray scans my system and says I have version20.70.5.2 installed. But when I go to properties of the AC 8265 it shows I have the 20.70.3.3 installed.

NS13
Novice

In my case, both Device manager and IDSA show 20.70.3.3 as installed and the latest version.

Did you try to roll back the driver or uninstall it and reinstall again?

NS13
Novice

Something weird happens: NUC7i5 specific drivers download page shows, contrary to IDSA, that the latest WLAN driver version is 20.90.0 - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95061/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i5BNK

KBoe
Beginner

Thanks for your help here. I could not roll back. The option was greyed out. But deleted device and drivers. Restarted and now the driver version installed is 20.70.0.5. Problem remained the same.

I now checked for driver updates and it installed 20.70.5.2. 😂

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Just a thought: Open your NUC chassis and make sure that the two antenna leads are properly attached to the connectors on the board.

Hope this helps,

...S

KBoe
Beginner

Scott,

instead of following your idea, I booted an Ubuntu stick to see if Ubuntu would detect the wlan-adapter et voilá: it worked like a charm. It is a driver issue I am having here on Win10. Can anybody come up with a solution? Any further ideas?

n_scott_pearson

Here is something to try:​

1. Download latest WiFi and BT installation packages and place on system disk.
  2. Disconnect Internet and disable wireless.
  3. Uninstall both WiFi and BT packages.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Install BT package first.
  6. Install WiFi​ package second.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Reconnect Internet.
  9. Test.​

Hope this helps,

...S

KBoe
Beginner

Thanks for not giving up, Scott. When you say "place installation packages on system disk": Do you mean I should make a recovery-usb-stick or so? In which folder should I place the packages?

n_scott_pearson

Just somewhere where you will find them. Once internet access is disabled, you won't be doing any downloading, so you want them already there. You can place them on your system disk, a USB stick, etc.

...S

KBoe
Beginner

I tried that now, Scott. Actually a few times. Currently I have version 20.70.6.1 from 31.12.2018 installed and the problem remains the same.

KBoe
Beginner

OK, I tried all that and no matter which version gets installed: the error remains the same. Currently, I have version 20.70.6.1 from 31.12.2018 installed. For what it´s worth: all previous versions I have installed will produce the same error.

n_scott_pearson

When you click on the Network Icon, does it see any wireless networks? Is it a connection issue or does it seem that the wireless is not seeing anything at all?

...S

KBoe
Beginner

Nope, Scott. I click the network icon and it does not show any. It is definitely not a connection issue and not showing any networks at all. Therefore, it doesn´t even try to connect. Will add a few screenshots

deleteagain.png

n_scott_pearson

Ok, so let's summarize: You've tried everything that I usually do to rectify these types of problems. You've downloaded and installed the drivers from scratch - the same ones that I am running on more than a dozen different NUC models and on all four Compute Stick models. A couple of these units utilize the exact same wireless IC.

The only difference that I can identify right now is that you are running the 1803 release while I have upgraded all of my units to the 1809 release - and yes, BTW (answering the questions asked in another conversation), some of these I had to manually upgrade and some required extraordinary steps before they would upgrade, namely adding SDXC cards to these units and then telling the installer to use them so that it would have enough storage to actually perform the upgrade.

Ok, I am having a hard time blaming this on you having only the 1803 release installed, but it is certainly something to try.

If you do try this, I recommend that, after doing the upgrade, you reinstall the Bluetooth and Wireless drivers from scratch as I detailed previously. I also recommend that you manually upgrade to the DCH video drivers. This requires a similar process, namely,

1. Disconnect Internet
  2. Uninstall existing non-DCH driver
  3. Reboot
  4. Install new DCH driver
  5. Reboot
  6. Reconnect internet
  7. Let Windows Update do its thing
  8. Test.

If that doesn't work, the last thing I can think of is to blame this on a bad Wireless IC and RMA the unit.

Hope this helps,

...S

KBoe
Beginner

Hello Scott,

Thanks for all your help. My system does not offer an upgrade to the 1809 release. According to MS it happens when they detect components which are not compatible. Now, I am not aware that I have any weird components installed but anyhow the upgrade is not possible. I opened a ticket with the Intel support last Friday. Yet, there is no reply.

Btw, I do not feel blamed at all. I do what I can but I know my skills are limited.

Bad Wireless IC and RMA unit? That might make sense but then it works flawlessly on Ubuntu. That wouldn´t work if there were some hardware error, right?

KBoe
Beginner

Hello Scott,

Thanks for all your help. My system does not offer an upgrade to the 1809 release. According to MS it happens when they detect components which are not compatible. Now, I am not aware that I have any weird components installed but anyhow the upgrade is not possible. I opened a ticket with the Intel support last Friday. Yet, there is no reply.

Btw, I do not feel blamed at all. I do what I can but I know my skills are limited.

Bad Wireless IC and RMA unit? That might make sense but then it works flawlessly on Ubuntu. That wouldn´t work if there were some hardware error, right?

KBoe
Beginner

It seems I can narrow down the problem: added an external wlan adapter and the problem remained the same. So probably it is not a driver problem but rather something about the Windows10 configuration.

I ran "netsh wlan show profile" and no profiles are configured on the system. Not sure why or if this is an issue at all.

I ran "netsh wlan show networks" et voilá: my wireless networks show up.

So the issue might be that there are profiles missing. Since I did not find out immediately how to set up new profiles, I downloaded "netsetman" a network manager which allows to add multiple profiles. Also there the local wlan networks came up and it gave me an option to setup a new profile.

IT WORKS! IT WORKS! IT WORKS! 😆

Now, I have no clue why profiles were ever deleted, why the Windows10 detected possible driver issues or why no networks were shown in the list of available networks. I would still like to know if this is just related to own stupidity or if there is another explanation.

n_scott_pearson

Unless you have some bizarre - and ancient - USB devices plugged in, you do not have any incompatible components. That's the normal baloney you get out of MS support. The one other possibility - which MS should have mentioned - is that you may have one of the Intel HD Graphics driver releases that MS blocked due to them making calls to functions that MS doesn't want them using. Check what version you have installed (check in Apps and Features Settings) and let us know.

...S