Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12531 Discussions

Intel NUC8i5BEH Microphone over Jack 3.5mm not working on Windows 11

leonardo_forum
New Contributor I

Hello,

On the Intel NUC8i5BEH the microphone is not working on Windows 11.

I connected an headset (with microphone) on the 3.5mm jack and even if the popup is shown and I selected Headset, the microphone is not working at all.

Is a drivers update required? On Ubuntu 21.10 (with some config changes) everything is working.

Thank you

Leonardo

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

When you running you NUC on Windows, you need to install the relevant drivers, which you can download from the Intel Download Site.

As a first you need to download and install the  Intel® Chipset Device Software and the  Intel® Management Engine. After installation reboot your NUC.  Next install the Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver . After installing this driver your microphone should work. 

You may continue to install all other drivers.

Leon

leonardo_forum
New Contributor I

Thank you Leon for your reply. I tried to follow your steps but the jack microphone is not recognized yet. What can I do?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi,

Since you wrote that with Linux the microphone works, I'm assuming that in BIOS the mic is enabled and there is no hardware problem in NUC or in the microphone.

Check in Windows settings System>Sound>Input that the relevant microphone is selected.

You may run the troubleshooter to help resolve the problem System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooter > Recording Audio.

See an example in the attached images.

Leon

microphone.png

leonardo_forum
New Contributor I

Hello Leon,

I don't have the second Microphone on Windows 11

w11mic.png

If I remember was there with Windows 10.

The troubleshooter is telling me that nothing wrong is detected.

Cheers,

Leonardo

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Leonardo,

In this case I understand why your microphone is not working (is not recognized in Windows), but I don't understand how it is working in Linux. In order to be recognized in Windows, the microphone should have plug as shown on fig. 5, page 17 in the Technical Product Specification, should be enabled in BIOS and should be selected in Windows setting as a sound input device.

Since the above is not working for you, you may select and use the build in Microphone Array (click on the arrow on the right and then enable the Microphone Array).

Leon

leonardo_forum
New Contributor I

Thanks for the reply, now the situation is getting clearer.

The headset is a Sennheiser HD4.40BT with the following audio cable

DSC_0020.JPG

There is a microphone but works only with Bluetooth so there is no microphone signal on the jack.

When the 3.5mm Jack is connected the internal NUC microphone (Microphone Array) is not working so there is no sound.

On Ubuntu the internal NUC microphone is still working with the jack connected and so the audio was captured from there.

Is possible to use the internal microphone and the audio output of the jack at the same time on Windows 11?

Thank you,

Cheers,

Leonardo

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Leonardo,

I'm glad that it is getting clearer for you but it is not for me. I don't understand why you are connecting your wireless headset to the 3.5 mm jack instead for using bluetooth connection? You don't need the audio cable at all.

Please read the headset manual, page 16 in order to learn how to pair your headset using bluetooth to your NUC.

Im assuming that you have already installed the Bluetooth Driver and the WiFi Driver.  In order to have your NUC work as expected, I recommend to install all relevant drivers form the Download Page. As already explained in my other post, always start with the Chipset Software.

- Open Settings Bluetooth & Devices

1. Switch Bluetooth ON

2. Click "Add device"

3. Choose Bluetooth

4. Switch your headset ON, your headset should enter pairing mode.

5. When you see your headset in discovered devices list, confirm pairing.

Now you should be able to use your headset without any cable connection.

Leon

BluetoothPairing.png