cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AAaaa1
Beginner

Intel NUC8i5BEH - Tips and tricks [Hacks]

Hi,

I have installed Windows 10 Pro, Samsung Magician and updated to latest BIOS.

Is there anything else that could be done in BIOS to get a better performance or something, like make the fan run slower to make lower noise or anything else?

Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA + 860 EVO 1TB m.2

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB, CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16 memory

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BHarr8
New Contributor III

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

This can push the performance up a little but nothing amazing. I was reading in another thread that this is the only way to force XMP timings on this NUC family. The NUC8i7HVK lets you do XMP directly from the BIOS but this was omitted from the other 8th gen lineup.

raydabruce
Novice

For the M.2 slot you would get better performance with the Samsung 970 EVO to use as a boot and programs/games drive.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN5FJZQ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_tr_t_1?_e...

It's an NVMe drive which doesn't use the SATA pathway but shoots directly down the PCIe lanes for performance that is up to 7 times faster on reads and around 4 to 5 times faster on writes.

I have this drive (500GB) as the sole internal drive since I don't need a lot of capacity. I have the NUC8i5BEK.

As for fan noise, I'm not hearing any and it seems plenty fast on just the balanced power setting.

Since your RAM is 2400mhz it will be running at that speed. I have 2666mhz RAM but it runs at 2400 since I think that's the limitation of the NUC's chipset.

But I can always use the faster RAM on next year's NUC which is rumored to use 2666mhz ram at it's stated speed.

I don't mess around with the fan speeds or voltages or clockspeeds. The Bean Canyon NUCs aren't designed for that. I think the Hades Canyon NUCs are but I'm not a big gamer and those units are beyond my budget.

There are limitations on what you can do as far as tweaking for performance. This is not a desktop, full-power CPU and I wouldn't tweak the BIOS to get a bit more speed since that will affect temperatures and stability and might void your warranty, not to mention it might brick your NUC (not likely, but possible).