cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PVale6
Beginner

Intel NUC8i5BEH2 Randomly freeze

Hello,

I've bought Intel NUC8i5BEH2 and build it on 9. september 2019. It has constant problems with random freezing.

SSD: PNY CS3030 M.2 NVMe 250GB (M280CS3030-250-RB)

RAM: 2x Crucial 4GB DDR4-2400 (CT4G4SFS824A)

Power settings: Power plan is set to Balanced and I've disabled settings to go to sleep and disabled turning off the Screen.

First day I've installed Windows and other software to it. It froze 4 times during the day. When it froze picture on the screen remain frozen so that I see at what time it froze. Nothing works, no keyboard no mouse and I could not connect to it using Windows Remote Desktop. So only thing to do is to force shutdown it.

Below are the times when it froze and in brackets are times when I found out it froze and restart the machine.

9. Sep. 2019 17:43 (17:59)

9. Sep. 2019 18:20 (18:40)

9. Sep. 2019 18:41 (19:19) 

9. Sep. 2019 20:05 (20:52)

9. Sep. 2019 21:45 -> I've installed Intel Driver Support Assistant and updated all drivers to the latest.

- GPU driver was updated from 24.20.100.6345 (installed from windows update) to the version 26.20.100.6912.

- Also updated BIOS to the latest version 0073 (didn't check which version was installed before)

- And some updates of other drivers

After that freezing occur only after couple of days but the problem remains. 

Below are the times when it froze next time.

10. Sep. 2019 11:17 (17:00)

13. Sep. 2019 07:54 (18:20)

14. Sep. 2019 19:00 -> I've installed latest GPU Windows 10 DCH drivers (v26.20.100.7158)

Now with this driver when NUC froze there was no more frozen picture on the screen as with previous drivers, there is only black screen.

Below are the times when it froze again.

16. Sep. 2019 07:23 (19:19)

18. Sep. 2019 15:05 (19:49)

Now from 18. to the 28. Sep. 2019 nothing froze and worked perfectly fine, until...

28. Sep. 2019 16:30 -> I updated GPU Windows 10 DCH drivers from v26.20.100.7158 to v26.20.100.7212 and updated BIOS from 0073 to 0074.

Now it freezing again. Now when NUC froze there is no more black screen like with previous GPU drivers but again frozen picture instead.

28. Sep. 2019 18:45 (20:44)

29. Sep. 2019 04:43 (05:43)

1. Oct. 2019 11:25 (16:29)

What could be wrong with my NUC?

It's weird that it worked 10 days without problem and now after updating GPU and BIOS it freezing again. Maybe after couple of freezes it will begin to work properly again until next time I update GPU or BIOS.

I've also run MemTest86 for couple of hours without errors.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello PVale6,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to have a better understanding of the issue, could you please confirm the following details and troubleshooting steps:

1- Do you receive any error message or error code from Windows? If so, please provide details.

2- Have you checked Windows® Event Viewer to see the details about the logs? If possible, please attach Windows® Event Viewer logs.

3- Have you run a diagnostic tool on the SSD using the manufacturer software or check if there are firmware updates available?

4- Have you tried the following to see if the issue is replicated:

• Windows® Safe Mode.
  • Minimal hardware configuration without non-necessary components/peripherals.
  • Testing using straight-through connections for display (for instance HDMI-to-HDMI), and peripherals (wired mouse/keyboard).
  • Testing with different SSDs (PNY CS3030 M.2 NVMe 250GB (M280CS3030-250-RB) has not been validated or tested by Intel® yet).
  • Clean install of the operating system and check for all Windows® updates available.

5- I would like to recommend a clean installation of the graphics driver in order to install the validated and customized version for this NUC, which is version 26.20.100.6912:

5.1-  Download the Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC

5.2- Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

5.3- Uninstall any graphics driver from Control Panel >> Programs and Features. (or from Windows® >> Apps & Features).

5.4-  Restart the computer.

5.5-  Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" >> if not, repeat steps 2 through 4.

5.6- If the adapter continues to be listed as "Intel HD Graphics" or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under "Programs and Features" for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

5.6.1- Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

5.6.2- In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.

5.6.3- Click on 'Uninstall'.

5.6.4- Restart. (Repeat steps 5.6.1 through 5.6.4 until the device gets listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

5.7- Install the DCH driver that was downloaded in step 1.

5.8- Restart the computer.

5.9- Reconnect to the Internet.

6- Finally, to discard hardware errors on the processor, please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test. Once the test is done, save the report by clicking on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Note: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

PVale6
Beginner

Hi @AndrewG_Intel​,

Thanks for this steps.

1 - No. Everything just stops working and picture on the screen freeze.

2 - There is nothing usefull in the Event Viewer. There are just messages, after i restarted PC, that at the time of the freeze system shutdown unexpected.

Example from today when it froze 07:13 and I restarted NUC at 17:02:

Error: 3 Oct 2019 17:03:30: The previous system shutdown at 07:13:18 on ‎03/‎10/‎2019 was unexpected.

Critical: 3 Oct 2019 17:03:25: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I've attached logs from Event Viewer from Windows Logs / System.

3 - I've run PNY Drive Utility and it doesn't find any new firmwares.

Firmwares are available on this link http://www.pny.com/support/technical-support/solid-state-drives/firmware-update but there is non for my SSD.

4 - "Have you tried the following to see if the issue is replicated:"

- Didn't try Windows Safe Mode

- There is nothing more I can remove. NUC is running basically headless (Accessing to it usualy using Windows Remote Desktop). Its connected to the network via Ethernet cable and (for now) connected to the TV through the HDMI cable.

- I didn't try different SSD because I don't have any other NVMe drive to test. I will try it with regular 2.5 SATA SSD.

- Every component was new so Windows was clean installed from the start.

5 - I will try to clean install graphics drivers.

6 - All tests passed. Results attached.

For the start I will clone SSD to the regular SATA 2.5 SSD and use it instead just to see if it is something related to the SSD, because i've seeen on the forum that other users had similar problems and replacing SSD helped. I Will report how it goes when (if) it freeze again with different SSD.

Please let me know if you find something suspicius in the attached log.

PVale6
Beginner

I've tried to clone SSD and found out that Windows Device Encryption (not BitLocker) was enabled and couldn't clone it.

I've disable it now and before cloning the SSD I will try if maybe this was causing any issues.

PVale6
Beginner

Disabling Windows Device Encryption didn't solve the problem. It last 4 days until it froze again.

PVale6
Beginner

Next thing I will try is cloning SSD to regular 2.5 SSD SATA drive and use it instead.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PVale6,

Thank you for your response and all the details provided.

Please let us know the outcome once you try cloning the SSD to the regular 2.5 SSD SATA drive.

Also, could you please confirm the following details:

1- Does the issue happen if the NUC is not running headless and not using Remote Access (Windows Remote Desktop?

2- Were you able to test booting up in Windows® Safe Mode?

3- When the issue happens, can it be related to a specific trigger? (using a specific app or task at the moment of the freezing issue?)

4- I understand that every component was new and Windows® was a clean install from the start. However, in order to discard OS issues (for instance, with corrupted files), by any chance would you be able to try a clean install of the OS? (besides trying to clone the SSD).

5- Finally, the logs show errors regarding Kernel-Power, ones of the causes may be issues with the Power Supply. Have you tested plugging it to AC outlet directly in case of using a power strip or have you tested with different Power Supply Unit (maybe from another Intel® NUC)?

Andrew G.

PVale6
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel​ ,

1 - It always freeze when it's headless. NUC is used as a network storage (I have external USB HDD connected) and Plex server is installed for streaming media files on TV. NUC usualy freeze when I'm not using it so it probably freeze when it's Idling.

2 - I will boot to Safe Mode as my last chance. I don't want to run it in safe mode for couple of days. If it would freeze every day or less, then I would try.

3 - For now I don't know the exact trigger why sometimes freeze every day and sometimes after couple of days or more because i'm not around when it happens.

If there is a way to update BIOS with the same version just to test if maybe updating BIOS triggers this freezes to start freezing more frequently just so that testing solutions would not take so long. Because if we check times when it freeze, it started frezing from couple of hours, to daily, to couple of days and at the end it took 10 days until I updated BIOS and it started all over again.

4,5 - ...

First I will wait to see if cloned SSD will help.

Next thing will be using different power supply. I have one power supply from an old notebook that fits with the same specifications. I don't have any other NUC-s. Previously I used Gigabyte GB-BACE-3150 without any issues and it was plugged to the same AC outlet.

And then I will try clean install of OS.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PVale6,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding your inquiry about if there is a way to update the BIOS with the same version for testing purposes, you can try a BIOS Recovery Update using the last version you installed (you mentioned it was BIOS version 0074).

Please refer to the BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC, we also recommend doing the BIOS Recovery using only one stick of memory RAM plugged and wired keyboard/mouse; without the internal SSD, no external SSD/HDD connected, nor other USB thumb drives (except the one with the .bio file), and no other adapters or peripherals.

Also, since the freezing issue only happens when running the Intel® NUC headless, you might try using an HDMI Dummy Plug, Headless Ghost, Display Emulator to check if the issue is directly related to the headless running status. Please keep in mind that this is only a suggestion, it is not mandatory and we are not encouraging you to buy an adapter or device, and we are only suggesting you may try this if you have one handy.

Here is a link with an example of an HDMI Dummy Plug* as a reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-Generation/dp/B06XT1Z9TF

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

Please let me know the outcome of the steps or any other inquiry that you may have.

Andrew G.

PVale6
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel​ ,

I can confirm there is something wrong related to "PNY CS3030 M.2 NVMe 250GB" SSD. I can now repeat freeze everytime doing BIOS recovery then it took around 2 hours for Windows to freeze (sometimes less than an hour) with that drive installed.

When I try the same, cloning NVMe drive to regular SATA drive "OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (VTX4-25SAT3-256G)" and do BIOS recovery, I have it running for almost 2 days and it didn't freeze.

I don't understand why re/installing BIOS would trigger this to happen to that drive. I hope that there is nothing wrong with M.2 slot on the board.

I will try to get one of the validated/compatible NVMe drives and hope it will fix the issue.

biolucent
Beginner

Hello PVale6,

The problem you described sounds very similar to what I experienced. I had a Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2 SSD in my NUC8i7BEH and I was experiencing random freezing in Windows 10. I've replaced the NVMe with a SATA M.2 SSD a few weeks ago and haven't had any freezes. You said it was working fine for 10 days until you updated the BIOS? Perhaps the BIOS update changed some settings. I notice that in the power settings there is an option called "Native ACPI OS PCIe Support" which some PCIe devices may have problem with. If you have that enabled, perhaps deselect that option to see if it helps.

PVale6
Beginner

Thank you @biolucent​ .

I've disable Native ACPI OS PCIe Support and NUC already works 9 hours with NVMe drive installed and it didn't freeze (I've tested using the same procedure - BIOS Recovery).

PVale6
Beginner

Hi @biolucent​ ,

bad news, Windows freezed after 19 hours, so disabling Native ACPI OS PCIe Support didn't helped. Maybe helped a little because it lasted longer.

Will wait for compatible SSD (Kingston KC2000 250GB - SKC2000M8/250G) to arrive to test with it.

EDIT:

I've checked BIOS setting again and looks like Native ACPI OS PCIe Support can't be disabled. I can disable it and save changes and if I go back to the BIOS settings it is enabled back.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PVale6,

I would like to know if you have received the compatible SSD Kingston and if you were able to test with it. Does the issue persist? If you still need further assistance, please let us know.

Andrew G.

PVale6
Beginner

Hi @AndrewG_Intel​ ,

I'm expecting it today. I will test it through the weekend.

PVale6
Beginner

I've installed new Kingston SSD and it lasted 2 hours and NUC freezed again.

It is in list of validated SSDs and it doesn't work in my NUC then it's probably something wrong with my NUC. Now the question is what else can I do?

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PVale6,

Thank you for taking the time sharing the outcome after trying with the new SSD.

One last thing I can think of is testing the following regarding the RAM on the Intel® NUC.

I know that you run a MemTest86* test and it didn't show errors (and the RAM Crucial is on the Validated list), just to rule out if the issue could be related to it, please test using only 1 stick of RAM at a time, then test same way but using only the other stick of RAM.

If possible, test with another RAM kit to see if the behavior still persists. Please let me know either the outcome or if you are not able to test using different RAM.

Regards,

Andrew G.

PVale6
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel​ ,

I will try testing it with one stick at the time, but I don't know if it will make any difference. It will probably not explain why does it work with regular SATA drive without a problem and not with NVMe drives.

But first I will wait for Windows to freeze again, because I can't repeat it with BIOS Recovery procedure anymore. It just froze first time after 2 hours but after restart it still works (for now).

Otherwise, I don't have any other DDR4 RAM to test with and I have no intention of buying it. I already pay too much buying two SSD drives for nothing.

PVale6
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel​ ,

today I've got this error related to igfxEM.exe:

The instruction at 0x00007FF77880E065 referenced memory at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Windows still works without the problem (did not freeze). Didn't have problems for 3 days.

Maybe is really something wrong with memory modules. Last time I switched RAM modules between the slots if maybe helped somehow.

I will try now with separate modules.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PVale6,

Thank you for the latest details provided regarding the troubleshooting steps performed.

I understand that the Intel® NUC has not experienced the freezing issue in the past 3 days (just the error referenced to the memory instruction).

I will wait for your updates regarding the outcome after trying with separate modules to see if the issue is solved.

Regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PVale6,

I would like to know if you were able to test using separate RAM modules. What is the behavior of the Intel® NUC?

Regards,

Andrew G.