Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rree
Beginner

Intel NUC8i5beh having shutdown issue upon Windows 1809 auto update

As per title, once windows auto update to 1809. Shutdown will freeze. Need to hard reset to shut it off... Tried to recover/reset the PC, it work on the reset to previous version. But from time to time, auto update will kick in to this unresolved issue.

FYI, I am using all latest intel driver, NVME SSD, 2x8G sodimm.

Steps taken to solve this:

1) Tried to find the fast boot in windows power section, but fail to find it

​2) Reset OS, it will wok on reset with lower version, but once autoupdate kicks in on 1809, this happen again

3) Checked the device managers, no bang sign or error sign.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
raydabruce
Novice

Update to the latest BIOS (0056). That solved the freeze problem on my NUC8i5BEK.

Rree
Beginner

​As stated, I am using all latest driver plus BIOS 0056. This is the shutdown freeze, once click mouse can see the cursor moving in the black screen.

Suspecting UEFI boot sequence? May I know is it the Poland bios team support the NUC bios? Just curious.

Rree
Beginner

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, is it related to this? Or it might be the acpi assignment wrongly?

Dispatching watchdog error? Wonder how the latest 1809 conflicting with this?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Try the following:

1. Restore to 1804.
  2. Download DCH version of graphics driver (25.20.200.6444).
  3. Disconnect from internet.
  4. Uninstall graphics driver completely.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Install DCH version of graphics driver.
  7. Reboot.
  8. If everything seems to be running ok, let it upgrade to 1809.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. No, not Polish team. NUC resources are in Oregon and Taiwan.

Rree
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Did some rolled back by uninstall the update, no luck as well. Finally, I have done a OS reset, this temp resolve the shutdown issue as for now. But as stated once the 1809 kick in, this will happen again.

In reply to your suggestion, you are suspecting G-unit driver issue? But to my understanding, this DCH graphic driver does not list in NUC8i5/i7 download site yet. Perhaps I can download now and try to update my G-unit.

PS. So Nuc not consider as PCCG client device? Hence it is not under Poland team... So this is under Stefan (Oregon) team?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, I was reading about DCH issues and thought this might be coming into play.

...S

P.S. No, this is separate. I am retired now, so I don't know all of the players in the picture.

Rree
Beginner

Hi scott,

Thanks for the update. The latest display driver I notice did fix other issue such as HDMI audio return channel. It will wake up my Av receiver. Notice that this new driver do not have the display icon in task bar as well (I believe this is Microsoft latest direction on DCH driver direction)

Anyway, after the 2nd OS reset, notice that OS still remain in 1809. And I assume that no more shutdown issue as for now.

Please close this.

Thanks Scott.

Rree
Beginner

I think I have root cause this issue, It is due to I switch off virtual memory to no paging. After I switch it back on, windows can shutdown/reboot.

Anyone with high RAM and NVME/SSD having this issue? Normally for some user, we will shut down paging if we have high RAM plus SSD.

I have other older system with the page ram 0 as well in 1809. But the old asus system with i2600k do not have such issue.

Additional issue after installing the latest display driver: From time, I will see the screen flicker black for around 0.5 sec. I strongly believe this is the display(g-unit) issue... Can intel HW team in (Oregon/India) and SW team in (India/Malaysia) have a look on the flickering issue?

Rree
Beginner

Managed to solve this shutdown issue (PageFIle off) with this workaround: Go to regedit, disable the pagefile clean (0). Done.