Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel NUC8i5beh movies jitter/lag and are without sound

Hey guys and support members

I have a problem with my Intel NUC8i5BEH

The problem occurs when I watch movies (Using VLC Player v. 3.0.6 & Cyberlink PowerDVD 18 Utra), YouTube videoes, Facebook video's (Using Mozilla Firefox Quantum v. 66.0.2 64bit & Google Chrome v. 73.0.3683.86 64bit).

After a while when watching movies via media players or video players in a browser, the video all of a sudden starts to "jitter", and what I mean by that is that the video has suddenly VERY LOW fps. It lags terribly because of the low fps and is VERY slow.

At the same time when this happens the sound cuts out. So no sound when the video is lagging/jitters.

I did find a workaround... kind of.

Every time this happens I need to go into advanced settings in Windows audio manager and choose the audio source, which in this case is my HDMI audio port, which is connected to my Denon X1400H reciever, and deactivate the audio source and then activate it again AND then restart/reload the media player/home page.

My guess is the it has something to do with the Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655 HDMI Audio.

The reason for me thinking this, is that this is not only happening when I browse video's on YouTube or Facebook. It also happens when I watch movies using VLC and PowerDVD.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and if it is the drivers/firmware from Intel, is there a driver update for the graphicscard coming soon or a firmware for the HDMI port?

I have tried two different types of HDMI cables from two different vendors, but the result is the same. Both HDMI cables are 4K 60Hz, HDR certified.

I also tried to use the same HDMI cables in my Desktop pc, which has a Nvidia Geforce 2080 installed and the problem does NOT occur at all when using my Desktop.

So I think it's safe to say that this is my Intel NUC that is the problem and I am sure that this it's the graphic card which has a driver bug or firmware bug.

So if there is anyone out there who can help, than I would appriciate it

Best Regards

PS. See attached PDF to see my specs/driver versions etc. in my NUC8i5BEH

0 Kudos
41 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

This is the page with the latest drivers for your NUC: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126148/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i5BEH exept that the Graphic driver installed on your system is the latest version of DCH driver and need not to be updated. In the DSA report you have attached, there is no details about Management Engine Driver and Chipset driver.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks, but I've already tried the drivers in the link which you shared, and it didn't help, unfortunately :)

The driver version for the Management Engine is v. 1910.12.0.1239

The driver version for the Intel Chipset Device Software is v. 10.1.15.1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Leonardo

I'll continue posting in this thread instead then :)

Regarding the last question I got, I tried connecting the NUC to just my Sony KDL-50W828B TV and it's the same problem I get.

When either watching a movie or fastforwarding the problem seems to happen periodically.

Like I wrote in the other post:

The driver version for the Management Engine is v. 1910.12.0.1239

The driver version for the Intel Chipset Device Software is v. 10.1.15.1

I still think this is a graphic audio driver issue or firmware issue, because I can work arround the problem by disabling the HDMI audio connected to either my reciever or tv and then activate it again and all is functioning normal again.

But this "workarround" gets to be pretty tideous in the long run.

So I really hope that Intel fixes this problem

Is there any hope for Intel to fix this in a later driver update?

Can I be of some assitance, using some kind of diagnostics program for video/audio for when this problem uccors? If so what is the diagnostics program called and how do I use it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Terry Bogard Thank you for the information. • Can you record a video of showing the behavior that you have? • What is the hardware setting on the Intel® NUC (RAM part number and storage devices brand and model)? • Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility • Steps to save the report: 1- Run the utility. 2- Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3- Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4- Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello again Leonardo

So I made a video, showing the problem in the beginning of the video (No sound in and lagging/low fps in YouTube movie). The middle part is about me deactivating/activating the hdmi audio to correct the problem. The last part shows the youtube movie running as i should with both sound on and at the right fps and no lagging.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Regarding the TXT file you requested, I will attach it to this message.

The TXT file should also have the information regarding my RAM and SSD model numbers, which are installed in my NUC

If you need any other information please don't hesitate to ask.

Will this be forwarded to some of the engineers at Intel?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Bogard Thank you for the information. This details would help us to look into the behavior, after looking on the SSU report I am noticing that you are currently using the Intel® graphics driver 6618 that has not been validated for the Intel® NUC, can you try using the graphics driver validated for the Intel® NUC (25.20.100.6519) and test the behavior? Download reference link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28601?product=126148 Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi again Leonardo

That is correct that I am using version 6618. But before that I had already tried the validated driver which you mention (25.20.100.6519). But this didn't help to solve the problem unfortunately.

I even tried some older drivers than the one you mention and it still didn't make any difference.

I have also tried to uninstall the drivers normally and uninstalling the drivers by using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). I have enabling disabling the Realtek Audiocard even though I don't think that, this has anything to do with the problem.

I really don't know what to make of this, but my guess is either a graphic audio driver issue, a windows 10 issue or a HDMI firmware issue.

As I mentioned earlier this is a periodically issue, which comes some times often and other times not so often. I don't know what triggers it, but watching youtube movies seem to be the thing that triggers it the most.

When the problem then occurs, and I start up a video on my harddrive, it also lags/has low fps and no sound. So I am guessing that this has nothing to do with the wifi or lan drivers/components.

I don't know much about the more technical aspect of these things, but I wonder if it has something to do with some kind of buffering issue?

But thats something for the engineers to find out :)

I really hope that this is a problem which can be resolved with a driver/bios/firmware update :D

Will this post get deleted in time, even if the problem persists?

Thank you for your help Leonardo.

I hope you will answer this post if you find a solution to this problem :)

Best regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I forgot to show what kind of HDMI cable I am using.

The first link is the first HDMI cable I used:

https://www.av-cables.dk/hdmi-kabler/hdmi-kabel-1-5-m.html

The second link is the HDMI cable which I am using now:

https://www.av-cables.dk/vinklet-hdmi-kabel/koenig-2-0-hdr-high-speed-hdmi-kabel-venstre-vinklet-2-m...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi again

I made a little mistake the last time I uloaded the TXT file, which I got from the SSU program. I remembered that I had just deactivated and re-activated the HDMI audio when I ran the SSU program and therefore there wouldn't have been any problem to report.

So today the video's startet lagging again and I ran the SSU program againg. So I hope that this TXT diagnostic shows the problem. Maybe the engineers can solve the problem by comparing the two TXT files.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Terry Bogard Thank you for the information. I would like the test the behavior on my end all this information that you have provided will help me to do so. • Please provide me whit this details: • Is the Operating system a clean install or a clone image? • Can you provided with the resolution and refresh rate on the environment? • Are you running any other task on the system? • Please provide me with the link of the video you have used on the testing Please try a clean install of the Intel® graphics driver on the system following these steps: 1- Download the latest driver validated for the Intel® NUC and save it on the computer. 2- Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 3- Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features. 4- Restart the computer. 5- Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 6- If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: a. 6.1.1 Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' b. 6.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. c. 6.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'. d. 6.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 7- Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1. 8- Restart the computer. 9- Reconnect to the Internet. Once you have completed the clean install test the behavior. BTW the threads are not deleted on the community. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi again

I just bought the NUC, which means that it is a CLEAN INSTALL

The resolution is 1920 x 1080

I've tried with both 59hertz and 60 hertz and it made no diference

I am only running Avast Antivirus scanner (Free edition). I have tried to disable the virusscanner, but the problem is still there.

Besides that I am running EkspressVPN which I tried to uninstall to see if that helped, but it didn't unfortunately.

The Intel driver and support assistent is also running in the background as well as the Samsung Magician software.

Tried diabling them both, so that they wouldn't start up when Windows start, but it still didn't help.

I tried following your instructions and used one of the validated drivers (25.20.100.6519) but the problem is unfortunately STILL there. It doesn't seem as a consumer that I can correct this problem. I really don't know what else I can do.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Terry Bogard Thank you for all the details, at this point I would like to try to replicate the behavior that you are reporting, I will be posting back as soon as news becomes available. BTW can you share with us the link of the video that you use during the example video? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leonardo.

I am not quite sure what you mean when you ask about the link for the video where I show you the problem with the NUC :)

Do you mean that I should upload the video in this thread?

Thank you for trying to replicate the problem. I somehow hope you succeed so that it proves that there are some kind of driver problem.

I noticed that when I wake the NUC from sleep (NOT start up from a cold boot) the HDMI audio doesn't allways seem to be activated, which results in no audio at all and I can't even activate or deactivate the HDMI audio because the HDMI doesn't even seem to excist. But like I said, this only happens when waking the NUC from sleep mode.

One last thing I noticed is that some times when I wake the NUC from sleep mode, the tv screen just stays black even though the reciever, TV and NUC is turned on. Why this is happening, I don't know. But the problem seemed to start when I updated the validated drivers. Again these problems are periodical, so you might have to have some patience.

Last thing. My audio configuration in the HDMI audio configuration is set to 5.1 surround, no full tone speakers (I don't have full tone speakers but i have a subwoofer) and the samplingrate is set to 24bit 192000 Hz.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Terry Bogard Thank you for the updates, I meant the YouTube video that you have used to show me the behavior so i can try with the same video, can you share that link? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leonardo

Ah got it. I have to say, that by replaying only the video clip which is shown in my example, will probably not provoke the error to be "activated". This is a random thing occuring and therefore I would advice you to look at many different youtube clip, since that would probably trigger the problem. It may take a long time and you can also try to fast forward/jump forward in the video clips, since that also seem to provoke the error to be "activated".

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Terry Bogard Thank you for the update. Can you confirm the following? • Does this behavior happen when you play the video on Window mode not on full screen? • Does this behavior happen if you test the system with the Microsoft basic display adapter? In order to so you can follow these steps: 1- Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 2- Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features. 3- Restart the computer. 4- Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 5- If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 5.1- Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 5.2- In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 5.3- Click on 'Uninstall'. 5.4- Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 6- Do not connect the system to internet and test the system with a video storage on the Intel® NUC (local video files). At the time of the behavior happening can you go to the Task manger and review the system performance tab (if possible share a picture on the system performance). Hope this helps. Please provide me with the outcome. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Leonardo

It happens both in window and fullscreen mode, when watching a video.

I followed your tutorial and tried to use the NUC with only the "Basic Display Adapter" driver "installed". I used the NUC all weekend and didn't have a single problem, but as soon as I installed the newest validated drivers again (I did this sunday evening) the problem resurfaced again.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi again

So after installing the newest validated driver I looked at the ressource manager and noticed something weird. When, in this case, a youtube videoclip starts lagging and is playing no sound, the GPU is using only 1% in its ressources. But when I initiate the work around by deactivating/activating the HDMI audio, and reload the youtube video clip again, the GPU ressource goes up to 22% . Why yhat is I don't know. But I'll leave two screenshots describing what I just wrote.

0 Kudos