Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBush
Beginner

Intel NUC8i7HVK What can I do if any BIOS Recovery methods do not help?

Jump to solution

After:

• update bios and
  • set Fast and Secure Boot and
  • install Intel Platform Keys

I had "brick": no jumper BIOS Recovery, no Power Menu help - all time black screen - no bios, no NUC splash screen. With display cables (have 2 monitors with mDP and HDMI) all fine - MacBook witness.

May Intel or somebody from you guys who has the same Hades Canyon sends me Full BIOS Dump (not patch) (I ready to lose guarantee and re-write bios on special station if Jumper method does not help again)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Let me restate some of Leon's information to be more precise:

1. Reformat your USB flash disk, on a Windows-based PC (no Linux- or MACOS-based PCs!), using the FAT32 file system (VFAT, exFAT, etc. are not 100% compatible!), with the Quick Format option disabled.
  2. Use the latest available .BIO file. This is version 0053 (HN0053.BIO; full version string HNKBLi70.86A.0053.2018.1217.1739).

If this doesn't work and you want to consider an RMA, you can use the forms service link listed above, but I cannot recommend it. It is best to contact Intel Customer Support directly using your phone. Intel has support people literally world-wide and a great many languages are supported. Use the geo-specific links below to find the closest (hopefully local) phone number for your country:

You can also try using the chat service (http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_desktop_ww_english_Chat), but understand that this is English-only and is subject to office hours (9-5 M-F) in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

20 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Disconnect the bios battery for 15 minutes. Remove the Security Jumper.
  2. Try to power ON your NUC with Security Jumper removed. Do not insert any USB key with bios file. Leave only keyboard and monitor connected. You may want also to remove the SSD.
  3. After short time (30 seconds - 60 seconds), you should see Configuration Menu.

Leon

DBush
Beginner

Thank you, Leon, that you want to help me.

Unfortunately nothing. Black screen all times.

王王13
Novice

I have encountered the same problem, no signal and nothing on the screen, in the last sunday. now i send my machine to intel to replace a new one. I have tried all the methods but no help

王王13
Novice

This maybe a bug of BIOS 5.2? I also update my BIos to 5.2, the new one. You can try to downgrade the bios version

DBush
Beginner

Recover process broken too. I tried several times more later versions. But, as I said recovery mechanism not working absolutely - always black screen - I don’t see any menu to do something. Jumper method leading to infinity at time reloading.

王王13
Novice

I think you can try to get a guarantee. It is under warranty now.

DBush
Beginner

I am at Ukraine. Here Intel does not provide it.

王王13
Novice

I think guarantee is global. You can try. The link is https://supporttickets.intel.com/servicecenter?lang=en-US . maybe this one, not sure. you can requst it now and it can express delivery by using FedEx.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @DBush​ ,

1. Please try to recover your bios again, but this time follow those steps:
  2. The USB with the bios file should be fully formatted to FAT32 in Windows (not in Linux or MAC)
  3. Insert the USB in the right front USB slot (the orange one)
  4. Power ON you NUC (with Security Jumper removed)
  5. The recovery should start automatically.

For your information, I've tried, just now this update on my NUC and it ended successfully.

Hope this will help

Leon

DBush
Beginner

Thank you, that you do it for me.

What version of bio you used?

LeonWaksman
Super User

I've recovered my bios from ver. 0051 to the latest ver. 0052.

Pay attention: use the right front USB slot (the orange one).

After this update, the NUC boot time was shortened by about 5 seconds.

Leon

DBush
Beginner

Sorry, did not help.

王王13
Novice

This issue may occur when you open the fast boot on the bios, because both DBush and me open fast boot and use the latest version. Then enter the Power Menu just with a black screen, no signal output.

n_scott_pearson

Let me restate some of Leon's information to be more precise:

1. Reformat your USB flash disk, on a Windows-based PC (no Linux- or MACOS-based PCs!), using the FAT32 file system (VFAT, exFAT, etc. are not 100% compatible!), with the Quick Format option disabled.
  2. Use the latest available .BIO file. This is version 0053 (HN0053.BIO; full version string HNKBLi70.86A.0053.2018.1217.1739).

If this doesn't work and you want to consider an RMA, you can use the forms service link listed above, but I cannot recommend it. It is best to contact Intel Customer Support directly using your phone. Intel has support people literally world-wide and a great many languages are supported. Use the geo-specific links below to find the closest (hopefully local) phone number for your country:

You can also try using the chat service (http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_desktop_ww_english_Chat), but understand that this is English-only and is subject to office hours (9-5 M-F) in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

DBush
Beginner

I formatted USB Stick at VMFussion (with Windows 10 on board) machine at my MacOS Laptop. Is it may create problems to recognize?

王王13
Novice

Russia, Ukraine and other CIS countries7 495 6428537Monday-Friday 07:00-19:00 (Moscow Time)Submit Service Request

n_scott_pearson

The first time you do this for a new USB flash disk, you need to use Windows' default formatting capability. What you are accomplishing with the disabling of Quick Formatting is a rewriting of the formatting information. We haven't figured out what it is about the bulk formatters that the flash disk vendors are using, but this step undoes whatever it is that is wrong. It is unclear to me that this will work properly with a MACOS-based laptop, even when using VMFusion. I do not know, however, because I refuse to have anything to do with PC hardware built by Apple so I have never tried this. If the NUC cannot perform a BIOS Recovery with the resulting flash disk, you will know why.

...S

JJia10
Beginner

My 2-week old NUC8i5BEK became brick today, same symptoms as yours. Did you try to disconnect the bios battery? I don't know how to access the battery, which is on the other side of the board.

DBush
Beginner

I tried CMOS reset - did not helped.

I tried to find Tech Spec document for your NUC, and find link, but it leading to 404 page.

DBush
Beginner

Thank you every body to help me. You are very responsive community!

Helped phone call to Russian branch of Intel and chat too. Then open ticked for this issue. I think and hope then I just send my NUC to office for fix or exchange to new one.