Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel NUCC 8i5BEK monitor blinking

Hello,

I have 
- Intel NUC 8i5BEK
- Dell UltraSharp U4320Q/LCD 43"

and sometimes I am getting blank screen for few seconds.

There is no running app / browser / movie at that time.

I have lastest
- windows update
- bios update
- hdmi driver update
- graphic update

It looks like this:
https://youtu.be/TuGwMOjeeXQ

Sometimes it is like few hours without blinking. But sometimes the screen is more off than on.
I tried the monitor on other computers and it works like charm.

I cant work with this. NEED HELP.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @klopotnik 

Check an other high quality video cable.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I can check.. but it doesnt make sense

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello klopotnik, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

So we can better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link

3. From the NUC to the monitor, are you using a straight connection or is there any adapter in between? Please specify the cables and adapters (if any) used, include the brand and model number if possible. 

4. Do you remember making any changes before the issue started?  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

1) attached (let me know if ok)

2) attached (let me know if ok)

3) straight connection (cannot tell you cable name, it is inserted in the wall for a year)

4) what I did.. let me explain. I had two configurations:
- computer A at work:  Intel NUC Kit 7i5BNK with Acer CB270HU monitor, using  2560 x 1440 resolution
- computer B at home: Intel NUC Kit 8i5BEK with Viewsonic VX3276-4K-mhd 3840x2160 resolution
it worked GOOD, without problem
then I bought new monitor, Dell UltraSharp U4320Q/LCD 43" .. used for some days with laptop
then I made a change .. I have connected Dell monitor to computer B and Viewsonic moved to computer A

As I checked, the same problems started on botch computers. This topic is about computer B (at home - where I work this month on and I can deliver all support from my side). 
The cable is the same like before, the resolution is the same like before. Just the monitor is new (but it worked well with laptop for few weeks).

Strange is that I had the same problems (blank screen for few seconds) also on the computer A at work, but I cannot get there for few weeks now.. so cannot generate such log report like now.

Another strange thing is, that today, there is no blinking at all on computer B (at home), and I changed nothing.

Any idea?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello klopotnik,  

Thanks for your reply. 

Based on what you are reporting, this seems to be related to the new monitor instead of the Intel® NUC8i5BEK (as you mentioned it also happens with the NUC7i5BNK). Please try the following: 

1. Install the latest driver provided by Dell* for this monitor, for assistance with the installation please check with Dell*: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/dell-u4320q-monitor/drivers  

2. Install the latest HDMI Firmware using the HDMI Firmware Update Tool for NUC8i3BE, NUC8i5BE, NUC8i7BE. 

3. How are you connecting the NUC to the monitor? Is it an HDMI or USB-C connection?   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

1. i did it last week, no success
  2. i did it last week, no success
  3. hdmi cable
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello klopotnik,   

Thank you for your reply. 

Another step that you can try is just using a USB-C connection, this is just to isolate the problem to the HDMI connection. However, if that does not work, the extra recommendation that I will give you is to contact us directly to claim a warranty for the Intel® NUC. Chances are that this one is having hardware issues. Here us our contact information https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

@Sebastian_M_Intel,

I still agree with Leon. In case after case after case, we have seen the cable be the root of the problem. Purchasing a better quality cable was regularly the right answer. Remember, two rules apply here:

1. You get what you pay for.
  2. If the cable came with the monitor, if is undoubtedly crap; throw it away and get something better.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello all,    

@n_scott_pearson, I also agree that testing a better quality cable can solve the problem, however; klopotnik mentioned they tested the same monitor/cable combination with a different PC with no issues. Anyways, you are right that the cable can be the problem here; that is why I also recommended testing a USB-C connection to isolate the problem to the HDMI connection. 

@klopotnik, were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Regards,    

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello, 

@Sebastian_M_Intel , you are right.. i changed just monitor and that moment was starting point for blinking. Even the resolution is the same. Cable was working before OK.

And about news, yesterday I temporary plugged new HDMI-HDMI cable (this cable was delivered with the monitor). Few minutes after changing the cable it blinked once but from the moment on till today no more blinking. So I will try it some more days and let you know.

Till that time I manage to buy USB-C cable. Any parameters that it should meet? 
Is it USB-C (from NUC) <==> HDMI (monitor)? or USB-C (NUC) <===> USB-C (monitor)?

Thanks for reply,
Klopotnik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @klopotnik 

So, it looks that high quality video cable it does make sense? Please, review the User Manual for you monitor.  Please refer to page 24 -25 how to connect video cable. If you are using USB Type-C connector on the NUC site, the same connector Type-C is advised on the monitor site (rather than USB-C (from NUC) <==> HDMI (monitor). To enjoy from features offered by this monitor, better read all User Manual.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello klopotnik,    

Thank you for the update. 

Regarding the USB-C cable, we recommend using a straight connection from the NUC to the monitor (with no adapters/converters). This is because we can't ensure that 3rd party adapters will work or not; in this case, you may want to use a straight USB-C to USB-C cable on both ends as your monitor supports this connector as well. 

You can use the compatibility tool for compatible/tested cables or adapters with this NUC: https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NU...  

You can also double-check with Dell* for the compatible cables from their site, the idea is to use the USB-C connector of the NUC. 

Regards,     

Sebastian M     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello..

so today i came back to work where I have computer A (7i5bnk with ViewSync) and i have the same problem here.. now I changed HDMI cable, updated bios, drivers (HDMI, Graphics) and still blinking.

So now i am not sure, if the root of the problem isnt somewhere else. The only thing i changed was monitors and then the problem started. 

and one more note.. on computer A.. there was some old Acer 27'' monitor used with lower resolution. Now I use 32'' Viewsync with 4k (this was used before on computer B without any problems)

I am lost

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello klopotnik,    

Thanks for the reply. 

We can say that we have done everything we can to solve this problem. At this point, my final recommendation is to contact us directly and check the warranty for the unit. Feel free to make a reference to this post once you contact Intel Customer Support. 

Here is our contact information https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html.   

Regards,    

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Actually @Sebastian_M_Intel, I have, unfortunately, seen a number of cases where a cable works fine with some other PC but doesn't work with the NUC.

I should have mentioned this previously: In one case, I was successful alleviating the random monitor disconnection issue (please don't call it flickering or blinking; that is an incorrect description) by changing the refresh rate from 60Hz to 59Hz. Something to try.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello klopotnik,     

Were you able to check the previous posts and see our recommendations? Please let me know if you need further assistance or if you have any updates on this.  

Regards,     

Sebastian M     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

hello.. few news:

1) the new cable was working few days OK (on computer B)

2) on computer A I  bought best cable in the world and it didint help. i tried also usb-c -> hdmi cable.. it is not disconnecting but blinking (like few times per hour) .. just fast blink and than OK for many minutes

3) yesterday i removed new cable from computer B (because i want to test on compter A).. and used old cable (where it was disconnecting all day).. and no, there is no disconnecting (this was the reason i started the thread)

So, now i will test this cable.. and let you know.

Anyway, i dont understand it at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello klopotnik,      

Thanks for the information. 

Once you have an update, please feel free to post it on this thread. 

Regards,      

Sebastian M      

0 Kudos