Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11455 Discussions

Intel NUCs with removable wireless features

AApac
New Contributor III

The recent models of Intel NUC seems to have taken a bad path of soldering the wireless features (BT, WIFI and whatelse) onto the motherboard making it hard to remove these features if you want a device with no wireless features at all.

Are there any plans from Intel to revert from this bad decision and making it again possible to make the wireless features optional rather than mandatory?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If you don't want to use the built-in WiFi and BT solution, you can (1) disconnect the antenna leads and (2) disable the feature in the BIOS.

I am retired now and thus no longer in the decision loop, but I can tell you that you are in a very small minority; the vast majority want the Intel solution built-in. I rather doubt you will see them remove the solution - but I will pass on the sentiment...

...S

AApac
New Contributor III

Unfortunately that is not good enough if you want to use the hardware in a for example physical location where wireless features are prohibited.

The only accepted solution is that the wireless features are physically removed from the device (the device itself will of course be shielded as an additional safety measurement).

I have nothing against that NUC's comes with BT/WIFI/WIDI cards included and "built in", what I am against is that these are soldered down onto the motherboard making it useless to use Intel NUC's in such enivornments where wireless features are strictly prohibited (where older NUCs could be used because you could then simply just remove the wireless cards from the device).

idata
Community Manager

Hello Apachez,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I'm sorry, at this point, that will be the only option to disable it in the BIOS, and I understand that you would like the wireless to be removable and it is understandable for the environment where you work with the units, but unfortunately right now there is no plans from Intel or any information available if Intel will be considering this option.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.

AApac
New Contributor III

There are no NUC motherboards that can be obtained as "OEM" or similar where the wireless features are physically removed on delivery?

idata
Community Manager

Hello Apachez,

I'm sorry; I know how important this can be for you but unfortunately the 7th generation NUCs only comes in a kit and with the embedded wireless card.

Regards,

Ivan U.

DCunn3
Beginner

I would like to second Apachez in expressing the need for this. We are also developing applications in a secure environment that disallows all forms of wireless. The NUC series would be ideal for our use case, but the built in wireless is a showstopper.

idata
Community Manager

fastpixel: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® NUC communities. If you need further assistance on this matter, please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:

/community/tech https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Alberto R

AApac
New Contributor III

What about fixing this for the 8th generation coming next? :-)

ASila1
Beginner

The wireless module is BGA soldered on the mainboard; not trying to be funny - but you could try de-soldering it?

With wireless becoming part of the PCH in future versions it will be impossible to get anything without wireless at all...

idata
Community Manager

BigMot: Thank you for your comments. We actually recommend to use the NUC with the default components at stock configuration, to remove the wireless card that is soldered might cause for the NUC not to work properly and besides that it will avoid the warranty. If you have any questions or if you need further assistance on this matter, please submit a new thread.

Regards,

Alberto R