Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel Nuc Screen Flickering with Windows 10

I am experiencing flickering of Windows 10 from my NUC8i7VHK wired with an HDMI cable to monitor. Other machines work stably wired with the same cable to the same monitor

Using the Device Manager, rolling back and/or updating the display adapter drivers seems to temporarily alleviate issues, but they seem to return, especially with extended system use.

From the device manager, the Windows search didn't actually seem to detect the latest versions of the two display adapters. I downloaded and installed the latest versions of the following display adapter drivers via the Intel website:

Intel HD Graphics 630 (Version: 26.20.100.7870) and

Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics Driver (date of updated 2/10/20)

After installing these updates and re-starting the system, the flickering issues are continuing to return. Any additional suggestions?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

If you have another cable, please try it.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I should have included those details. A different HDMI cable produces the same issues. Other machines do not show these issues using same cables.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

cable quality varies widely. Try a quality cable.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ACole16, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

Your inquiry was brought into our attention. Please confirm if you have been able to follow the suggestion provided by the community.

Additionally, we would appreciate if you could share the Intel® System Support Utility logs by following the next steps: 

1. Go and download the software. 
  2. When finished downloading it, open it. 
  3. Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan. 
  4. When finish scanning, click "Next." 
  5. Click on Save and attach the file to your post. 

Feel free to reply if any additional assistance is required. 

Best Regards, 

Daisy J. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

I have tried a second cable, as suggested by the community member, but the problem persisted. I am unsure of the quality of each of the cables.

The two cables connected to different CPUs with the same display device have stable displays, however.

I have attached the utility log file here.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ACole16,

Thank you for your response. 

Please confirm if you have tried different HDMI ports or connecting the display using the USB-C/DP.

We understand that you already updated the drivers before. Please try performing a clean installation of the drivers for your Intel NUC system following these steps:

A. Uninstall the Radeon® RX Vega M Graphics driver

1. In the Control Panel select Programs and Features.

2. Select AMD Software and then click Uninstall.

3. Click Yes when prompted, "Are you sure you want to uninstall the AMD driver?"

4. The uninstall process will begin removing drivers and software components. Note: The screen may go black intermittently during the uninstall process and may last for up to 10 minutes.

5. Once the uninstall finishes, the software should provide options to Restart Now or Close. Select Restart Now to complete the uninstall process.

Note: A system restart is required to complete the uninstallation process. Before restarting please save and exit out of any open applications.

2. Uninstall the Intel® HD Graphics Driver

1. Download the driver for the NUC and save it on your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29231/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-N...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28600/Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-b...

2. Disconnect the unit from the Internet.

3. Uninstall any existing DCH Graphics driver via Start > Settings > Apps & Features.

4. Uninstall the (DCH) Intel® Graphics Control Panel via Start > Settings > Apps & Features.

5. Restart the computer.

6. In Device Manager > Right-click on "Intel⯰ HD Graphics".

If "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" is already listed skip to step#10.

7. Select "Uninstall device".

8. Enable the option "Delete the driver software for this device" and click "Uninstall".

9. Restart the computer.

This should delete any non-DCH driver stored on Windows driver repository. Repeat steps #6 through #9 until "Intel® HD Graphics" changes to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

10. Install the DCH driver downloaded in step #1 and the Radeon® RX Vega M Graphics driver.

11. Restart the computer.

12. Reconnect to the Internet.

Feel free to reply if any additional assistance is required.

Best Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ACole16,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ACole16,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Daisy,

I have tried multiple HDMI ports on the monitor, but only single HDMI port on the Nuc. I have not tried any of the other display output ports from the computer and do not currently have the cables.

I followed steps 1-5 to "Uninstall the Radeon® RX Vega M Graphics driver" successfully.

For the instructions to "Uninstall the Intel® HD Graphics Driver" I got to steps #3-6 before running into some issues. For step 3, after navigating to 'Start > Settings > Apps & Features' I did not find anything exactly matching 'DCH Graphics driver' or '(DCH) Intel® Graphics Control Panel'. Instead, I uninstalled two thing most closely matching those descriptions:

'Intel Graphics Driver'

'Intel Graphics Command Center' (see attached picture)

I followed the rest of the directions as described.

The display has seemed more stable for a period of time, but has begun flickering again.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ACole16,

As an additional step, please complete the clean installation process one more time and try to install this Radeon driver instead and share with us the outcome. 

Please provide us with the Intel® System Support Utility logs once the update has been completed.

Best regards,

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ACole16,

Please confirm if you have been able to complete the suggestions in the previous post.  

Best Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ACole16,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Daisy,

After a period of relatively stable performance (about 1 week) following the first re-installation of the two drivers - the flickering began to return more frequently. As this point, I repeated the clean installation substituting the alternative Radeon driver. This was performed about 24 hours ago, but has not dramatically improved things. I have attached the recent system scan file.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ACole16,

We will try to replicate this behavior and post back in this thread to share our findings. 

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ACole16,

The monitor and Intel Control Graphics Panel need to have the same resolution and refresh rate as the native mode. Sometimes the flickering happens when using an unsupported resolution or refresh rate VS monitor or TV settings. 

We noticed that according to the report provided the resolution is set as 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (59Hz). Please try both resolutions suggested below and let us know the system behavior.

• Please set the resolution to the Native Mode: 3840 x 2160(p) (60Hz)
  • Please try the same resolution with the refresh rate at 24Hz.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ACole16,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ACole16,

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos