cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel Nuc Sound card drivers

I have 300 nucs, and we have just upgraded from windows 10 1505 to 1909,

Everything appeared to be fine, 1 out of my 4 test nucs, had this strange issue where by the sound just stop working every now and then i would reinstall the driver and it would work fine, This then became a once a day issue, and i re imaged the nuc again and it went away and has not done it since, but now i have re imaged about 80 of my 300 nucs, a growing number are doing the same thing, after doing some testing, / driver updating, if i use the intel site to update my nucs it puts a legacy realtek driver on from 2016 and they work fine, until windows decides to update the drivers and puts an Microsoft one on from last year and the sound stops working again, strangely thou the rest of the nucs are using this same driver fine (the ms one from 2019, images of the 2 drivers attached.).

Any ideas what's causing this, i have checked the mother board/ build on two nucs one that has never had it and one that has and they are both the same, This in a school so all of pcs need sound as they are all used for presentations all day.

We are using sccm and the company who does our support has said that we could turn of updates, but then they would get no patches or any thing on them nucs, but it seems to be a growing number and i want them security patched and update.

Intel NUC

BIOS

Version

BIOS Date: 04/09/16 12:46:28 Ver: 05.0000B

Date

4/9/2016

Motherboard

Manufacturer

Intel corporation

Model

NUC6i5SYB

Version

H81131-503

Operating System

Edition

Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit)

Version (Build)

1909 (10.0.18363)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Hello DogPack,    

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I need to inform you that due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help.  

I would like to share with you the Discontinued Products website hopefully you will find it helpful to address your concern.   

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @DogPack 

1. It is not clear to me why are you upgrading NUCs to old version 1909, while today we have version 20H2 released?

2. According to your post the BIOS is dated 04/09/16 12:46:28 Ver: 05.0000B. Probably the correct BIOS version you have is 0042. This is very old BIOS.  Since version 0042, 18 BIOS versions was released.  The last version is BIOS version 0073

3. The last Realtek Audio Driver is version Version: 6.0.1.7982  Date: 1/6/2017

4. BTW, you can prevent Windows to update the specific driver  or prevent automatic driver update.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Are these systems using HDMI or DisplayPort monitors? If so, why are you not outputting sound via these monitors? Do you really need the RealTek Audio Driver?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Because they are connected to amps, with in ceiling speakers, not a tv, we have ultra short throw projectors, and in wall amps, with embedded speakers in the ceiling, not tvs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Because the new image was made in Feb if not earlier,  but the entire country then shut down and we have only come back to it in august, Not sure the bios version really matters in this situation, but thanks for the links i will have a go at this one, as it prob best fits our situation,

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers...

0 Kudos