cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EHam1
Beginner

Intel Nuc8i5BEH External DVD Writer/Reader compatability

Hi all,

Bought the NUC, really like it....only thing i wish is that I cannot get a USB plugged-n drive to be recognized.

I have Ubuntu and LinuxMint and Debian loaded on partitions on the internal NVME drive, the NUC boots beautifully, grub gives me all the choices, but none of the Linux OSes will recognize any of the external USB-powered USB DVD writer/readers I own.

Here's the thing: I know the DVD writer are functional, because they work on every other machine (laptops, desktops, personal builds) I have in the house, all with Linux loaded.

Furthermore, in frustration, I pulled the NVME out of the Intel NUC, loaded it into an external NVME case, booted the NVME on many of my other machines, and suddenly the USB DVD writer/readers work.

So, someone please tell me: how is this not a NUC BIOS issue?

I am updated to (using F7) to the latest BIOS. In Devices tab > USB, both USB Legacy and ACHI are checked. In Boot> Boot Priority> I have tried all combinations of UEFI & Legacy enabled & disabled. In Boot tab> Boot Config> I have tried both "uncheck" and "checked" Boot USB Devices first.

I am at a loss here. Could anyone point me in the right direction. There's no way three different USB external DVD writer/readers----that work everywhere else, on other machines, with the same NVME plugged in, won't work with the NVME put back in the NUC.

Thank you for any help and/or pointers to try. (we watch tons of movies rented from the library, all of which come DVD, so I need a writer and assumed the NUCs would have no problem with external DVD writers.

Oh, before anyone says try "Windows", I even downloaded and installed Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation (loaded on a SSD and installed in the NUC), and Windows would not recognize the DVD writers on the NUC. Yet I walk upstairs to my wife's Wndows 10 work laptop, and every external USB drive was immediately recognized by Windows.

What is going on with the Intel BIOS that I can rectify this??

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

My BE is running on BIOS 56. I have 8GB DRAM installed. I have Windows 10 Pro x64 1809 booting from a 240GB Toshiba/OCZ RD400 M.2 NVMe SSD. I plugged in a TSSTcorp SE-S084 DVD burner via (yellow) USB 3.0 Charging port and it was immediately recognized and usable. I ran test with BIOS reset to default configuration.

Based upon my success, I would say that this doesn't seem to be a BIOS issue. Sometimes, reinstalling the BIOS using the jumper-based BIOS Recovery process will correct voodoo issues like this.

What NVMe drive are you using? What DVD drives did you try? What SODIMM(s) do you have installed? Please provide part numbers, not descriptions (they are usually useless).

Hope this helps,

...S

EHam1
Beginner

Hi Scott,

I'm on BIOS 56 (BECFL357.86A.0056) too.

16GB (2x8GB) DDR-2400 1.2V CL17 Crucial (CT2K8G4SFS824A) memory, which is/was tested & verified (brand new, but also tested in another laptop, to make sure).

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC4-19200-SODIMM-260-Pin-Memory/dp/B01BIWMWVS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronic...

MP300 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen.3 x2 SSD (brand new, but also tested in an external NVMe enclosure, and in a recent laptop I own)

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-FORCE-MP300-480GB-Storage/dp/B07D9C2WPV/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=U...

External DVD drives I own:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-DW316-External-Optical-429-AAUX/dp/B00VWVZ0V0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=154...

https://www.amazon.com/Rioddas-External-Portable-Rewriter-Superdrive/dp/B07DLRG9VH/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF...

https://www.amazon.com/Updated-DATARAM-External-Portable-Transfer/dp/B07KGR8ZKN/ref=pd_day0_hl_147_4...

Searching the forum, I had found other threads of yours (thanks for the work you put in here on the forum) where I first took the NUC back apart, removed the memory and NVMe, left the unit (unplugged) over night, and then re-assembled it this morning. Tried three tests:

Left the NVMe out, re-installed the memory, installed a blank SSD (Kingston 120GB SSDNow 300) in the SSD slot, and installed Windows 10 Enterprise on it fresh from a new Windows Install USB. After Win10 Enterprise was installed, with a few restarts and Windows updating itself, I tried each of the above DVD writers/players. Again, nothing, not one recognized. The one that really gets me is the last two, as they work on any Linux and MSFT machines we have in the house because they need no special drivers installed to work.

So, next I tried (with an ADATA SSD SU800) the above with Ubuntu, then with Fedora, then LinuxMint, and the exact same thing....none of the DVD drives are recognized no matter which USB port I try them in on the NUC (even tried the USB 3.1 Type C port, since I have a dock Type C adapter I can use.

And, lastly, just an hour ago, I did the jumper-based BIOS Recovery process I found explained in the forum here. Got the NUC all back together, first tried the MSFT Kingston SSD again, then tried the ADATA Linux, and lastly re-tried the NVMe with Linux on it. All, no joy. Nothing changed. All USB DVD writers/players not recognized no matter than all NUC ports were tried.

So, (thankfully) I saved all the NUC packaging and can see no other recourse than to package it up and send it back to Amazon. As I mentioned, we rent/or get, a lot of movies from our library on the military base here, which I then rip using Handbrake, so we can watch the on our somewhat old (2005) Panasonic tv upstairs with a laptop hooked to it (that doesn't have an internal DVD writer/player).

I bought this NUC for this handbraking purpose specifically and as my new desktop, but if three different (known to work) DVD writers/players don't work or aren't recognized in any of the NUC ports, no matter if in a full widows install and/or Linux install, then it has to go back.

It's unfortunate. Otherwise, the NUC seems a great machine. To me this is the future, as it will get even smaller as decades go by.

If, Scott, you have any other tips you can think of (I held out hope it was just some setting in the BIOS, but since I am pretty proficient around BIOS/UEFI/ and MSFT setups, I wasn't sure if Intel had just decided optical USB attached drives are no longer going to be recognized)....anyhow, if you have any other thoughts and/or tips, would greatly appreciate it/them.

I can't send this back till Monday, so I have two more days to try things. Just not sure what to try now. Would installing the Puppy Linux OSes that I build work? Haha, if that is the case, Intel has some serious problems ;-)

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello EHam1, Thank you for your feedback. It is highly appreciated. We would like to know if you are still experiencing the issue reported on this thread. We read that you were about to send the unit back. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
KMile2
Beginner

I have the same model NUC and also cannot get my USB DVD Writer working either. I am using Windows 10 Pro (64bit)

Works fine in my laptop.

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello KMile2, In order to troubleshoot this issue, please try the following steps: A. Load default BIOS values 1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup. 2. Press F9 to set defaults. 3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS. B. After loading default settings, please go into BIOS again and check if the USB DVD writer is detected. If the issue persists, please provide this information: 1. Model/Brand and part number of the USB DVD writer. 2. Run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread to gather more information (Memory, SSD, etc) 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91... 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
n_scott_pearson

There's a Linux version of the tool as well.

...S

n_scott_pearson

BTW, there is a test you can do to check whether the BIOS is involved in the issue. Go into BIOS Setup and enable Fast Boot. When Fast Boot is enabled, the BIOS does not initialize USB at all. As a result, all initialization of USB will come from the O/S being booted. If the DVD drives continue to fail, then it is most definitely *not* the BIOS' fault!

...S