Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11985 Discussions

Intel Nuc8i5BEH4 with Raid 1?

ZWarw
Beginner

Hi all,

This has been doing my head in for the last week.

Long story short, I bought this model Nuc and can’t get Raid 1 working on it.

I have a 240GB M.2 Nvme ssd and a 250gb Sata 3 SSD installed in the unit.

Is it even possible to do on this Nuc model?

i’ve seen a similar forum post where a member stated it needs to be a M.2 Sata instead of a NVME.

If anyone can help that would be great.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

RAID can only be used with like devices. That is, you must have two M.2 NVMe SSDs or two SATA SSDs/HDDs. On your NUC model, you can use RAID if you have a M.2 SATA SSD and a 2.5" SATA SSD, but that's it. Only on NUCs with two Type-M M.2 sockets (i.e. Skull and Hades Canyon), can you use RAID with two M.2 NVMe SSDs.

H​ope this helps,

...S

ZWarw
Beginner
Great well that’s made me somewhat confident to swap out the M.2 NVME with a M.2 Sata and try setting up raid again. I’ve ordered a new M.2 Sata and will test when it arrives. Fingers crossed
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Ok, if that's what you want. I have to ask, however: Why would you be willing to give up all of that performance potential just so you can use RAID? If you are considering RAID1 to be a backup solution, don't; it's certainly not. Do backups on a regular basis to an external USB-based, HDD.

Just saying,

...S

ZWarw
Beginner
It’s for a friend who is insisting on having 2 drives running in raid 1 for drive redundancy. She also uses an external backup solution on top of that, so I’m okay with her request. I know she is going to lose speed by moving away from a M.2 NVME but she insists on having it setup this way.