Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12539 Discussions

Intel nuc7i5BNH and HDMI KVM (not working)

MarinoV8
Beginner

Good evening,

I'm using my Christmas vacation to cleanup and improve my workspace.   I've had a small VMware homelab running on 5 intel nuc (3x Nuc7i5BNH, 1x Nuc8i5BEH and 1x NUC11PAHi5) and I use a NUC10i7FNH (with an eGPU) as my desktop PC

I've recently bought 2 Tendak  "4K HDMI 4 in 1" KVM boxes, and I ran into the following problem:

1 Tendak KVM connects the 3 Nuc7i5BN's and the Nuc8i5BEH to the HDMI2 connection on my Monitor (Samsung UL28R55uqrxen), the only NUC that displays through the  KVM box is the Nuc

The 3 NUC7i5BNH refuse to display image on my montor when connected to the Tendak box.   When connected directly to the monitor, using the same cable that is otherwise used to to connect to the KVM, it works perfectly

On the other Tendak I have connected the Nuc10i7FNH and the NUC11PAHi5, and everythings works perfectly (they connect to my other Samsung LU28R55 monitor).  The Nuc10i7 connects through it's onboard HDMI port to the kvm and the my first monitor (HDMI 1),  and it connects to the second monitor with the eGPU on the thunderbolt port (no kvm there)

All Nucs, except the Nuc10i7 which is running windows 11, are running VMware ESXi.

I am looking for a solution and or reason why the older nucs (the Nuc7) refuse to display an image through the KVM.  It's not related to the fact that it's running vSphere, because it also won't show the bios .   the status led on the KVM indicate that there is an hdmi link present

Any advice is welcome!

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards

Marino

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MarinoV8
Beginner

I got it working,  I don't really understand how.

I connected the tendak that had all 4 nuc running esxi (3xnuc7 and 1 nuc8) to a spare LG monitor.  After cutting power to them, they will now work with the Tendak KVM switch.

I suppose the Samsung monitors don't really like getting inputs and HDMi1 and HDMI2...

Anyway, problem solved

Thank you all

Best wishes for 2023

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I have a NUC7i7BNKQ on a TESmart 4k 8-port , along with 3 other nucs and two desktops, all working fine.

KVM switches can be troublesome.  If not the hdmi cables, then the switch itself is the problem.

I have also used a Bytecc-Zagall 4x1 USB HDMI KVM, with the same nucs, and it works fine.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

MarinoV8
Beginner

I got it working,  I don't really understand how.

I connected the tendak that had all 4 nuc running esxi (3xnuc7 and 1 nuc8) to a spare LG monitor.  After cutting power to them, they will now work with the Tendak KVM switch.

I suppose the Samsung monitors don't really like getting inputs and HDMi1 and HDMI2...

Anyway, problem solved

Thank you all

Best wishes for 2023

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I have run into this problem before - and I don't think it has anything to do with it being a Samsung monitor (I have used Samsung TV successfully). In my case, I found that it was the KVM itself that needed the reset. This means powering everything off and on to recover (since KVM can get power from USB connections to the NUCs and thus will not reset until this power is removed), so your power cycling to connect the LG monitor may have been the more important thing. Try going back to the Samsung monitor.

...S