cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

IntelNUC shut down randomly

Hello,

I have NUC 8109U BOXNUC8I3BEK and recently the computer started to shut down randomly.

I have the latest drivers updates including the last BIOS version 0078.

I tried to run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and the computer shut down when it arrives to "Prime Number" test.

someone knows what causing the issue? is that operation system issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Can you please monitor what are the CPU temperature during load? You may use the HWiNFO64 (sensor part) to monitor the temperatures.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Leon - thank you for replaying.

I download the app and ran it.

at the beginning of the test I used https://silver.urih.com/ site to stress my CPU and the temp raised to 84 deg' max.

but the average was 52 deg..

pic.PNG

Please see the attached log.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. The temperatures are range, so I don't see that you have an overheating problem.
  2. Are you using the latest Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool Version: 4.1.4.36 ?
  3. Please download Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan, save the results and using the "paperclip", please attach the file with the results to your post.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes, I'm using the latest version of  Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool Version: 4.1.4.36 .

please see the attached results from SSU software.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. Please download and install the latest Bluetooth Driver Version: 21.50.0
  2. If you didn't yet, please update the HDMI firmware, using HDMI Firmware Update Tool
  3. Please install the Intel Driver & Support Utility and check if there are other drivers to be updated.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

1. Done.
  2. Done - HDMI Upgraded from 1.73 to 1.77.
  3. Already installed - I checked again, and it's saying that all my drivers and BIOS are updated.

all the steps were done but issue still exist.

My indication of knowing if the problem still exists is to run IPDT, and if it's still shut down my NUC during the "Prime number" test, it's mean that my issue still exists. I also have security camera software that worked before, and when I'm lunching the software, it's shutting down the NUC.

BTW, I update my BIOS version just recently... maybe it's BIOS version bug or something with my OS?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. Did not read any complains about this Bios version. However I would try to update Bios again (to be on safe side), using Bios Recovery from Power Button Menu method. The Bios recovery is more thorough method than update from windows or F7 key:
  2. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BE0078.bio on this stick and insert it into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF). You may use also one of the rear USB ports (do not use front blue USB port, since sometime the USB stick is not recognized during boot process).
  3. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.
  4. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
  5. When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.
  6. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
  7. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  8. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
  9. If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings. 
  10. In addition to Bios recovery and in order to verify that there is no some corruption in Windows installation, Repair your Windows with An in Place Upgrade. You will not loose any data or any program, performing this procedure. Use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (starting in Step 6).

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leon,

I update my BIOS via Bios Recovery  - issue was still exist.

I also formatted my NUC now to Windows 10 and removed everything - a fresh windows installation from USB, I let the Windows to finished download and installed all the updates (including drivers) - and the issue still exist.

I think it's an hardware failure with my CPU or i don't know maybe one of the memory slots/motherboard? the thing that this NUC is very new and almost i didn't turn it on. I still have warranty and i will tell them to check the IPDT by them self and see that the test crashed during "Prime number".

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

You are right. Looks like a hardware failure. Replace this NUC.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you Leon for all the support!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello again Leon, is there any way to downgrade my bios version?

I would to go one version back

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Sure you can downgrade your Bios to the previous version. Please use exactly the same Bios Recovery from Power Button Menu (as described in my post above), except that use BE0077.bio instead of BE0078.bio

Leon

0 Kudos