Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12118 Discussions

Intelnuc7i3bnh power button foam has been damaged!

HaiPhan
Novice
My nuc had been working flawlessly since August!
When the Covid hit us, i had to work from home and my Nuc had to update to newer version.
Intel Assistance and tools were requesting me to update Bios and my Nuc had died after that. Contacting intel but sadly nothing goes well so i have to do it myself.

The foam attached between power button and motherboard has been damaged ( i did not touch anything inside before).
Can anyone guide me alternative way to power it up?. Everything is fine (power cord, ram, ssd, motherboard)….
0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I hate to say it, but your best bet is to find a used, perhaps not working, unit and move your board into this unit's chassis. 

...S

HaiPhan
Novice

Yeah Scott!

Thank you for replying my question. I have accepted the truth that my Nuc had become a brick; however, i will try all the solution to fix it before i give someone for parts. This version has discontinued so it is very hard to replace, though.

If you dont really mind, let me ask you a question about power button of Nucs. Most of my friends have problems with power buttons from Intel Nuc, is it common issue or just a rumor?

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

Now I'm afraid to turn mine off.  Maybe I should sleep it and reboot electronically, so I don't have to hit the switch?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @HaiPhan 

Since your NUC failed after BIOS update, probably this update was corrupted, rather than failure in switch. In addition this conductive foam, near the switch doesn't affects switch functionality. Any way, you always may to spray over the switch some amount of contact cleaner (this is only an example). The switch is not hermetically sealed, so the solvent will penetrate to the contacts after few minutes.

I'm suggesting that you may try to update BIOS again, but this time, use BIOS Recovery from the Power Button Menu method:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BN0085.bio on this stick and insert it into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF). You may use also one of the rear USB ports (do not use front blue USB port, since sometime the USB stick is not recognized during boot process).
2. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.
3. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.
Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
4. While you see the Intel NUC logo, enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
5. If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings. 
Leon

HaiPhan
Novice
Hi Leon.
I am very appreciate your help. I cant turn it on unfortunately. The blue light is not lighting up. It is only the green light on the motherboard when i plug the power cord in. I will clean the button like you said. Do you think i should change the Cmos battery?
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @HaiPhan 

1. Disconnecting the Power Adapter and the CMOS Battery connector and reconnecting it after 10-15 minutes is worthy to try. However, in order to do this, you need to remove the board form the NUC case (the battery and the connector are located on the board upper side). Pleas see fig.1, page 17 in the Technical Product Specification).  I don't have tutorial for your NUC, but this tutorial, may help you to understand how to remove the board. (here is an other one).

2. Once the board is out from the case, and the battery is reset, try to power on with minimum hardware configuration: do not install the SSD, only one SODIMM is enough. Connect the HDMI cable and the Power Adapter and press the Power Switch.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

All rumor AFAIK. The button on the BN chassis should not fail in normal usage, but I have seen a couple of cases where the button was physically damaged during the process of removing the board from the chassis (i.e., someone being not careful enough).

I didn't say give; I said look for replacement chassis in sales of used/scrap parts. eBay seems to have stuff like this offered regularly, I might start there...

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

I know cases (in this forum) of failed Power Switch in NUC SY. It happened to me also in NUC6i5SYH. The contacts where oxidized and after cleaning with Contact Cleaning Lubricant, the switch is working again, four years more. An example you can see on this video clip (at 7:55), however, in this case, since it failed as result of BIOS update, it is probably not the case of failed switch.

Leon

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

So is shutting down every night and pushing the switch to restart the next day too much wear and tear on the switch?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @ClariceStarling 

Do not worry about Power Switch. It happened to me once in old NUC. I believe that in new products this problem was solved. I have few other NUCs and never got problem with Power Switch. 

Leon

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

@LeonWaksman 

Good to know ... you convinced me a computer does run better if one reboots everyday, so might as well shut down at night!

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @HaiPhan 

One thing more. If you suspect failure in the Power Switch, you may replace its function by momentary short between pins 6-8 on the Front Panel Header (Item 'A', on page 44, in the Technical Product Specification. Read the explanation in para. 2.2.4.4, page 49 and 2.2.4.4.4, page 50.

Leon

HaiPhan
Novice

243818353_158384956497934_256399576351176067_n.jpg

As i can see the motherboard has lighten up but no power on USB port and unable to turn it on

AlHill
Super User

Or time for worthless posts.   Next time, provide some data to support your assertion.   Fact is that Intel provides far more support and warranty than HP ever will.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]