cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Internet stops working after some time randomly

Hi,

I have NUC7i5BNH, which I purchased few months ago. I installed 8 GB Crucial DDR-4, 1TB HDD and Windows 10 Fall Edition (1709). Was working flawlessly up untill recently. I am not sure if it was caused by upgrade of NUC drivers or via Windows update which is set to automatic mode.

I have installed manually several updates for my NUC using Intel Update tool - BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A], Intel Management Engine components 11.8.50.3426, Software Guard Extensions 1.8.106.40803. Later I saw updated drivers for ethernet and video graphics driver, I tried them thinking that they could solve my problem.

The problem which I started to experience was that after some time after windows is booted internet stopped working even though NUC was connected to router with gigabit LAN and I could access internet on other devices connected to the same router.

Windows statuswas showing INTERNET ACCESS, but non of the browsers could open any site. Ony rebooting helped, but temporary.

I tried as sugested others to switch off ENERGY SAVING options on Ethernet driver, disable TCP/IP 6 protocol, flushin network sockets and hard network reset, deleting the network adapter and rebooting - none worked. Even with new ethernet driver 22.9 the problem was still there.

I don't know what to do next, I cannot simply reboot every time it stops.

Looking forward to your reply,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Are you using some kind of antivirus software? If yes try to disable it.

Leon

idata
Community Manager

does built-in windows defender count as antivirus? I have an antivirus software + full fledged firewall (Kaspersky) on my laptop witht he same windows 10 Fall Edition (1709) - working fine, with no drops in internet.

I already disabled windows firewall just in case.

I ran the following commands

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off

Also I noticed that after internet disappears in my nuc, nuc becomes inaccessible in my NETWORK (I cannot open shared folders from my laptop), but I also have setup HOMEGROUP, and even though network is down on nuc, I can still open shared folders from HOMEGROUP.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Just for test, can you disable your antivirus software only to check if this software is not blocking your internet?

Leon

idata
Community Manager

well I disabled windows defender, windows firewall, tcp/ip6, power saving options for all network adapters (both LAN and Wireless),

I also disabled HOMEGROUPs on all computers, now it looks like that probably HOMEGROUP was the cause of the problem.

NUC is now lasting longer on internet connection. I need some more time to confirm this (there were frequent power cut-off in my area, which might also affected connectivity)

idata
Community Manager

disabling HOMEGROUP did not help.

Looks like the problem is in DNS server, will try to set it manually to Google DNS servers

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. What you thing about disabling in BIOS and/or uninstalling Intel SGX driver?

2. Is your chipset driver updated?

Leon

idata
Community Manager

well I installed all drivers from Intel website for my NUC and updated with new ones, so chipset should be in that list

About BIOS could you pinpoint where in the menu I should look for such options to be disabled, as I am lost in such new BIOS menu.

What is SGX driver and what will I lose with uninstalling it?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Intel SGX is an acronym for Intel Security Guard Extension technology. It is software library enabling software application developers to protect code in isolated parts of memory. Better and more adequate explanation you will find here:https://software.intel.com/en-us/sgx Intel SGX Homepage | Intel® Software .

The Intel SGX can be enabled or disabled in BIOS: Advanced -> Security -> Intel Software Guard Extension (SGX)

I'm not using the Intel Driver & Support Intel Assistant to install my drivers (since I think is not reliable enough yet), rather I'm installing my driver manually, after downloading from Intel site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95067/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i5BNH Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNH .

If you are not sure that Chipset driver is installed, download it and install again.

I'm advising you to uninstall/disable the Intel SGX, since to much protection can be cause to Internet disconnection. Any way you can try this, and if doesn't help you can reinstall this driver if you want this future.

Leon

idata
Community Manager

Thanks, will sure try disabling SGX in BIOS. Will report if it did helped to my problem. (Some update: I did inputed Google DNS servers into wifi router and assigned permanent internal ip address for nuc in the router settings - now internet connection lasts much longer, but problem still exhibits somehow after sometime)

I did downloaded drivers manually from the same Intel website, so chipset driver I sure did installed (actually it was the first driver I installed after installing windows)

TKueterman
Beginner

​idata are you still having this issue? We started seeing this on WIN 10 NUC's and desktops that had Intel 1219-V NIC cards/drivers late 2018. We also have HP WIN 10 laptops but these have Intel 1219-LM cards/drivers they do not exhibit this issue. Did disabling the SGX in BIOS resolve your issue? I've tried many of the same fixes you listed previously for network troubleshooting problem would continue. Intermittent, but frequent. However our latest fix from our managed service provider was to update the host table to insert MSFTNCSI dns address that seem to working for the last few weeks. Thanks for your help.