Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JNorm2
Novice

Is a NUC8i7HVK capable of linux boot from a Thunderbolt 3 JBOD

I am thinking about getting a NUC8i7HVK. There are a few capabilities that are a must..

Is a NUC8i7HVK capable of booting linux from a Thunderbolt 3 JBOD ?

Is the VEGA M issues on Linux resolved ? I read when running intensive OpenCL or OpenGL apps the GPU will heat up and throttle down.

I modified my Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver) that runs off my MacPro 2013 Black Can desktop with the latest 4.18.3 kernel, amdgpu firmware (included vegam support)

latest Mesa 18.3.0-devel, OpenGL 4.4. I plan on selling my MacPro. I migrated off MacOS when Apple started to dumb the Operating System down. When you compare

the performance specs of the NUC8i7HVK to the MacPro 6,1 .. the Hades Canyon does not look too shabby. Overall I expect my multi core code to be a little slower but the

GPU may balance everything out, but my Thunderbolt 3 will no longer need the Thunderbolt adapter on it and run at full speed, The VegaM graphics will be faster than the

AMD/Apple D700. I think it's will balance out and possibly the NUC8i7HVK will be slightly faster.

I've been following the Debian/Ubuntu forums. It appears full functionality is getting close. Have any of you on the Forums tried this yet ?

Message was edited by: Al Hill - inappropriate language removed.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello jerryn,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that you would like to know if Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HVK is capable of booting from a Thunderbolt 3 JBOD. I would like to assist you with this.

First, we would like to know which Radeon™ RX Vega M GH graphics issues you are referring to and if you plan on installing Ubuntu 18.04, 4.18.3 kernel, on the Intel® NUC. I this way, we can address your inquiry as soon as possible.

Wanner G.
JNorm2
Novice

Radeon™ RX Vega M GH graphics issues on Linux and Windows is running hot and throttling down when running at 2K and 4K resolutions.

I am running Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (18.04) on my MacPro 2013 trash can. I am using the amdgpu kernel driver. The updated driver finally detects the D700 properly. It's the Tahiti chipset but has 6GB Video Ram per card. I updated to kernel 4.18.3-041803-generic , grabbed the latest linux-firmware from Github, built an updated initrd that includes the VegaM firmware. If the NUC817HVK can boot from thunderbolt I should be able to detatch my JBOD from my mac and boot Ubuntu 18.04

Have you tested the wifi, NICS, audio, and all the ports under Linux ? Also what chipset is used for the Thunderbolt 3 interface ? Is it Alpine Ridge ? If it's Alpine Ridge, it will be possible to make a high performance Hacintosh iMac.

Is it capable of interfacing with a GPU ? I have a Nvidia GTX970 in an Akito thunderbolt 3 box. I also drive a 27" 2k monitor and a Apple Computer LCD panel display that I built out of a 12" Ipad display panel and mini dv interface that I picked up from ADA fruit, installed it in a deep black picture frame.. hanging in the wall.

Will the i7-8809G perform comprably to:

jerryn@bart-linux:/proc$ lscpu

Architecture: x86_64

CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit

Byte Order: Little Endian

CPU(s): 12

On-line CPU(s) list: 0-11

Thread(s) per core: 2

Core(s) per socket: 6

Socket(s): 1

NUMA node(s): 1

Vendor ID: GenuineIntel

CPU family: 6

Model: 62

Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v2 @ 3.50GHz

Stepping: 4

CPU MHz: 1200.060

CPU max MHz: 3900.0000

CPU min MHz: 1200.0000

BogoMIPS: 6999.63

Virtualization: VT-x

L1d cache: 32K

L1i cache: 32K

L2 cache: 256K

L3 cache: 12288K

NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-11

Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cpuid_fault epb pti ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts

Can you boot up Ubuntu 18.04 and send me the report from lscpu ?

And glxinfo ? I would be interested in the section entitiled Extended renderer info:

Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):

Vendor: X.Org (0x1002)

Device: AMD TAHITI (DRM 2.50.0, 4.18.3-041803-generic, LLVM 6.0.1) (0x6798)

Version: 18.3.0

Accelerated: yes

Video memory: 6144MB

Unified memory: no

Preferred profile: core (0x1)

Max core profile version: 4.5

Max compat profile version: 4.4

Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1

Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2

Memory info (GL_ATI_meminfo):

VBO free memory - total: 157 MB, largest block: 157 MB

VBO free aux. memory - total: 1371 MB, largest block: 1371 MB

Texture free memory - total: 157 MB, largest block: 157 MB

Texture free aux. memory - total: 1371 MB, largest block: 1371 MB

Renderbuffer free memory - total: 157 MB, largest block: 157 MB

Renderbuffer free aux. memory - total: 1371 MB, largest block: 1371 MB

Memory info (GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info):

Dedicated video memory: 6144 MB

Total available memory: 8187 MB

Currently available dedicated video memory: 157 MB

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org

OpenGL renderer string: AMD TAHITI (DRM 2.50.0, 4.18.3-041803-generic, LLVM 6.0.1)

OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.3.0-devel

OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50

OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)

Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hello jerryn,

In order to provide more information about these issues, we will do further research. We will get back to you soon.

Wanner G.
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi jerryn,

We provide limited support for Linux*, unfortunately we dont validate Linux operating systems on NUCs neither provide drivers, however we know it works and drivers can be obtained from various sources and you can make it fully functional but again validation and support is limited.

Here is the list of validated operating systems for your reference: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/mini-pcs.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products

Linux support reference is also available here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005499/mini-pcs.html Linux* Support for Intel® NUC

Now, if you go the BIOS, go under Boot>Boot Configuration>Boot Devices. There are a couple of options that may be useful: Thunderbolt USB Boot and Thunderbolt Boot.

I don't have a Thunderbolt JBOD for testing so I cant help you with that but I hope some other community member may be able to provide you with their own experience.

Regards,

Ronny G