Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMala5
Beginner

Is anyone having problems with bluetooth on startup on Skull Canyon?

I have an Intel Skull Canyon rune Windows 10 Pro and following Windows 10 updates, I started having problems with bluetooth operation for my keyboard and mouse. I find every time I restart, the driver fails and I then need to plug in USB mouse and keyboard to uninstall the driver and check for hardware changes. Without fault, it always starts and I can then use my bluetooth devices. As I travel quite a lot, it would mean I always need to carry an extra mouse and keyboard - so very annoying.

The fact the the driver (eventually) starts and everything is working implies to me that there is no underlying hardware problem. There just seems to be something influencing the BT driver at startup.

Is anyone else seeing similar behaviour?

I have done updates to the latest Intel bios, drivers etc.

Thanks,

Stan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello SMala5, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I would like to know if you have tried other Bluetooth* devices to see if they present problems as well on startup. This step is important to see if, in fact, it is the driver the one that is not working properly. Also, I would like to request an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
SMala5
Beginner

Hi Dave,

Thanks for looking into this. I managged to connect to a S8 Galaxy phone. Same problem. The BT subsystem is in a stopped state shortly after startup and never hooks up to anything unless I uninstall the driver and then search for new hardware. The log from the event view is cryptic:

Log Name:   System

Source:    BTHUSB

Date:     30/03/2019 5:32:26 AM

Event ID:   17

Task Category: None

Level:     Error

Keywords:   Classic

User:     N/A

Computer:   DESKTOP-AOVH0A1

Description:

The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="BTHUSB" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49157">17</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-03-30T04:32:26.991739200Z" />

<EventRecordID>11785</EventRecordID>

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-AOVH0A1</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>

</Data>

<Binary>000000000100000000000000110005C0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

I have attached the toolkit log file.

Regards,

Stan

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello SMala5, Thank you for your response. Please try with the following steps: 1 - Press Windows key + R, type services.msc. 2 - Right click on Bluetooth Support service and select Restart. 3 - Right click on Bluetooth support service and select Properties and ensure that the startup type is Automatic. Let me know if this works for you. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
SMala5
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks. Almost fixed it. It was set to manual. I had to change the Bluetooth Audio Gateway Service to Auto as well and then the devices were available after restart.

I have a second Skull Canyon and all the bluetooth services are manual - so it seems to be the default configuration. In case of the first NUC, I had previously installed another bluetooth adapter (I was having performance problems with the iternal BT). This is no longer present (hardware blew up), but perhaps it left behind some sort of software remnant. I also have the custom Jabra bluetooth adapter, but this has been in the system for a while without causing issues.

Anyway, it seems to be fixed for the moment.

Thanks,

Stan

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello SMala5, Thank you for your response. I am really glad to know that it has been fixed for now. However, if you do happen to have any other issue or the same one persists let us know so we can assist you further. As for now, I will proceed to close this request. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation