Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Is it possible to disable SMIs (System management interrupts) from a NUC7i5DNB NUC board?

Hi!

We are hoping to use a Intel NUC device in a test automation project. A traffic generator used in our system requires real-time capabilities and the generator software runs in a PREEMPT_RT Linux image. SMIs (System management interrupts) can have negative impact on real-time qualities.

In our current hardware (with Intel QM77 chipset) we disable the SMIs with the smictrl register manipulation tool. We would like to know if disabling SMIs is possible with the NUC7i5DNB NUC boad, or with other NUC board variants.

Best regards,

Jan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Hello JLipp3, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

We will look into this inquiry and post back in this thread to share our finds. 

Best Regards, 

Daisy J. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi JLipp3,

I am still looking at this issue and I wonder if you happen to know the SMI interrupt source.

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

No, we don't have the device yet.

I think the main source for SMIs is the motherboard (chipset) and they are handled by BIOS/UEFI, but I was unable to figure out the exact chipset used in the NUC7i5DNB NUC board.

So we would be eager to know if there is something special in the motherboard that could be causing SMIs and if it is possible (and safe) to disable them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi JLipp3,

As much as I would like to help you out with this request, this goes beyond my scope of support and after trying to get some help to properly address your request, I believe this issue would be better supported here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum.

The NUC7i5DNBE uses an embedded 7300U SoC (integrated chip, processor + PCH) in case you need to use this for reference.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos