Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12531 Discussions

Is it possible to transfer cpu to 12900K with nuc 12 extreme kit?

Virago7
Beginner

Is it possible to transfer cpu to 12900K with nuc 12 extreme kit?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, it's way worst than you think. The cooling solution in the Compute Elements is designed to cool the 65W Core i9-12900 and 65W Core i7-12700 processors. It's not going to do very well cooling the 125W Core i9-12900K. I would think that the lifetime of the processor will be significantly shortened. I would also think that this would represent a warranty exception; you are expected to provide adequate cooling for the processor present.

Regarding your question, from the BIOS' standpoint, the Core i9-12900K is just an unlocked Core i9-12900. There shouldn't be any compatibility issue there (famous last words?).

...S

View solution in original post

6 Replies
n_scott_pearson

No, the processors are wave-soldered to the board and cannot be replaced. The general way to upgrade is to replace the complete Compute Element with a better one.

Sorry,

...S

Virago7
Beginner

hi,

thank you for answer.

It had a CPU socket, right?

thanks,

n_scott_pearson

Sorry, I misinterpreted your question (and frankly had the NUC11 stuck in my brain). Yes, the processor is listed as being socketed and I suppose could be upgraded to a 12900K (not something I have tried). That's an option I (personally) discard out of hand simply because of the cost involved. The Compute Elements are not sold without processor installed, so you would be eating the cost of at least a Core i7-12700 processor.

...S

Virago7
Beginner

hi,

thank you for your answer. Yes, it costs money, so I wanted to know in advance if it could be replaced.
Does the BIOS really support it?
Exhaust heat is also a concern. .. ..

thanks,

n_scott_pearson

Actually, it's way worst than you think. The cooling solution in the Compute Elements is designed to cool the 65W Core i9-12900 and 65W Core i7-12700 processors. It's not going to do very well cooling the 125W Core i9-12900K. I would think that the lifetime of the processor will be significantly shortened. I would also think that this would represent a warranty exception; you are expected to provide adequate cooling for the processor present.

Regarding your question, from the BIOS' standpoint, the Core i9-12900K is just an unlocked Core i9-12900. There shouldn't be any compatibility issue there (famous last words?).

...S

Steven_Intel

Hello Virago7,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We're glad to know the information provided by Scott helped. Hopefully, it will also help other community members. 

Since the thread is now solved, we will close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.