Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
11785 Discussions

Is static electricity really a big issue when installing RAM/SSD?

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

I am going to install my new RAM and SSD this weekend.  A lot of the instructions say to do it on an anti-static electricity table.  I don't have that.  Is that really important?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I am certain there will be 1000's of responses to this question, with half saying yes and half saying no.

I have two anti-static mats, one in my lab and one in my office (both in my home).  I use proper grounding.  And, I maintain proper humidity levels.   Never had a problem.  Overkill?  Maybe.   In addition to my environment, I handle the components carefully.

Now, all that said, I am sure there were times when I may not have been as careful as I should have been, and certainly whille away from home.  Knock on wood, no problems. 

However, do not be dismissive.  Static can easily take out a component.   Follow the installations as closely as you can.  

Ever touch your kitty's nose and watch it jump?  They hate that.<G>

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

Thanks, got my SSD and RAM installed okay.  After doing a little more research, I did put on shoes with rubber soles.  I couldn't get the screws in the SSD, so I had to use a magnetic screwdriver, which I understand is a another big no-no  ... but I see on the instructional videos that's what most people do, because it's the only way to get them in.  It was pretty tempting to leave the screws out because my SSD already fits so tight, but it's the only way to make sure the SSD is pushed all the way in.  At first I couldn't get the screws in .. and then I realized the SSD wasn't in all the way! 

calzon65
Novice

I figure why take a chance, so I ground myself before/while handling components like RAM, an M.2 module or whatever.  I use a simple wrist strap, but a word of warning, ensure you clip the discharge end to something that is itself grounded. Countless times I have seen people clip the end of the strap to a computer chassis that is itself not grounded.

Here is a picture of a basic (inexpensive) wrist grounding strap.

wrist static grounding strap - Google Search